Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M5/M6 Impeller Failures

eubanks

Curious why they stopped using the pump/impeller that had worked forever.  Is this because they added the big plastic strainer, or because it couldn't be fitted to the DI cranks?

Edited by oldjeep
31 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Curious why they stopped using the pump/impeller that had worked forever.  Is this because they added the big plastic strainer, or because it couldn't be fitted to the DI cranks?

My 18 Raptor has the Sea Strainer and old pump so I don't see that as the reason.

Well. Here’s my original impeller at 70 hours on my ‘19 I bought from the dealer 12 months ago. Looked good to me so I left it in. 

EEF4B9E3-D1AE-464A-83FE-35CFAEDF5EDE.jpeg

85F6F8A6-A9DF-4187-816E-9EED75AC1335.jpeg

Edited by Slurpee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
ahopkins22LSV

Those are two good comparison pictures. Looks to be a new pump and impeller in @SteveQ posted. Now, I agree. What’s the game plan for 2019 and 2020 owners? I didn’t have any issues last summer and will keep doing what I was doing but I think it’s safe to say we all would like to know what the permanent fix is. Even if that includes a statement about how it may, probably be a slow roll out due to demand and supply chain. 

ahopkins22LSV
5 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

The gold/bronze part.  I would think the lip would evetually wear the impeller?

Inside the housing? To my knowledge that is pretty standard to get the impeller to compress and create the suction. Both pumps appear to have it. I was looking at the center shaft and obviously how one says Johnson and the other does not. 

@ahopkinsVTX - From what I can tell, it will be a case by case fix.  I was worried mine had the older pump and was thinking the same thing of how to get the knew setup on my '21.  So, I had them check while it was having warranty work done.  For those that have the older impellers/pumps, it will, most likely, require trying the run-dry sherwood impellers first.  If you are the type of guy, in general, that only brings to the dealer when needed, I would be sure to keep them informed of the impeller issues.  

2 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Inside the housing? To my knowledge that is pretty standard to get the impeller to compress and create the suction. Both pumps appear to have it. I was looking at the center shaft and obviously how one says Johnson and the other does not. 

Another difference....

The Sherwood is keyed and the Johnson is splined, just like all my old boats.  

ahopkins22LSV
9 minutes ago, Slayer said:

Another difference....

The Sherwood is keyed and the Johnson is splined, just like all my old boats.  

That’s what I meant to say by center shaft. Had only a half cup of coffee in me :lol: 

ahopkins22LSV
27 minutes ago, bcoppess23 said:

@ahopkinsVTX - From what I can tell, it will be a case by case fix.  I was worried mine had the older pump and was thinking the same thing of how to get the knew setup on my '21.  So, I had them check while it was having warranty work done.  For those that have the older impellers/pumps, it will, most likely, require trying the run-dry sherwood impellers first.  If you are the type of guy, in general, that only brings to the dealer when needed, I would be sure to keep them informed of the impeller issues.  

I am one of those guys but I do need to get the boat in this spring for a few minor items so will bring it up. I don’t really care what the fix is or if there is multiple fixes for the generations of builds but I do think it should be presented.

They sent a service bulletin to the dealers last week and are hoping to have parts to the dealers shortly, but from what I am told the parts supply is going to be limited to start. Most 2021’s have the Johnson housings (i believe it’s boats before August that still have Sherwood), but any boat with the Sherwood pump is part of the bulletin.  They are having dealers check the cooling system for air leaks, check the strainer to make sure it is in the proper orientation, and replace the impellers with the new one created by Johnson that they have done extensive testing with.  From what I was told most northern dealers aim to do this as they prep boats for the summer.  

• Thanks 2
ahopkins22LSV
44 minutes ago, COOP said:

1) The fix is the new dry run impeller if you have a Sherwood pump.

2) The Johnson pump is the standard going forward and supposedly has a dry run impeller in it.

Do you have a part number for the dry run impeller so we (I) can order spares?

57 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Do you have a part number for the dry run impeller so we (I) can order spares?

