Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M5/M6 Impeller Failures

eubanks

On 3/23/2021 at 11:00 AM, COOP said:

If its not a Malibu M5 or M6 motor you wont need the new impeller. 

Hi COOP,

I just bought a 2021 25 LSV with an LT4. Can you please confirm for me (no pressure) that the impeller issue is not impacting the LT4's?

Many thanks COOP,

Chris

1 hour ago, Chrismoe said:

Hi COOP,

I just bought a 2021 25 LSV with an LT4. Can you please confirm for me (no pressure) that the impeller issue is not impacting the LT4's?

Many thanks COOP,

Chris

You probably meant to tag @COOP to make sure he sees your post.

This is my spare for the 2021 with the new housing. Just got it today. 

For this with 2021’s ask your dealer for a spare. Just cuz... 

Brownie points for whoever finds it online first (I haven’t tried). 

A3EBB673-6E34-48D6-ADF9-D191B81CE230.jpeg

AEB1198B-3B9B-4129-A9C9-F584A3493209.jpeg

C428E602-89C3-4CE0-B3A5-6E5F0BE5B894.jpeg

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 2
18 hours ago, IXFE said:

This is my spare for the 2021 with the new housing. Just got it today. 

For this with 2021’s ask your dealer for a spare. Just cuz... 

Brownie points for whoever finds it online first (I haven’t tried). 

A3EBB673-6E34-48D6-ADF9-D191B81CE230.jpeg

AEB1198B-3B9B-4129-A9C9-F584A3493209.jpeg

C428E602-89C3-4CE0-B3A5-6E5F0BE5B894.jpeg

Unless it is an early 21.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 11:47 AM, Kirk8907 said:

UPDATE:  Got my new boat in last week and dealer says it has the "new pump". Had it in for its first service and the service department says the pump is an Indmar Johnson F6B-9 which takes a Johnson 09-812B impeller.  Hope this helps anyone with similar issues.  So far I've got 20 hrs from new and no failure yet.

UPDATE 2:  So I ran my boat 70 hours last season.  I was told by the dealer and Malibu last year that I had the new pump.  I went to put in a new impeller two days ago and it was the old pump.  Malibu overnighted the new all brass pump (Johnson)  and installed it today.  I Guess that is the permanent fix.  I'll find out tomorrow on the water.

2020 mxz24 with M6. 22.4 hours. Pulled impeller and a couple of vanes  missing. What is part number or how do I get replacement impeller?  Normally I just do myself as not worth going to dealer. 

39 minutes ago, smith3442 said:

2020 mxz24 with M6. 22.4 hours. Pulled impeller and a couple of vanes  missing. What is part number or how do I get replacement impeller?  Normally I just do myself as not worth going to dealer. 

I’d call your dealer and have them get you the proper part #, I think there is an updated impeller. I believe the impeller part # has been posted in this thread several times. 

Was at the dealer to get my boat and they were sharing with me the new impeller puller. Any idea what type of bolt this is and where you could get it?  The inside of the larger bolt is threaded. 

79F48BCD-EDEF-43C0-81ED-C9FD8B379799.jpeg

E2313680-0C51-4465-9CAF-57B88C30A658.jpeg

Edited by bcoppess23
16 minutes ago, bcoppess23 said:

Was at the dealer to get my boat and they were sharing with me the new impeller puller. Any idea what type of bolt this is and where you could get it?  The inside of the larger bolt is threaded. 

https://www.mcmaster.com/screws/thread-adapters/inch-to-npt-male-female-hex-thread-adapters-with-through-hole/

27 minutes ago, bcoppess23 said:

Which impeller is that supposed to work with?  Because the 09-812B-1 doesn't have any threads to engage that outer thread.  Just bought one last week and it looks the same way they always have - about 1/4" of smooth surface.  Or is it intended to cut threads in the impeller?  Neat idea if it works.

24 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Which impeller is that supposed to work with?  Because the 09-812B-1 doesn't have any threads to engage that outer thread.  Just bought one last week and it looks the same way they always have - about 1/4" of smooth surface.  Or is it intended to cut threads in the impeller?  Neat idea if it works.

