Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2021 M240 Leans to Starboard

TRLMalibu

My dealer said the 2021 has a different rudder than the 2020. The 2021 rudder does not have the steering adjustment like the 2020 model does. They are working with Malibu to get a 2020 rudder for it. The dealer compared it to a 2020 model, and admited there is something not right for sure. They said adjusting the sterring adjustment to starboard almost always fixes the lean given there are no other ongoing issues. 

• Like 1

Just an update. Dealer sent Malibu video of running and the wave. Waiting to hear back from engineers at Malibu. They admit something is not correct. 

On 8/12/2020 at 7:39 AM, BlindSquirrel said:

+1 for another auto bilge warning often on a 2019 lsv 25. 

+2 

Ours probably comes on 10-15 times while out for the entire day. I always chalked it up to normal shaft drip and people coming in and out of the boat wet. And perhaps a sensitive pump sensor. 

47 minutes ago, eubanks said:

+2 

Ours probably comes on 10-15 times while out for the entire day. I always chalked it up to normal shaft drip and people coming in and out of the boat wet. And perhaps a sensitive pump sensor. 

Do these new boats have a drip shaft? I haven’t looked, but assumed they were dripless. Good call about a sensitive sensor maybe and wet people bringing in water setting it off. 

10 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Do these new boats have a drip shaft? I haven’t looked, but assumed they were dripless. Good call about a sensitive sensor maybe and wet people bringing in water setting it off. 

The new boats all have a dripless seal.

Any of you guys with the bilge issue have a front camera? We had a 24 MXZ that they did not seal up the camera mount on, just installed dry, no sealant. And while running with ballast the break water would push in under the camera mount. over the course of a day it would be a fair amount of water and kick the auto bilge on. This was only when fully ballast/sacked out.

Edited by COOP
1 hour ago, eubanks said:

+2 

That doesn't sound right.  Maybe once or twice in a day with lots of swimming and wet kids getting on the boat, but 10-15 times in a day would indicate a leak of some sort.  I know my boat had some leaking ballast pump thru hulls from the factory that let in quite ab it of water.  To give you an example... my 2019 23LSV has had the auto bilge pump come on after a few days of running hard and swimming with the kiddos and that is with little kiddos who love to jump repeatedly from the sundeck and bring in a lot of water.  If the kids are going crazy back there then there is no water in my bilge.. or so little water that its not even worth pulling the center trail plug when I pull it out of the water.

2 hours ago, COOP said:

The new boats all have a dripless seal.

Any of you guys with the bilge issue have a front camera? We had a 24 MXZ that they did not seal up the camera mount on, just installed dry, no sealant. And while running with ballast the break water would push in under the camera mount. over the course of a day it would be a fair amount of water and kick the auto bilge on. This was only when fully ballast/sacked out.

Yep front camera here. I’ll check for sealant. 👍

On 8/12/2020 at 5:15 AM, GSell14 said:

I have the same issues with my 2019 25 LSV.  Leans to the starboard slightly before getting on plane and stays that way.  With full ballast and surfing speeds, its level.

I also have the bilge issue.  The auto bilge warning kicks on about every 5 mins when under power.  Neither of these issues could be fixed by the dealer. After searching this forum and reading about the prop rotation, I added 300 lbs to the port side almost directly across from the helm.  Fixed the issue.  Still have not solved the auto bilge issue though.

I had neither of these issues with my 2016 23 LSV.

Same issue (lean) with my 2019 25 lsv and I offset it with more weight on the portside. I have 230 hours and it is great!

Do my dealer said Malibu is being no help whatsoever. I called a dealer that has a 2021 M240 in stock, and they said theirs runs perfectly level. In fact, they had one 2020 M240, and have had two 2021 M240s, all ran perfectly level. My dealer said they will figure it out or order me a new boat. 

ahopkins22LSV
11 minutes ago, TRLMalibu said:

Do my dealer said Malibu is being no help whatsoever. I called a dealer that has a 2021 M240 in stock, and they said theirs runs perfectly level. In fact, they had one 2020 M240, and have had two 2021 M240s, all ran perfectly level. My dealer said they will figure it out or order me a new boat. 

is that other dealer close enough to go drive those M240's as a demo? No offense to that dealer, but they probably are just saying that or don't notice the lean.

• Like 2

They have a video of it on their web page, and you can verify it is level in the running footage. The dealer was very helpful in assisting, and had nothing to gain or lose. My dealer called them and to ask some questions, and they were very helpful they said. 

• Like 2

I spoke to Hagadon Malibu dealer, and they have had 20 M240s (a lot), and they have had 5 that listed to starboard, but not as severe as mine. They said they all do it a bit, but the 5 really did it. They cannot figure it out either, and are encountering the same customer issues as I have. Malibu blames it on the 18 inch prop, but they swapped it out for a 17 inch and it still did it. Run two identical boats side by side, one leans, one doesnt. Very frustrating. 

Edited by TRLMalibu
3 minutes ago, TRLMalibu said:

I spoke to Hagadon Malibu dealer, and they have had 20 M240s (a lot), and they have had 5 that listed to starboard, but not as severe as mine. They said they all do it a bit, but the 5 really did it. They cannot figure it out either, and are encountering the same customer issues as I have. Malibu blames it on the 18 inch prop, but they swapped it out for a 17 inch and it still did it. Run two identical boats side by side, one leans, one doesnt. Very frustrating. 

Have they ever tried weighing each axle to see if it's weight distribution related or running gear related?

Im not sure on weighing an axle, as I dont really know what you mean. As far as weight distribution, about 450-550 lbs on port evens it out. As far as running gear, they have measured the fins, alignment, rudder, and prop. All check out perfect. 

