Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2021 24 Mxz

Bman1

Any other feedback from people on this new 24MXZ? 

I have spent a little more time  and put more weight in it and the M6di engine is not cutting it with the 2755 torque prop and extra weight.  Speed set at 22.7 and in lift mode stopped accelerating at about 21mph.....  In lift mode!  wth? I have PnP full + 500 lbs of lead and 2 people at 350ft above sea level. 

Like I said before I can deal with fit & finish issues if the main reason for using the boat is on point.  

1 hour ago, Gene3x said:

I have spent a little more time  and put more weight in it and the M6di engine is not cutting it with the 2755 torque prop and extra weight.  Speed set at 22.7 and in lift mode stopped accelerating at about 21mph.....  In lift mode!  wth? I have PnP full + 500 lbs of lead and 2 people at 350ft above sea level. 

Like I said before I can deal with fit & finish issues if the main reason for using the boat is on point.  

A friend of mine just got a 2021 23LSV with M6DI. We have it setup the same(750s in rear and 500lb or lead), except with like 10 people in the boat and it still got up on plane set to 22.5. And that was only at like 3/4 throttle input.

Edited by boardjnky4
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, boardjnky4 said:

A friend of mine just got a 2021 23LSV with M6DI. We have it setup the same(750s in rear and 500lb or lead), except with like 10 people in the boat and it still got up on plane set to 22.5. And that was only at like 3/4 throttle input.

Yeah I figure it would be perfect for the 23LSV even adding extra weight but this 24MXZ weighs 1100lbs more dry plus the larger tank ect....  

2 hours ago, Gene3x said:

I’m not a prop expert but based on others saying their setup doesn’t have issues, I’m guessing you are over spinning the torque prop and the prop is slipping causing you to not reach speed. I’d reach out to your dealer to request trying to the standard or speed prop offered. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I’m not a prop expert but based on others saying their setup doesn’t have issues, I’m guessing you are over spinning the torque prop and the prop is slipping causing you to not reach speed. I’d reach out to your dealer to request trying to the standard or speed prop offered. 

Man do I hope you are correct!   I will be trying several different ones for sure.  Standard is 3077 ?   I was hoping a more aggressive cup would help as well because I really want to put even more weight in it to achieve the G23 like wake but with more transition to land on. The old Xstar had this effect with a long transition that did not get really good until you absolutely slammed it with weight.  Maybe even a 17.5" prop? 

2 minutes ago, Gene3x said:

Man do I hope you are correct!   I will be trying several different ones for sure.  Standard is 3077 ?   I was hoping a more aggressive cup would help as well because I really want to put even more weight in it to achieve the G23 like wake but with more transition to land on. The old Xstar had this effect with a long transition that did not get really good until you absolutely slammed it with weight.  Maybe even a 17.5" prop? 

Where is all the weight in your boat?  If you don't have any up front, I would try moving some up there...

Just now, bcoppess23 said:

Where is all the weight in your boat?  If you don't have any up front, I would try moving some up there...

most midship..  Plenty of weight up front with 200lbs of lead in the anchor locker and the bow riding as though it wants to scoop water already.  Trust me I have tried several setups.   It has to be the prop or the engine. 

The weird thing is that it rides up to speed pretty flat and looks like it is on plane but never reaches speed.  I did see in another thread that the reverse angle wedge in lift mode may be the culprit oddly enough, which kind of makes sense.  Could the lift mode be diving the nose to much causing it to plow more hull surface in the water? 

50 minutes ago, Gene3x said:

Yeah I figure it would be perfect for the 23LSV even adding extra weight but this 24MXZ weighs 1100lbs more dry plus the larger tank ect....  

wow, didn't realize it was that much heavier.

I'll say this. I believe the engines are governed via programming. The M5 and M6 act differently than any other engine I've had in a boat. Regardless of prop size or gear ratio. They just don't rev out on plane like other engines do. And there is nothing different about it than any other engine. The props they are running WILL slip and allow the engine to rev to 5000-5200 rpm in any other boat. But the Mx engines never get above 5k rpm, not matter how much throttle you throw at it.

And I'll say lastly, that I tested out a 23MXZ (M5DI), that WOULD rev up high, over 5k rpms to plane off. Then the same boat went in for some work, probably got its computer flashed (among other things), and then I noticed that it was behaving as above. We could not run the exact same ballast setup as before the work was performed.

Edited by boardjnky4
4 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

Then the same boat went in for some work, probably get it's computer flashed, and then I noticed that it was behaving as above. We could not run the exact same ballast setup as before the work was performed.

Well this does not inspire confidence.  They are probably fairly conservative with tuning in order to keep maintenance issues to a minimum.

6 minutes ago, Gene3x said:

Well this does not inspire confidence.  They are probably fairly conservative with tuning in order to keep maintenance issues to a minimum.

