Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Air inlet plenum

New to the Monsoon engine. Trying to do minor troubleshooting to my Monsoon 340 which died on the lake before taking to mechanic. Want to check fuel pressure but schraeder valve is partially under the large air intake plenum so I can’t get pressure gauge fitting on valve without unbolting and lifting plenum slightly. Does loosening the 6 hex head cap screws and lifting the plenum disturb a gasket surface or seal or can I just retorque the cap screws?

I don't know why they designed it that way.  That part of the cover is decorative only, and certainly in the way. 

You could either adapt a low profile tire chuck to your gauge, or cut the plenum cover while you have it off.  You will want to check the pressure with the engine running anyway, so fix something that allows you to do that. 

My buddy cut his plenum cover.  I liked that answer. 

19 minutes ago, justgary said:

I don't know why they designed it that way.  That part of the cover is decorative only, and certainly in the way. 

You could either adapt a low profile tire chuck to your gauge, or cut the plenum cover while you have it off.  You will want to check the pressure with the engine running anyway, so fix something that allows you to do that. 

My buddy cut his plenum cover.  I liked that answer. 

Maybe we are talking about different covers.  On my 2012 it is actually the plenum, nothing decorative about it.

I am able to get my Cornwell fuel pressure tester on that fitting, although it is a little tight.  It has a 12 inch hose with the threaded fitting on one end and a quick connect to my gauge hose on the other end.  I think it is made by OTC and looks a lot like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-6550-Master-Fuel-Injection/dp/B00061SMNU/ref=asc_df_B00061SMNU/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312684231807&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3372217248892395800&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030803&hvtargid=pla-493945682775&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=60983009663&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=312684231807&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3372217248892395800&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9030803&hvtargid=pla-493945682775

You may be able to find a more basic kit that works in a similar way that will fit.

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Maybe we are talking about different covers.  On my 2012 it is actually the plenum, nothing decorative about it.

3 hours ago, justgary said:

That part of the cover is decorative only

The extra lip that sticks down right over the Schrader valve is decorative on a 2004.  Just an extra flange on the casting.