Heard from someone at the factory, and they think they put too much fiberglass into the starboard side. Very nice conversation, but still no fix and they are still working on it. Additionally, I got an 02 error code thrown on my engine over the weekend, then the next day the main helm screen quit working and froze. I tried to turn off the engine, but the start/stop button was inoperative. I turned off the battery, and then could not restart the boat (use the code). After sitting for about 10 min, it finally started. Dealer ordered a new main computer, and reprogammed something with the engine to address the code. I am beginning to think I have a total lemon M240. 10 hours on it, and a myriad of issues. 

• Sad 2
22 minutes ago, TRLMalibu said:

Heard from someone at the factory, and they think they put too much fiberglass into the starboard side. Very nice conversation, but still no fix and they are still working on it. Additionally, I got an 02 error code thrown on my engine over the weekend, then the next day the main helm screen quit working and froze. I tried to turn off the engine, but the start/stop button was inoperative. I turned off the battery, and then could not restart the boat (use the code). After sitting for about 10 min, it finally started. Dealer ordered a new main computer, and reprogammed something with the engine to address the code. I am beginning to think I have a total lemon M240. 10 hours on it, and a myriad of issues. 

Doesn't sound like a lemon , sounds like pretty normal teething issues for a Malibu.  the computers in these boats are known to freeze just as yours did (with the inability to turn off the motor)... both the old pre-2020 software and the 2020+ Android based system have issues from time to time, each software release improves things a bit.    As far as the lean... many people have noticed a lean (either while underway or just floating) and I don't think I have seen anyone comeback with "too much fiberglass on one side" so that will be interesting to hear if that is indeed the case.    Yes... you paid a lot of money for what was advertised as the best boat on the market, but it is still handbuilt in a factory that builds 22 boats a day.  Malibu doesn't apply Rolls Royce type craftsmanship to these boats, so they have quirks, issues, and just inconsistencies... each one is different and none are perfect.  Not making excuses... just stating the current state of boats that roll out of the factory in Tennessee.

I hope Malibu is able to help resolve your issues quickly.

1 hour ago, gregtay said:

Doesn't sound like a lemon , sounds like pretty normal teething issues for a Malibu.  the computers in these boats are known to freeze just as yours did (with the inability to turn off the motor)... both the old pre-2020 software and the 2020+ Android based system have issues from time to time, each software release improves things a bit.    As far as the lean... many people have noticed a lean (either while underway or just floating) and I don't think I have seen anyone comeback with "too much fiberglass on one side" so that will be interesting to hear if that is indeed the case.    Yes... you paid a lot of money for what was advertised as the best boat on the market, but it is still handbuilt in a factory that builds 22 boats a day.  Malibu doesn't apply Rolls Royce type craftsmanship to these boats, so they have quirks, issues, and just inconsistencies... each one is different and none are perfect.  Not making excuses... just stating the current state of boats that roll out of the factory in Tennessee.

I hope Malibu is able to help resolve your issues quickly.

Eh, that's worse than normal teething issues and sometimes comes down to a dealer prep issue. I hear of more electronics issues than I'd like, including some of my friends boats, but it's still not the norm in my circle when dealers do a detailed prep. Granted the prep has been the dealers nightmare this year too as they've had to prep and deliver many more boats than any were staffed up to do. 

Knock on wood, but I'm only at one screen freeze so far and my prior boats aren't causing their new owners any issues. Talked to the 2019 owner yesterday and he's about to flip it for a gain and order a 2021 Malibu 23 or 25 LSV. I'm still planning to order a 2021 23 LSV this fall, as long as the impeller fix works. If not, you may see me in a Supra. 

Really not trying to sound like a Malibu homer here, but I get it if that's how this reads. It just hasn't been my experience to expect so many issues, and if that does become reality, then I'll be out too since my loyalty is to my dealer, not the brand.

• Like 2

They are putting a new rudder on it from 2020. The 2021 rudder does not have the adjustment. If they doesn’t fix it, they are sending it back to the Malibu factory to try and figure it out. 

7 hours ago, NWBU said:

Eh, that's worse than normal teething issues and sometimes comes down to a dealer prep issue. I hear of more electronics issues than I'd like, including some of my friends boats, but it's still not the norm in my circle when dealers do a detailed prep. Granted the prep has been the dealers nightmare this year too as they've had to prep and deliver many more boats than any were staffed up to do. 

Knock on wood, but I'm only at one screen freeze so far and my prior boats aren't causing their new owners any issues. Talked to the 2019 owner yesterday and he's about to flip it for a gain and order a 2021 Malibu 23 or 25 LSV. I'm still planning to order a 2021 23 LSV this fall, as long as the impeller fix works. If not, you may see me in a Supra. 

Really not trying to sound like a Malibu homer here, but I get it if that's how this reads. It just hasn't been my experience to expect so many issues, and if that does become reality, then I'll be out too since my loyalty is to my dealer, not the brand.

Trust me... I am almost at the breaking point with my boat, about to just go order a Supra and call it a day.

12 minutes ago, gregtay said:

Trust me... I am almost at the breaking point with my boat, about to just go order a Supra and call it a day.

🤮 good luck with your resale and less dealer coverage and not as nice wave. Not to be an a$$, but all these boats have issues.

• Like 3
59 minutes ago, surfdude said:

🤮 good luck with your resale and less dealer coverage and not as nice wave. Not to be an a$$, but all these boats have issues.

To be fair, also loads cheaper, arguably better fit and finish, and arguably better wave. Flow 3.0 quite nice. Watch some wake9 videos.