Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Houseboating in the Delta

obski

Funny story. 'Only on a boat.' :)

I left our Bu with the CFO for a few days this summer. We were both counselors at our church youth camp. It was a tiny lake, owned by PG&E. They used it to make electricity - so the water was dropping by at least a foot a day, sometimes more. The lake was surrounded by HUGE granite formations. And underneath the water was also lots and lots or big rocks.

Well, I left her with the Bu and when I came back the hull had a few scratches at the bottom, but fortunately nothing visible from the waterline, or even the trailer.

It appears they seem to survive without us, but will make things interesting. :)

EDIT:

OK, just wanted to clarify that I didn't mean 'women' above. What I meant was the spouse that's not the main boater. :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• obski

• chathamsolutions

• vlxjeff

• stewart

It was a tiny lake, owned by PG&E.

What lake?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...080338&z=14

Bear River Reservoir. It doesn't even show up as a lake if you look at the 'map' version of Google. But go to the satellite or hybrid and you'll see the lake.

Fun spot. Our church has a camp there every year.

What lake?

Bear River Reservoir. It doesn't even show up as a lake if you look at the 'map' version of Google. But go to the satellite or hybrid and you'll see the lake.

Wow, that looks to be pretty much out in the middle of nowhere. I don't think you are refueling the boat on that lake. I imagine it is pretty though, and not crowded?

How far is it for any medical emergencies? Sorry, I can't help myself from thinking in that way. :lol:

What lake?

Thanks. Cabins? Or tents. Looks pretty cool. I remember going to a PG&E lake near Fresno that was a blast. Wasn't sure if this was the same one. Which its not. But could be fun to go for a weekend.

It's a really small lake.

Our church has a permanent camp there - 99 year lease. Though I slept in the boat most of the nights and in one of the main cabins for a couple as well.

What lake?

Wow, that looks to be pretty much out in the middle of nowhere. I don't think you are refueling the boat on that lake. I imagine it is pretty though, and not crowded?

How far is it for any medical emergencies? Sorry, I can't help myself from thinking in that way. :lol:

It is that, in the middle of nowhere. Don't know how far a hospital is - I'd think Jackson would have something, it's 42 miles away. Or Pioneer. Kirkland is the other way, also within an hour. The camp is large, we had over 200 people there, so we had a qualified nurse there 24/7. Not a Doc, I realize. But we only experienced sprained ankles this trip. Pretty lucky, I saw 4 rattlers personally - 3 large, and a baby close to the water.

The little marina there did have a refueling station. A little wacky though, they didn't take credit cards for most stuff. Forced most people to use their ATM and get cash. Though they did let me 'set up a tab' and put gas on the credit card. Guess if you're spending enough they'll do it. It's basically run by one guy and his marina. They're good folk though, so it wasn't a problem. I'm looking forward to going back again next year.

Here's a closer look at the facility:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...005021&z=18

You can see the tiny dock - fits two boats. The buildings all have 50 year green metal roofs. There's a main lodge and something like 10 cabins.

Typically walked those huge granite boulders up and down from the main lodge 3-4 times a day. A good 10+ minutes up or down.