It's just like the deal with the stereos. IF they are detuned, it's so that they don't get damaged by people that abuse them and then show up for warranty coverage.

Frankly, the 5 year warranty sounds great, but I'm sure Malibu is losing their a** on it.

4 hours ago, Gene3x said:

Really hard to believe there’s not some other issue going on. My 2019 24mxz with m6 at 360’ above seal level had absolutely no problems getting on plane wakeboarding no matter how many people I had in the boat. I was more than happy. I know yours is the new hull and weighs a little more, but it shouldn’t make that much of a difference. I had the 3077 prop, 150 lbs lead up front, 250 lbs in port storage, and plug n play full. I was even on a 2020 A24 a couple times the last month with an m5 and manual wedge that would get on plane wakeboarding with 7 adults in the boat. You should not be having those issues. I think it’s something more than the prop. You should still plane out fine with your prop, but that’s definitely something for your dealer to work out 

27 minutes ago, cptotr said:

I was even on a 2020 A24 a couple times the last month with an m5 and manual wedge that would get on plane wakeboarding with 7 adults in the boat. 

How did the A24 stackup to your wake?  I am curious about the transition as you step up the lip to a steep one on wedge 4 or 5.

6 hours ago, boardjnky4 said:

My '19 23LSV with the M6 and the 15" stock prop (not surf or high alt) will get up on plane and go with the tanks+bags full (ie: just finished surfing and need to go without waiting for the ballast to drain)  and 8 people on board.  Very impressed with the ability of the M6 when the boat is loaded down.

9 hours ago, Gene3x said:

Are you slamming the throttle wide open. Sometimes on my 2019 25LSV. The speed control won’t lock I find that if I back off briefly the speed control will lock. So what I do is momentarily back the throttle down. all of a sudden I get the speed control to engage it will then take over. This has been discussed quite a few times on here. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

Are you slamming the throttle wide open. Sometimes on my 2019 25LSV. The speed control won’t lock I find that if I back off briefly the speed control will lock. So what I do is momentarily back the throttle down. all of a sudden I get the speed control to engage it will then take over. This has been discussed quite a few times on here. 

I am pinning it actually.  I will try this. When surfing it never actually engages but still holds speed with the throttle pinned. Wake speeds it does not. Thank you for the insight. 

That’s a good point @Sparky450. I would try just rolling the throttle forward. The M series engine have lots of torque lower range and mid range so I think if you slam the throttle past that it doesn’t utilize all of the potential torque curve. I’m just spit balling because I can only say what I feel in our boat with the M5 and even my truck with the same engine. If I mat the pedal in my truck it’s not as quick/fast as if I work the throttle through the torque curves as I feel the engine pulling stronger. At least that is what my butt gauge tells me. 

10 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

I was thinking this, too.  I almost have to feather the throttle up to get it to engage.  Slamming it down results in it not being able to get to even surf speeds.  

Might be different on the Axis line, but no issues with over slammed A24, full ballast, 1100lead, 8-10 people getting on plane with 18" prop and m6. 

Full slammed A22, full ballast, 800 lead, 3-4people, 2773 prop m5 (thought not super fast to get to wakeboard speeds. it does)

26 minutes ago, agarabaghi said:

Might be different on the Axis line, but no issues with over slammed A24, full ballast, 1100lead, 8-10 people getting on plane with 18" prop and m6. 

Full slammed A22, full ballast, 800 lead, 3-4people, 2773 prop m5 (thought not super fast to get to wakeboard speeds. it does)

You should try the 15.5x13 prop on your A22. It rocks. I have a 15.5x14 (re-pitched 15.5x13 by Nettle), and it's seriously a game changer. Gets a ton of weight on plane and holds speed better.

30 minutes ago, agarabaghi said:

Full slammed A22, full ballast, 800 lead, 3-4people, 2773 prop m5 

I am confused....  18" prop?  Which 18" prop?  This might be the difference. 

39 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

You should try the 15.5x13 prop on your A22. It rocks. I have a 15.5x14 (re-pitched 15.5x13 by Nettle), and it's seriously a game changer. Gets a ton of weight on plane and holds speed better.

fits no issue? 

35 minutes ago, Gene3x said:

I am confused....  18" prop?  Which 18" prop?  This might be the difference. 

We put an 18" prop on the 2020 A24.... ill get the specs. 

11 minutes ago, agarabaghi said:

fits no issue? 

We put an 18" prop on the 2020 A24.... ill get the specs. 

yeah it fits. MIGHT burn your gel over the course of around 100-150 hours, but I have not noticed ANYTHING yet.

Just now, boardjnky4 said:

yeah it fits. MIGHT burn your gel over the course of around 100-150 hours, but I have not noticed ANYTHING yet.

got a link to the prop? or info?