Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M5/M6 Impeller Failures

eubanks

The 2021 Malibu and Axis boats use two elbow fittings on the sea strainer so the clear threaded screen reservoir faces down and retains water.  If your impeller has been replaced recently, and your strainer has straight fittings that allows the water to drain out of it, and you are still having impeller failures, then talk to your dealer about having the straight fittings replaced with the elbows so the strainer faces down and holds water.  Hopefully it will help.

ahopkins22LSV
7 minutes ago, csleaver said:

The 2021 Malibu and Axis boats use two elbow fittings on the sea strainer so the clear threaded screen reservoir faces down and retains water.  If your impeller has been replaced recently, and your strainer has straight fittings that allows the water to drain out of it, and you are still having impeller failures, then talk to your dealer about having the straight fittings replaced with the elbows so the strainer faces down and holds water.  Hopefully it will help.

I’ve noticed all of the 2021 boats have the transom flush kit. Does this have anything to do with it?

I've noticed that too.  There is a smaller elbow threaded into the top of the sea strainer housing with a hose that goes to the engine flush fitting on the port transom.  It isn't directly related, but it is one more fitting that I've had to reseal and tighten on a few boats to prevent leaks.  Any loose fitting on the inlet side of the sea pump is bad news.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I’ve noticed all of the 2021 boats have the transom flush kit. Does this have anything to do with it?

It only makes sense that this is a priming problem and that the flush kit will keep the impeller primed.  The flip side is that you should probably run on a hose the first time when you de-winterize so that the pump primes again.

ahopkins22LSV
21 minutes ago, justgary said:

It only makes sense that this is a priming problem and that the flush kit will keep the impeller primed.  The flip side is that you should probably run on a hose the first time when you de-winterize so that the pump primes again.

I wasn’t implying that it was the fix. Just happened to notice it on every 21 at the dealer so figured it was worth asking. 

I don't see how adding even more flow restriction in the form of elbows will fix the issue. BICBW. The only potential benefit that I could see would be to allow water to remain in the line between the winterizing kit (one way flow) and the raw water pump. This might allow the impeller to remain water soaked longer and keep it from being run dry as fast. Maybe the impeller needs to be wet to have a good seal to create the nearly 2' draw from the water. Which might explain why they are going to a Globe run dry impeller. I haven't seem or heard anyone addressing the kink in the hose below the strainer. It may or may not make a difference, but there was a lot of restriction in mine before I fixed it very early on in my owner ship.

I doubt a pump would even be considered when held up against a @$45.00 impeller. Placing the winterization kit (shown) just above the sea kock would allow water to remain in the line to prime it and would be a lot cheaper. It would be real easy to winterize the kit by  putting  the plastic blue wing nut on it.

On 9/16/2020 at 8:54 PM, Sixer said:

Does that imply that if I order a 2021 there is still potentially an issue??  Makes me nervous for sure..........

No.

Can't go into details, but it will not have an issue with the impeller.

• Like 2
36 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

No.

Why will the 21’s not have the same issue?  I have looked at 21’s and the 21’s have the same pumps as my 2020. What has Malibu done differently to fix the issue?  Why say anything if you can’t go into details on what the fix is?!!

Edited by dwc032
1 hour ago, 23LSVOwner said:

No.

So do they have a fix for us with 2020's?  I went through 3 impellers last season in 93hrs.  One was my fault (sand in sea strainer) but the other 2 were not.  I'm bringing mine in a day after I take her out of storage and sure hope they have a resolution to the problem.  I hate having a brand new boat I don't trust, my VTX never let me down.

1 hour ago, dwc032 said:

Why will the 21’s not have the same issue?  I have looked at 21’s and the 21’s have the same pumps as my 2020. What has Malibu done differently to fix the issue?  Why say anything if you can’t go into details on what the fix is?!!

If you have not received your boat you you will see a difference. I said something because you asked.

I could have easily said nothing and let you keep on wondering.

59 minutes ago, dcarl said:

So do they have a fix for us with 2020's?  I went through 3 impellers last season in 93hrs.  One was my fault (sand in sea strainer) but the other 2 were not.  I'm bringing mine in a day after I take her out of storage and sure hope they have a resolution to the problem.  I hate having a brand new boat I don't trust, my VTX never let me down.

It is coming.

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

If you have not received your boat you you will see a difference. I said something because you asked.

It is coming.

What does the above post even mean?  I am not wondering anymore, I carry spare impellers everywhere I go. I have gotten changing the M6 impeller down to about 10 minutes.  

You obviously work for a dealer or know someone who has information on the impeller issue. And if that the case maybe you should stop posting, I am sure your boss/whatever wouldn't want you to be posting on a public forum. The 21's still have impeller issues, my buddy just bought a 21 23lsv.  He lives in Alabama, and just smoked his impeller in less then 10 hours.  

I am not trying to be a jerk, but we are all frustrated about this issue. And to post up cryptic messages about a "fix" that is coming is frustrating. 

14 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Really? We have a member that is giving you real info and you want him to stop posting? Don’t let your frustration stop someone that is trying to help within the boundaries he was given. 

No, I don't want him to stop posting.  You are taking what I said out of context. My brother was one of the lead engineers on the new Acura NSX. He knew plenty, but kept what he knew to himself till he could actually talk about it.  He knew about fixes and recalls and still wouldn't tell me what it was and I am his brother.  

3 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

It is coming.

Odd post. 

We have 2021s in stock and the pumps look the same.

Rumor is still run dry impellers, but no official service bulletin yet.

6 hours ago, COOP said:

Odd post. 

We have 2021s in stock and the pumps look the same.

Rumor is still run dry impellers, but no official service bulletin yet.

Thanks.  

Mine is currently at the dealer, this is on the list for warranty work.  We will see what the results are in a few days.

10 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

Are the 2020’s different than the 2019?  My 2019 m6 has not had the impeller problems you guys are stating. I am just trying to get more info 

All of them do not experience the issue.

I brought up the impeller issues with my dealer...he said they had a handful of boats with issues but haven't seen any issues with the 2021s.  I'm still ordering an extra couple since they are an hour way.  Appreciate all the info.  Brutal story...he said he delivered a brand new 2020 to a customer...launched the boat with his family and impeller blew in 2 minutes.  I can't imagine being him or the customer that day.  Terrible

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, Culbear25Lsv said:

I brought up the impeller issues with my dealer...he said they had a handful of boats with issues but haven't seen any issues with the 2021s.  I'm still ordering an extra couple since they are an hour way.  Appreciate all the info.  Brutal story...he said he delivered a brand new 2020 to a customer...launched the boat with his family and impeller blew in 2 minutes.  I can't imagine being him or the customer that day.  Terrible

That would suck. Better than blowing a transmission up though! I had that happen...

Regardless of history of impeller issues or not, it’s the best spare part you can have. Can easily save a weekend with a few minutes of minor inconvenience for $50. I always carried one in my response even though that had a very reliable setup. 

• Like 3
On 1/25/2021 at 8:59 PM, dlb said:

Thanks.  

Mine is currently at the dealer, this is on the list for warranty work.  We will see what the results are in a few days.

Dealer won’t touch the impeller issue at this time.  They say since they did not install the impeller at 50 hours, I did, not their issue......