Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Getting back into Slalom Skiing, is the new gear really any different?

Smokedvw

3 hours ago, Rack said:

Skis have changed over the years but the new ones aren't as pretty 

1970's era wooden ski    "Ski King"   aka Burbank water ski Co.

Very true, and I would say that applies to the current crop of boats IMO.

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...

Bumping this up again since this fall my wife started getting comfortable pulling me.  I’m going to be 95% open water and maybe try the course since there’s one where I typically boat.  Also looking to get a father son group set up for Saturday early mornings for some water time.  Been looking at a Senate Alloy but really would like to demo some skis.  May consider a Terrain or HO Omni as well since I’ll be mostly open water and I have a Wakesetter now. 

I skied a 25 year old Connelly this fall and it felt good getting up the first time but it just left me wanting more.  Almost felt like the ski was really bowed up at the top and tail. 

Edited by Nick55

@Nick55 - Awesome and very cool to organize father / son ski sessions.  The course is addicting, those orange balls are like white powder, do it once and you can’t stop.

The new equipment is much better than stuff from the 90’s.  My best advice on choosing a ski - demo and demo some more.  Ski’s and bindings are a very personal thing.  Good vests and a new rope and handle (also a very personal choice).  New rope is important, you don’t want to experience a rope break.  The website ‘Ball of Spray’ will be a go to.

You can now spend the winter dreaming of a shiny, new TXI 😂🤣

What size ski ya looking for?  I have 2 68" Connely DV8s, a 68" Vapor Pro Build, and a 66" Vapor Pro build that could use new homes.  All a season or two old (last gen Vapors, not the new '24).  

1 hour ago, Woodski said:

@Nick55 - Awesome and very cool to organize father / son ski sessions.  The course is addicting, those orange balls are like white powder, do it once and you can’t stop.

The new equipment is much better than stuff from the 90’s.  My best advice on choosing a ski - demo and demo some more.  Ski’s and bindings are a very personal thing.  Good vests and a new rope and handle (also a very personal choice).  New rope is important, you don’t want to experience a rope break.  The website ‘Ball of Spray’ will be a go to.

You can now spend the winter dreaming of a shiny, new TXI 😂🤣

I’ve been on BoS.  That’s a hardcore group….. new vest and rope already arrived.  Not a lot of places local that even sell skis let alone demo, but I’m shopping.  As for the TXi, I just came from an old Supra, the Wakesetter is a compromise to help engage the kids in more watersports and more comforts for the wife.  

53 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

What size ski ya looking for?  I have 2 68" Connely DV8s, a 68" Vapor Pro Build, and a 66" Vapor Pro build that could use new homes.  All a season or two old (last gen Vapors, not the new '24).  

I’m 5’9” and 170, looks like 67 is the size I need.  Those look like some pretty aggressive skis for a newbie, aren’t they?

21 minutes ago, Nick55 said:

I’ve been on BoS.  That’s a hardcore group….. new vest and rope already arrived.  Not a lot of places local that even sell skis let alone demo, but I’m shopping.  As for the TXi, I just came from an old Supra, the Wakesetter is a compromise to help engage the kids in more watersports and more comforts for the wife.  

I’m 5’9” and 170, looks like 67 is the size I need.  Those look like some pretty aggressive skis for a newbie, aren’t they?

67 sounds right.

I am personally not a believer in "too aggressive" with modern skis.  You want the right size, good bindings, and the best newest ski you can afford.  You don't need the latest and greatest but there is no downside to riding one, even if just free skiing.  If I were you I'd be looking at Senates and Vapors in the Radar line or the comparable skis in other lines.  The Senate is a Vapor with a slightly wider mid-section but it's basically the same ski.  Skip the big boy/wide ride skis (Union/Terrane, etc.) as you will grow out of them quickly if you dedicate any real time to the sport.  A 67 Vapor or Senate would be a great ski for you.  If you can score a used Pro Build for a reasonable price even better.

Edit:  And you might as well start listening the Spraymakers now in the offseason.  :)

https://radarskis.com/spraymakers

Edited by jjackkrash
  • Like 2

If trying the course is in your future, I'd go with the Senate in a 67 inch.  It'll free ski really nicely, but the 2/10ths extra width will let you slow the boat down a bit more than the Vapor would.  Those buoys come at you FAST, even when you're skiing so slow you feel like you're sinking.

I ski into 32 off at 34 MPH on a 69" Senate and I'm 250 lbs so you can speed them up nicely too.

I do have a 69" wide-body Terrain that I use for drilling in the course at 30 MPH on rare occasion.  I bought it because it was a deal that was too good to pass up.  It's a fun change of pace ski, but as others have mentioned, it's something you'd quickly outgrow as your primary stick.

I'm literally the same height and weight as you.  67" Senate Alloy.  You won't be disappointed.  As for the Wakesetter... well there's a compromise there.  I have a '97 Tantrum that I have completely re-done and three little boys and it does everything we need it to.  If they really want to surf one day that's for friend's with surf boats on our lake :)  I literally laugh at how economical my Tantrum is to run and maintain compared to the new stuff.

33 minutes ago, Nick55 said:

Thanks folks!  Listening to Spraymakers now, and shopping for a Senate Alloy.  Ski-it-again doesn’t have many listed.   

Doesn't need to be the Alloy.  Any Senate has the chops you need.  Can maybe find some good deals on 2022-2023 Senates in the spring with the new 2024 shape out.

Scour warehouse.com for discounted leftover Senates.  I have found new leftover Vapors on there for under $400.  Sometimes they have deals on skis and bindings as well.  If you don't find anything keep checking back. 

43 minutes ago, Woodski said:

Our parents always told us addiction is a bad, bad thing - @Nick55 your parents are very disappointed but they don't know why yet, you are headed down the dark alley of slalom addiction.  Welcome to the club! :lol:  Happy shopping.

Oh, they’ve been disappointed in me for 40+ years!!!!!  I’m definitely the black sheep of the family.  As for addiction, I can’t stop buying tools.   I’ve been out of wrenching professionally for 12 years but even presently,  I have an order to pick up tomorrow morning…..  The thing is I don’t usually splurge on myself.   I’m perfectly happy with a good used piece of equipment.  I felt like I was a baller when I got my 3 year old F150…… so one decent ski and I’ll be set.  I have just as much fun being the driver for the kids.  

I occasionally look at skis to replace my late-1980's 65" Connoly Shortline II.  I replaced the factory boots several years ago with Vapor boots and I like it a whole lot more than with the original boots.  I have skied on a 67" Radar Senate and liked it, but not enough to replace the old Connoly.  I think the main issue with it was that I probably need a 66" ski since I weigh a little less than 160 pounds.  I know that the 67" Senate was much easier to get up on, but I'm used to the old ski that feels more like a 2x4 getting up so that doesn't really matter to me.  It would be great to try a modern ski that is sized for me. 

I think the other issue is that I generally ski at 30 MPH.  I'm not holding onto any fantasies about being a great skier, but I enjoy an energetic free ski and time on a course when I get invited.  Having everybody snicker at the old dude going slow and only 15 off doesn't bother me at all.  If I relax and let it happen, skiing the course at 30MPH is easy to do.  When I start to think about it, my form goes to heck and I maybe make four or five buoys.  All of those people out there make it look so easy!