Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How much money is customary for buddy to pitch in for gas wakesuefing?

Josh7711

While agree with what’s been said by most about not taking money and just happy to have friends along, there was a time (as a teenager and newly wed) I couldn’t afford to do that so I split gas with friends. We would fill up afterwards and split the cost evenly.

Now I have a teenage son and the deal is the same for him. I pay for all family boating but not friend outings. He is welcome to take the boat anytime he likes but it comes back with a full tank, wiped down, and cleaned out. He stops at the gas station on the way home, tops it off, and let’s everyone know what they owe...wish we had Venmo when I was teenager, would have made getting money from my friends so much easier!

Edited by vaporbluebu
  • Like 1

My standard answer is “I don’t ask for it or expect it, but I never turn it down and I always appreciate it.”  

Works well for our usual group. Though I do hold it against people who say “I’ll get to next time”  every time they are out. I’d rather you say nothing at al. 

When my friends and I were in highschool, I obviously could not afford to pay for everyones gas. One guy was in charge of collecting a $10 from everyone going. Extremely cheap for a full day on the water running basically non-stop & I never got a complaint. No inboard at the time, but 150 Merc outboard drank gas all the same!

• Like 1

I think it's nice to offer, but when I have friends I decline.  I can afford to do it, and the value of having another family or friend on the boat is nice.  However, if they offer to pay for a meal later in the day, I generally will let them. I don't want to insult anyone and I find that gracious.  Like has been said before, I appreciate the help with boat, covering, keep it clean more than any $20.  So being respectful and helping is the surest way to get another invite from me :-)

• Like 2

If I invite somebody then I don't expect them to pay.  If they offer, I say no.  But sometimes they put some money in my truck or buy me a small present or something.  It all works out in the long run. 

For slalom it’s about $10. I never ask, but my buds just Venmo after the set. If they don’t, no biggee from my perspective...we had a great time and $10 isn’t going to break me.

when I was growing up our rule was either pay for gas, bring beer for sharing, or be there in the spring and fall to put in/take out docks and hoists. We had 4 docks and 7 hoists, so it was an all day affair.

Edited by braindamage

I remember giving 30-40$ and bringing beer to go surfing on a friend's boat before buying one, and feeling like it was one of the best days of my summer for so little money. It would have pissed me off if they refused to take my money.

When we first got the boat in my 20s, paying for gas for everyone was not really an option, especially at around 6$/gallon at that time, and I remember it would piss us off when friends would come surf all day and not pitch in anything, while we would go skiing with the same friends and they would pay 60-100$ for a day ticket at the resort. Now money is not as tight, we don't ask for anything, usually refuse any money unless its regular crew that I know feel the same I used to do after spending a day wakesurfing: best day ever for 20$.

Money is not as important as being a good crew... please don't bring a backpack full of extra clothes, beach bag with 2 towels, spray sunblock on the seats and make a mess in the boat all day. Our regulars are always eager to help and are part of making it enjoyable for everyone, they are the ones who get reinvited.

That being said if I get invited on someone's boat that hasnt been on mine before, I will pitch in for gas 100% of the time.

I let people know I'm like a crack dealer.  First time is free to get you hooked.  After that it starts to get weird if they have the means and you always refuse.  It is almost like you are refusing a gift.  I will flat out refuse money from those who don't have the means and let them help by bringing sandwiches or drinks if they insist on helping.  Agree with everyone that helping wipe down and clean up shows they truly appreciate the outing. 

On 9/3/2020 at 9:39 AM, hethj7 said:

I always appreciate the offer from guests but I always respond “thanks but I am just happy to have friends out on the water so you don’t owe me anything”.  Many of them will still toss a 20 in my glove box, which we use through the year to buy ice cream and stuff at the docks for everyone.  Most guests always end up bringing some drinks and stuff to share as well.   

For guests that never bring a thing or do not even offer to help out, they eventually don’t get invites.  Those people are few and far between though.   

I didn’t buy the boat with any expectation of folks chipping in with money.  Not getting invited back out is never about not tossing me money - it was likely just you weren’t a great guest in other aspects.  No different if you never get an invite for a backyard BBQ.   

hahahaha

perfectly said