Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1999 Sportster LX Engine Trouble

8 minutes ago, mjbet91 said:

I hear ya. They are over $500 As that’s for an aftermarket conversion as there’s no direct replacements available anywhere. I’m going to get the filters replaced first and hope for the best. Figured even with a new pump that needs to happen to make sure I don’t burn out a new pump. 

if you have ideas for a cheaper replacement, I’d be grateful to hear them ! 

https://www.bakesonline.com/indmar-556014-fuel-pump-conversion-kit-to-pierburg.html  You can roll your own with similar/adapters.  The OEM pump of that era is still on some dealer shelves.

Or better yet - Ron will hook you up: https://skiboatpartsonline.com/fuel-system-1854837265/Indmar-High-Pressure-fuel-pump-kit

Edited by Eagleboy99
Answering my own question...
6 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

https://www.bakesonline.com/indmar-556014-fuel-pump-conversion-kit-to-pierburg.html  You can roll your own with similar/adapters.  The OEM pump of that era is still on some dealer shelves.

Or better yet - Ron will hook you up: https://skiboatpartsonline.com/fuel-system-1854837265/Indmar-High-Pressure-fuel-pump-kit

Thank you. Now I Need Ron ship to Canada. Site says not something they offer. I’m guessing that’s the cheapest I’ll find ? 

34 minutes ago, mjbet91 said:

Thank you. Now I Need Ron ship to Canada. Site says not something they offer. I’m guessing that’s the cheapest I’ll find ? 

Ron will ship to Canada - USPS.  he sent my gauge retrofit package that way.  Call him   -  he's great!!

Hold on now, ha. I have the same pump and got a kit for less than $200.00  Took one hour maybe. Works great. Lemme see if I can find where I got it 2 summers ago.

Steve B.

I would not use a non-marine fuel pump.  Also, for Canucks, ordering from the US is generally FedEx - 60-100 bucks shipping!

Edited by Eagleboy99
Spelling
5 minutes ago, mjbet91 said:

So there isn’t a cheaper route to go then this I’m guessing ? $800 CAD after taxes and shipping ahhhh

I already gave the link to Ron Tanis' site where the kit is $289 USD - so probably about $450 CAD all-in.  My last post was to update @Steve B.'s post with the current price.  You can get a pump for less than $800 CAD in Canada if you hunt, but I'd call Ron. 

Edited by Eagleboy99
Spelling
Just now, Eagleboy99 said:

I already gave the link to Ron Tanis' site where the kit is $289 USD - so probably about $450 CAD all-in.  My last post was to update @Steve B.'s post with the current price.  You can get a pump for less than $800 CAD in Canada if you hunt, but I'd call Ron. 

Thanks. Just cleaned all the filters including the tank one. 

They where clogged but pressure is still too low to run,  pump must have been damaged from the clogs or just age since it’s original on a 99 with 400 hrs. 

gonna try Ron Monday, closed on the weekend. 

can I Easily change the pump while it’s moored (including conversion to remove the line to remove from fuel pump back to the tank) ? 

really appreciate it! 

1 hour ago, mjbet91 said:

can I Easily change the pump while it’s moored (including conversion to remove the line to remove from fuel pump back to the tank) ? 

Someone else can comment on the fuel lines, but mine are still original.  I got assistance from a marine mechanic and we cleaned all the screens, replaced both fuel filters, changed out the pump and replaced some leaking hoses - all tied up to the dock.  Be sure to install NEW fuel filter(s).  One of mine was fairly clogged - my bad and that likely did not help the pump longevity.

On the fuel lines I'd say no. You have to remove the trunk carpeted wall pieces to route the fuel line. The pump itself is super easy to change. I had to apply a lot of torque to the fuel outlet to get it to seal perfectly. Dry as a bone now. NO minimal amount of seeping is tolerable. The fuel line is the more difficult of the two. And it is held in place by several ksmall line holders screwed into the stringers. 

Steve B.

20 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Just ordering from Ron. Anyone know the answer as to if we have 1/2" fuel line hose clamped to the existing pump inlet?

ron says most are 3/8 but a few are 1/2 & I need to add an extra hose adapter if your is 1/2 

thanks guys! going to pay it forward now and create a new updated HDS repair Guide and after I went to town on that this summer and got it nice and tight !!! 

My 1999 SSLX is 3/8".  I didn't see any reason to not change them since I was changing the exhaust hoses anyway.  I went whole-hog and pulled the tank.  While I was in there, I switched to turn-down stainless tips.

I really didn't see any reason to trust old exhaust hoses or fuel lines.  I even changed the vent and filler hoses.

taVKeTh.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Not sure on the fitting size as I used the OEM two-line version.  Pretty sure it is 3/8" though. On the shaft log, have you seen http://www.everglass.org/shaftlog.htm  ?

Yes. I almost copied that repair. I didn’t tho. There are some downsides to doing a shaft log. 

for starters, it will bury the nuts needed to hold the shaft; if it ever needs to come out the log will as well. Plus you have access to the nuts that hold the (rudder plate?) 

instead I rebuilt the box... but properly and permanently. 

nevermind, Surveryors are insane right now for finding defects and i think the shaft log might hurt your resale. 

So I installed the fuel pump, changed the filters, and I’m now getting good fuel pressure when before I was not. Boat starts but won’t run. 

what other issue could have stemmed from this ? 

hoping I didn’t cook my ECM...

Edited by mjbet91
On 7/18/2020 at 5:06 PM, Eagleboy99 said:

Someone else can comment on the fuel lines, but mine are still original.  I got assistance from a marine mechanic and we cleaned all the screens, replaced both fuel filters, changed out the pump and replaced some leaking hoses - all tied up to the dock.  Be sure to install NEW fuel filter(s).  One of mine was fairly clogged - my bad and that likely did not help the pump longevity.

Changed the pump. Fuel pressure is good and I’m getting pressure and spark, but engine will not run. 

had a mechanic over to take a look as this is now beyond me. Thinks the ECM is dead, going to try and reflash it, as well as replace the ignition module and pick up coil to try and rule out the cheaper stuff first. 

any thoughts on this ? Getting 0 RPMs on engine scan, something is signalling the engine not to run. 

3 minutes ago, mjbet91 said:

Getting 0 RPMs on engine scan, something is signalling the engine not to run.

Zero RPM is a signal to the ECM to not run.  It needs at least 200 RPM to crank.  I'm pretty sure that the ignition module provides the reference pulses to the ECM to calculate RPM.

Since you have a scan tool, make sure that the MAP sensor reads atmospheric pressure with key on/engine off and much lower while cranking.

3 hours ago, justgary said:

Zero RPM is a signal to the ECM to not run.  It needs at least 200 RPM to crank.  I'm pretty sure that the ignition module provides the reference pulses to the ECM to calculate RPM.

Since you have a scan tool, make sure that the MAP sensor reads atmospheric pressure with key on/engine off and much lower while cranking.

I changed the ignition module. Last stop before a new ECM is the culprit is to change the pick up coil?

i had to pay for a marine tech to come run that software and would like to avoid having to do so again. They seemed to think it’s one of ignition module (changed), pickup coil, or ECM. 

Edited by mjbet91
3 hours ago, justgary said:

Here’s a vid of trying to start with the software affixed. 

https://youtu.be/WDICzwcRRmc

7 hours ago, justgary said:

You cranked it for two seconds?  No wonder it doesn't start. 

I can hold it cranking for 5 min and get the same result...