Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M5/M6 Impeller Failures

eubanks

Check to see if the woodruff key is not fully inserted into the water pump shaft.  It may have moved while you were trying to install the impeller.

1 hour ago, ThrashMetash said:

The strange thing is that I can't get the old impeller on either.  It is pretty much missing all the ribs so it should in theory go on with ease.  Its as if the key is too big and won't fit in the keyway but I know it came out of there.

Maybe so, grab a set of calipers and measure the male and female ends. That will give you your answer if you have the right impellar. What impeller do you have?  

3 hours ago, ThrashMetash said:

The strange thing is that I can't get the old impeller on either.  It is pretty much missing all the ribs so it should in theory go on with ease.  Its as if the key is too big and won't fit in the keyway but I know it came out of there.

I have seen some Sherwood pumps that were nearly impossible to install a new impeller into due to the key size.  The entire sea pump was replaced with the new Johnson model in each instance.  Maybe, contact your dealer and see if that is an option.

I'm not sure what impeller came out of there since it was dealer installed - but it won't go back in either.  I'm trying to install the run dry impeller (its blue).  It looks pretty much the same as what came out.

Regarding the woodruff key comment.  I didn't realize the key could move in the shaft.  I thought is was all one piece.  Are you saying it might need to be pushed into the shaft such that it rises less out of the shaft?  When I feel it with my finger it sure feels solid...

I'll contact the dealer but I know they don't have appointments to bring it in for months.  I did get the email a month or so ago from Malibu to take it into the dealer for them to check the pump.

Mine was a bit of a pain to replace the impeller even with the whole pump on my work bench. That key will float in the groove, but if you have the grove facing up with the key inserted it makes it easier. If I could get the key lined up with the groove I could rotate the assembly to get the glycerin coated vanes to slide in. The run dry might be a whole order of magnitude more of a PITA compared to the Sherwood replacement so I can’t comment on that. 

We were at our cabin and Monday afternoon when my daughter was surfing the "High Engine Temperature" alert came across our screen.  We have a 2020 23 LSV with an M6 which unfortunately has the Sherwood pump.  Because of this forum I knew exactly what the problem was.  When we removed the impeller pump cover all of the fins looked good, the problem was the brass shaft would spin inside the impeller so it broke free at some point that day.  Has anyone come across this problem?

I ordered the Globe Run-Dry impeller from Bakes a while back but hadn't switched out.  The spare impeller I had in my boat tool kit on the lake was the original impeller (or maybe version 2) which I installed and will remove at the end of the season.  I also received an impeller from my dealer which is Malibu part number E100037 which says "Johnson 707B-1".  Will this work with the Sherwood pump?  it appears to be the exact same size as the Globe impeller except for the keyed brass inner sleeve which is a bit shorter on the Globe.  

Any info would be appreciated...maybe Coop has run across this?

Guys,

If you have the Sherwood pump get the new impeller from your dealer. It is a custom one made from Johnson to fit the Sherwood housing. It fixes it for 99+% of the people out there. Look at the impeller you get from them to make sure it says Johnson on it.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, JWBeav said:

We were at our cabin and Monday afternoon when my daughter was surfing the "High Engine Temperature" alert came across our screen.  We have a 2020 23 LSV with an M6 which unfortunately has the Sherwood pump.  Because of this forum I knew exactly what the problem was.  When we removed the impeller pump cover all of the fins looked good, the problem was the brass shaft would spin inside the impeller so it broke free at some point that day.  Has anyone come across this problem?

I ordered the Globe Run-Dry impeller from Bakes a while back but hadn't switched out.  The spare impeller I had in my boat tool kit on the lake was the original impeller (or maybe version 2) which I installed and will remove at the end of the season.  I also received an impeller from my dealer which is Malibu part number E100037 which says "Johnson 707B-1".  Will this work with the Sherwood pump?  it appears to be the exact same size as the Globe impeller except for the keyed brass inner sleeve which is a bit shorter on the Globe.  

Any info would be appreciated...maybe Coop has run across this?

That is it.

1 hour ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Guys,

If you have the Sherwood pump get the new impeller from your dealer. It is a custom one made from Johnson to fit the Sherwood housing. It fixes it for 99+% of the people out there. Look at the impeller you get from them to make sure it says Johnson on it.

My dealer just put one in for me this week. I am going to pick up either today or tomorrow and will see if I can get a picture and or the part numbers. 

45 minutes ago, jcon44 said:

My dealer just put one in for me this week. I am going to pick up either today or tomorrow and will see if I can get a picture and or the part numbers. 

I spoke to my Dealer a few minutes ago and the part number he gave me for the new impellor is E100037-HK. He thought it was a Malibu branded part so maybe its being reboxed at Malibu? I may pick one up when I go to get the boat later and will report if there is any more info on it. 

20 minutes ago, jcon44 said:

I spoke to my Dealer a few minutes ago and the part number he gave me for the new impellor is E100037-HK. He thought it was a Malibu branded part so maybe its being reboxed at Malibu? I may pick one up when I go to get the boat later and will report if there is any more info on it. 

It is custom made for Malibu by Johnson. Dealer is the only place to get it.

The -HK number is the kit. If they to ordered the regular number without the -HK they should get the HK one when they receive it.

Edited by 23LSVOwner
Clarification on part number.
1 hour ago, JWBeav said:

does this new and improved impeller need to be changed every 50 hours?

Right now i'd be happy with 50 hours. :) Same as oil change interval work for me. 

19 hours ago, JWBeav said:

Has anyone tried the Globe 626 impeller sold on Bakes?

I have heard folks on the FB page that tried it with similar results to all the others, new one not included. And for $100 that's $40 more that what the new one costs a my dealer..

Go see your dealer, all they need to see is one bent lobe in that Sherwood pump and they will install a new Johnson pump that will use the same ol impeller we`ve used for years