The malibu version. 

CDF318DD-ECD9-4E4D-8136-5BB9F16480D5.jpeg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bcoppess23 said:

The malibu version. 

Well, that is interesting.  So Johnson re-used the same part number and started putting threads in them.

I bought this one last week - no threads.  Great idea though.  Might need to tap this one

IMG_20210407_064618.jpg

IMG_20210407_072212.jpg

Edited by oldjeep
13 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Well, that is interesting.  So Johnson re-used the same part number and started putting threads in them.

I bought this one last week - no threads.  Great idea though.  Might need to tap this one

IMG_20210407_064618.jpg

IMG_20210407_072212.jpg

I am not sure if they did tap it or if Malibu did it as it comes in a Malibu box.  But it is a good idea.

6 minutes ago, bcoppess23 said:

I am not sure if they did tap it or if Malibu did it as it comes in a Malibu box.  But it is a good idea.

Be pretty weird for Malibu to want to be re-machining impellers just due to the potential contamination issues.  Would make more sense that Johnson machined the hubs with an extra step before the rubber goes on, but who knows.

Out of curiosity - what is Malibu charging for an impeller?  They are $33.50 on Amazon

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2
19 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Be pretty weird for Malibu to want to be re-machining impellers just due to the potential contamination issues.  Would make more sense that Johnson machined the hubs with an extra step before the rubber goes on, but who knows.

Out of curiosity - what is Malibu charging for an impeller?  They are $33.50 on Amazon

Good question.  I'll ask when I'm at the dealer on Saturday.  I'm asking them to give me one with the boat, so we'll see what they say. 

1 minute ago, Slayer said:

Good question.  I'll ask when I'm at the dealer on Saturday.  I'm asking them to give me one with the boat, so we'll see what they say. 

Cool - and see if they have the threaded one.  The spare that @IXFE got was the same Johnson packaging/non threaded impeller as mine, not the malibu box that @bcoppess23 is describing.

1 minute ago, oldjeep said:

Cool - and see if they have the threaded one.  The spare that @IXFE got was the same Johnson packaging/non threaded impeller as mine, not the malibu box that @bcoppess23 is describing.

Will do.  I noted that as well.  I find it interesting.  In any case, I like the idea of the treaded solution.  It would make pulling it much easier I would think.  But, I've never changed one on a newer boat so we'll see how that goes, I guess.  

3 minutes ago, Slayer said:

Will do.  I noted that as well.  I find it interesting.  In any case, I like the idea of the treaded solution.  It would make pulling it much easier I would think.  But, I've never changed one on a newer boat so we'll see how that goes, I guess.  

I don't think they are all that hard to change - just replaced mine last week.  But the idea of threading that spot is so simple, and then to use a pulley puller where there is limited space is a really elegant solution.

Edited by oldjeep

OK, so here is the answer straight from Johnson SPX

I filled out the contact form on their site, expecting an email and an engineer called me 10 minutes later.

The threaded hub is exclusive to Malibu (and apparently Volvo) packaged 812 B1 impellers.  The hubs will not be threaded on the Johnson SPX boxed impellers - even though they are printing the same part number on both types of impellers.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 2
6 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

OK, so here is the answer straight from Johnson SPX

I filled out the contact form on their site, expecting an email and an engineer called me 10 minutes later.

The threaded hub is exclusive to Malibu (and apparently Volvo) packaged 812 B1 impellers.  The hubs will not be threaded on the Johnson SPX boxed impellers - even though they are printing the same part number on both types of impellers.

Thanks for the information.  Interesting that they didn't change the part no.  

4 minutes ago, Slayer said:

Thanks for the information.  Interesting that they didn't change the part no.  

I'll bet internally it has a different one.  But since the part number is on the rubber and the difference is the hub - they would have to change the mold for the rubber to change the part number.  He did say that they are interchangeable, just a matter of if you want the puller threads or not. 

2 hours ago, bcoppess23 said:

The malibu version. 

That's the impeller for the new Johnson pump. The new Johnson impeller for the sherwood pumps ia a dealer only part right now.