Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Does motor shut down due to failed oil sensor switch?

I took the harness off the fuel pump so I could check the end with a multi-meter and then started swapping relays.  After going through the cycle and determining relays were good, I came back to this suspect looking jumper connection.  I had to break it apart as it was melted together. Once apart, it was obvious that the original connection had not been made properly, with the male slide on the outside of the female receptacle.  Multimeter shows 12v to the end of the main harness coming from the engine. 
I’m going to go back out and butt-connect the jumper to the main harness and think I should be back in business.  
Of course, still wondering what caused this.   There was puddled oil on the engine mount within 3-4 inches of this connection.   If oil ran into the weakly-made connection, could it cause arcing that would have melted the plastic housing?

356EBA0B-8A96-461B-A7E7-A164623CA3D1.jpeg

Edited by Badger
  • Like 2

smoking gun, good stuff.

as to oil intrusion, i'd guess it may be a contributing factor but that oem "the original connection had not been made properly, with the male slide on the outside of the female receptacle" is certainly part of the equation, too.  

doesn't matter which.  fix it right, repair the oil leak and / or questionable oil sending unit and go to bed tonight with a big fat "problem solved".  

Everything went back together and boat immediately fired right up.  I then spent two hours trying to get the oily water mixture out of the bottom of the bilge.  That part really sucked.  Also realizing that it's impossible to get it all out as there is a false bottom under the engine that still holds a bit of water.

Thank you all for your help.  Once again, the $25/$50 per year that I pay to this site is well worth it for the combination of history threads and real time advice from knowledgeable, helpful, friendly people when facing an issue like this.

Edited by Badger
  • Like 4

Adding the part number for future reference. 

Also concluding that ECM did not shut down the fuel pump.  I’m guessing that I still had plenty of oil pressure and it would have kept pumping into the bilge for quite some time.  The burnt wire might have saved the engine.  

18A973C7-92DE-4DA4-9069-51A0F3C4E1F0.jpeg

• Like 2

That burnt wire in the picture does not look like a factory connection.  I do not have anything like that in my engine room.

6 hours ago, electricjohn said:

That burnt wire in the picture does not look like a factory connection.  I do not have anything like that in my engine room.

Agree.  Definitely not a stock connection.  I had read this thread yesterday morning before I went out to the boat and immediately went searching for connection.  @SmoothWaterMan pointed to an issue with the factory connector melting in a second linked thread.  It appears that the connection in my boat was replaced with an equally poor connection.  Obviously makes me wonder if my boat has now experienced this issue twice!