They won’t let the dealers order spares until supply builds up.  Initial shipments are limited to each dealer and to be used for the bulletin only.  With the limited supply dealers won’t have enough to do every boat right away so I know most are prioritizing those that had issues first, as there are many out there like myself who had no issues.  I went 175 hours changing mine every 50 and lucked out.  For now they recommend using the old style impeller as a spare, but they hope to have extra in stock by early summer. The parts system won’t even except orders for the new impeller, but the part number is E100037-HK

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, Wkerat said:

They won’t let the dealers order spares until supply builds up.  Initial shipments are limited to each dealer and to be used for the bulletin only.  With the limited supply dealers won’t have enough to do every boat right away so I know most are prioritizing those that had issues first, as there are many out there like myself who had no issues.  I went 175 hours changing mine every 50 and lucked out.  For now they recommend using the old style impeller as a spare, but they hope to have extra in stock by early summer. The parts system won’t even except orders for the new impeller, but the part number is E100037-HK

This.

• Like 2

I have been lurking and reading this site for a year after purchasing a 20 24MXZ.  After reading this thread I called my dealer they told me Malibu covers a full replacement after 3 blown impellers. I am 2 hours away from my dealer so they are trying to get it covered after 1 blow out and prior to me picking it up. He did also state they have the new unit in stock and will get it replaced for me prior to pick up only question is how much I have to pay.

9 hours ago, Bcott said:

I have been lurking and reading this site for a year after purchasing a 20 24MXZ.  After reading this thread I called my dealer they told me Malibu covers a full replacement after 3 blown impellers. I am 2 hours away from my dealer so they are trying to get it covered after 1 blow out and prior to me picking it up. He did also state they have the new unit in stock and will get it replaced for me prior to pick up only question is how much I have to pay.

If Malibu sticks with a three failure requirement before replacing a pump with a manufacturing defect it is going to more than wear on their market credibility.  We had one go on a weekday trip to the lake with six kids and a couple of friends.  That was bad enough and the dealer is just 45 min from the landing.  Carrying a spare impeller in case some foreign object blocks the raw water intake is good planning.  Having to carry one because of a bad design would be ruinous to their reputation.  What is really offensive is that you have to buy the impeller, don't recall anyone saying that as a just in case Malibu is giving people a spare.

9 hours ago, Surf4FamFun said:

If Malibu sticks with a three failure requirement before replacing a pump with a manufacturing defect it is going to more than wear on their market credibility.  We had one go on a weekday trip to the lake with six kids and a couple of friends.  That was bad enough and the dealer is just 45 min from the landing.  Carrying a spare impeller in case some foreign object blocks the raw water intake is good planning.  Having to carry one because of a bad design would be ruinous to their reputation.  What is really offensive is that you have to buy the impeller, don't recall anyone saying that as a just in case Malibu is giving people a spare.

Ive never heard of this three failure thing. 

No one will have to buy the replacement. If you want a spare, then yes, you will have to buy one.

i have a 20' lsv 22 with a monsoon 62l 410 motor, do i have to be concerned my impeller is shotty? i havent picked up the boat yet due to lake being frozen but i would like to get replacements, if that is going to be neccessary

1 hour ago, EricLsv said:

i have a 20' lsv 22 with a monsoon 62l 410 motor, do i have to be concerned my impeller is shotty? i havent picked up the boat yet due to lake being frozen but i would like to get replacements, if that is going to be neccessary

No idea if it’s “shotty” but it would be hooah of you to always have a spare. 

2 hours ago, EricLsv said:

If its not a Malibu M5 or M6 motor you wont need the new impeller. 

On 3/23/2021 at 2:00 PM, COOP said:

If its not a Malibu M5 or M6 motor you wont need the new impeller. 

My 2021 M240 with the LT4 is getting a "new and improved" impeller as the service person said it was part of the bulletin.  It is at the dealer getting a few punch list items and has 20 hours on it.  October 2020 delivery.  Will try and get more details.