Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M5/M6 Impeller Failures

eubanks

On 1/26/2021 at 9:36 PM, dlb said:

Dealer won’t touch the impeller issue at this time.  They say since they did not install the impeller at 50 hours, I did, not their issue......

Not right.

Call Malibu CS and select the engine option on the menu:

865-458-5478

Edited by 23LSVOwner
  • Like 3
On 1/27/2021 at 8:17 AM, 23LSVOwner said:

Not right.

Call Malibu CS and select the engine option on the menu:

865-458-5478

My dealer and I have had a follow up conversation and have an equitable solution.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Picked up my 2021 with the M6 last October and have been wondering what raw water pump and impeller are on the boat.  Pulled the cover off this weekend and it's a Johnson 812.  Spare Globe 100J on its way.

9 hours ago, SteveQ said:

Picked up my 2021 with the M6 last October and have been wondering what raw water pump and impeller are on the boat.  Pulled the cover off this weekend and it's a Johnson 812.  Spare Globe 100J on its way.

I picked up my boat in October and had the dealer check to confirm, it is the new pump.. that has me feeling a tad better now!

Has anyone heard anything more on this topic from their dealer?  I keep hearing the new impeller materials/design has fixed the problem from my service tech but read that Malibu was working on a dry run impeller to replace the current design.  Out boat has 100 hours and hasn't experienced the problems some boats have, hope it stays that way.  Anyone know any more?

I spoke to a service tech at our local dealership today and he mentioned they don't yet have the new impellers but are expecting them by mid-summer. I was in the process of buying my first Malibu but honestly after reading this, I am rather concerned about spending that much on a brand new boat that may experience these sorts of issues and may leave us stranded or at least without a boat for several weeks in peak season. How commonplace is this, and should I consider waiting for the '22s?

I just emailed our service manager who said the new "V2" impeller version solves the problem.  Since the pump sits up high on the motor the water drains from the pump when you trailer and upon start up it is dry.  This is at least his take so who knows...Our boat is a late model 2020 which was received last May, so maybe it had the newer impeller as we haven't experienced any issues and it looked brand new when we changed it at 50 and 90 hours. 

I would not hesitate to buy a 2020 or 2021 and just make sure you have the newer impeller.  It is very easy to pop the cover off the pump and check the impeller.  I think the newer 2021's (after mid year) have the newer Johnson pump, not sure if there are impeller issues with those.  The only boat I would think about purchasing over our 23 LSV would be the M240, the wave on that boat rips!   

Most 2021's have received a new housing.  I can confirm mine, end of Sept 2020 build, has the new housing, which means, new impeller.  This combo is supposed to also help.  The run dry is from my understanding, added insurance.

12 hours ago, bcoppess23 said:

Most 2021's have received a new housing.  I can confirm mine, end of Sept 2020 build, has the new housing, which means, new impeller.  This combo is supposed to also help.  The run dry is from my understanding, added insurance.

Got pics of this new housing?

• Like 1

The new dry run impellers are for the Sherwood pump housings. If you have a Johnson pump you are ok.

The Johnson pumps have raised fins at 12, 3, 6, and 9.

They are currently limiting how many can be ordered as supply is still short.

Edited by COOP
16 hours ago, JWBeav said:

I just emailed our service manager who said the new "V2" impeller version solves the problem.  Since the pump sits up high on the motor the water drains from the pump when you trailer and upon start up it is dry.  This is at least his take so who knows...Our boat is a late model 2020 which was received last May, so maybe it had the newer impeller as we haven't experienced any issues and it looked brand new when we changed it at 50 and 90 hours. 

I would not hesitate to buy a 2020 or 2021 and just make sure you have the newer impeller.  It is very easy to pop the cover off the pump and check the impeller.  I think the newer 2021's (after mid year) have the newer Johnson pump, not sure if there are impeller issues with those.  The only boat I would think about purchasing over our 23 LSV would be the M240, the wave on that boat rips!   

The V2 is NOT the dry run impeller. If you have a sherwood pump be sure and get the dry run impeller.

So maybe the V2 is the latest and greatest fin for the Sherwood pump?  Wondering if the newer Johnson pump is a direct replacement for the Sherwood for the boats experiencing problems?

34 minutes ago, JWBeav said:

So maybe the V2 is the latest and greatest fin for the Sherwood pump?  Wondering if the newer Johnson pump is a direct replacement for the Sherwood for the boats experiencing problems?

The V2  is not the latest and greatest. The new dry run impeller is.

The V2 was supposed to correct the issue, but did not.

I believe Johnson is the pump coming on all the new boats, and apparently comes with a dry run impeller.

3 hours ago, COOP said:

The V2  is not the latest and greatest. The new dry run impeller is.

The V2 was supposed to correct the issue, but did not.

I believe Johnson is the pump coming on all the new boats, and apparently comes with a dry run impeller.

Can you post a pic of the NEW Johnson pump?  I’d like to compare it to what I see in my new 2021 24 MXZ. 

Ar first glance the pump housing looks no different than the pump on my 2020 25 LSV. 

Just trying to figure out what I have so I can get the right spare impeller. 

Edited by IXFE
1 hour ago, Five Cent Worth said:

I was told all '21 are fixed with no issues.  This is from multiple people at the dealership.  For what it is worth....

I have also heard this from folks at the factory. What I’m trying to understand is...

1) was the fix a new pump -and- a new impeller, or

2) just a new impeller in the old pump?

I’ve heard both stories. I suppose it doesn’t matter as long as it works and I know which spare impeller to carry in my glove box. 

not sure why everything is being kept on the DL, sure would be nice for them to provide a formal update to all of the people who have '19's and '20's with the old pump/impeller.  I have searched and searched for a run dry impeller for the Sherwood pump and can't seem to find the right one.  Dealer doesn't know of one either...