Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1999 Sportster LX Engine Trouble

After about 30 min of normal use pulling skiers today, I lost engine power pulling up a skier from a deep water start, unable to properly accelerate. 

I also noticed a whining / squealing noise coming from the engine compartment. 

I killed the engine, restarted, and immediately had sputtering and power loss upon acceleration. I was able to limp / idle back to my dock, but did lose full engine power 2 times and need to restart the ignition just to limp my way back. 

I put fresh fuel in the boat, ran the blower, and tried to run it again. I don’t have working gauges so am unable to see oil pressure or engine temps. 

the engine continued to sputter, refusing to accelerate, and when trying to, hiccuping while engaging the throttle, often shutting off. In neutral, I was able to rev the engine without any issues. 

what are some first steps I can take as somebody with a low DIY skill level? I’d love if this was just the plugs, but the whining noise from the engine sounds like it’s likely part of the problem. 

I believe the engine is The Indmar monsoon 325, Fuel injected. 

update: when I turn the key to ignition without starting the engine, I hear a similar but shorter squeel from when it’s running. This squeel comes from the rear port side of the engine which makes me think fuel pump ? 

the engine also loses power quicker now and shuts off after about 15 seconds. I can also no longer rev the engine in neutral / not under load without the engine conking out shortly after. 

Edited by mjbet91
Added update
15 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Fuel and filters first.

Which filters ? and what do you mean by fuel?  

sorry, learning curve for myself here. 

Whining/squealing comes from the belts.  So you need to check to find which pulley is not turning properly and causing the resistance.  Remove the belts and check each one.

Impeller pulley

Water pump pulley

Crank pulley

Alternator pulley

The crank pulley is on the bottom, if the engine turns, it turns.  It doesn't really fail.  The alternator pulley is off to the side, an electrical component.  It might have failed and you are running off the battery, but not likley to cause those symptoms, it would just eventually shut down.  So it is likely the impeller or water pump that is the problem.

Do you know how to inspect/replace your impeller?

Did the guages fail with this event or have they been inoperable before this?

2 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

Alternator... not likley to cause those symptoms, it would just eventually shut down.

If the bearings fail, it can easily cause those symptoms.

1 minute ago, justgary said:

If the bearings fail, it can easily cause those symptoms.

Really?  I didn't know that, I've had two alternators fail back in my college days, from what I remember everything was just dim until it sputtered out to nothing.

26 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

Really?  I didn't know that, I've had two alternators fail back in my college days, from what I remember everything was just dim until it sputtered out to nothing.

I had the bearings fail in one, and the rotor locked against the stator.  It squealed loudly for a few seconds, then managed to stall the engine as it really locked up.  Made it hard to limp it home.

• Like 2

@mjbet91 - From your post, did you open the engine hatch to evaluate or look for any issues?  Your description sounds like a lack of fuel delivery which could be from several sources, the squealing does sound like a belt which could also contribute and be from a couple of sources.  Alternator as noted, low voltage not allowing the injectors to fire properly, raw water pump not allowing water to circulate and thus potentially causing overheating or a limp mode scenario.  From your description perhaps some assistance from a friend that can put eyes on the engine would greatly help the troubleshooting process.  I strongly suggest getting the gauges working, a major engine failure can be expensive.

On 7/15/2020 at 12:02 PM, Michigan boarder said:

Whining/squealing comes from the belts.  So you need to check to find which pulley is not turning properly and causing the resistance.  Remove the belts and check each one.

Impeller pulley

Water pump pulley

Crank pulley

Alternator pulley

The crank pulley is on the bottom, if the engine turns, it turns.  It doesn't really fail.  The alternator pulley is off to the side, an electrical component.  It might have failed and you are running off the battery, but not likley to cause those symptoms, it would just eventually shut down.  So it is likely the impeller or water pump that is the problem.

The gauges had failed already. 

yes I know how to check the impeller and that’s next on the to do list. So far I’ve changed the plugs and wires, topped up the gas, added fuel stabalizer. 

the squeel however comes right from the area of the fuel pump and the engine seems to turn for a little while in idle before it conks out. Will post a YouTube link 

4 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

My guess is the fuel pump, but sounds different than mine. So, engine dies after 15 seconds or so?

Steve B.

Yup just  about. When it first happened on the lake I was able to idle / limp closer to 3-4 min at a time and still accelerate (with a delayed response that would quickly die down). Now it died much quicker, but I’m nervous to run it and do further damage without knowing the cause. 

I get a 3 second loud wine when I turn the key towards the ignition prime without cranking the engine on. So that’s really making me think fuel pump or major fuel filter clog? 

my guess is that I ran low on gas (bad gas gauge, long ski session). This probably put more strain on my already old pump and damaged or fried it. 

looking for advice on where to order a new pump from. I’ve seen several forums about interchangeable parts and I can’t find a reasonably priced option online.  Perhaps that needs to be a separate thread. 

I have somebody who can come down for a service call for $75 and run a diagnostic on their computer from the engine. Would that give me clarity on the issue seeing as I’m not even getting a check engine light ? 

On 7/15/2020 at 5:09 PM, Woodski said:

@mjbet91 - From your post, did you open the engine hatch to evaluate or look for any issues?  Your description sounds like a lack of fuel delivery which could be from several sources, the squealing does sound like a belt which could also contribute and be from a couple of sources.  Alternator as noted, low voltage not allowing the injectors to fire properly, raw water pump not allowing water to circulate and thus potentially causing overheating or a limp mode scenario.  From your description perhaps some assistance from a friend that can put eyes on the engine would greatly help the troubleshooting process.  I strongly suggest getting the gauges working, a major engine failure can be expensive.

On 7/15/2020 at 12:02 PM, Michigan boarder said:

Impeller pulley

Water pump pulley

Crank pulley

Alternator pulley

Does this sound like a belt wine or fuel pump ? It sounded like rear corner where the pump is but I could be mistaken. 

30 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

If there is whining on just key up, it's not a belt or pulley. You could unplug the pump and do a key up and see if you hear something.

Steve B.

I did. With the pump unplugged, no whining noise on key up. 

so I think that narrows it down to something around fuel, if not the pump itself. Should I clean the engine filter (the one by the fuel tank is out of my relay of expertise, and likely isn’t it as the noise is from the engine area? And if no luck, replace the pump? 

anything else that would effect the pump I should check out ?

In my 99 RLX there are two filters - one at the tank, the other by the pump.  Change both.  If the old ones are good (you can blow through them) them on to fuel lines, but likey a new pump.  Which is NLA.

7 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

In my 99 RLX there are two filters - one at the tank, the other by the pump.  Change both.  If the old ones are good (you can blow through them) them on to fuel lines, but likey a new pump.  Which is NLA.

I’ve been able to sort the one by the pump and will give it a spray down with carb cleaner.

How hard is it to access the one by the tank. Do I need to remove the rear bench? 

NLA meaning no longer available ? In which case, what do you suggest ? 

Edited by mjbet91

That is absolutely your fuel pump starving for fuel.  Change out your fuel filter(s) and check the fuel pump inlet screen.  The pump will fail if run at long periods like that -

1 hour ago, Gary Pelletier said:

That is absolutely your fuel pump starving for fuel.  Change out your fuel filter(s) and check the fuel pump inlet screen.  The pump will fail if run at long periods like that -

Thanks. 

if it’s squealing this loud with just a key up, is it likely that it’s already toast ? 

getting to the filter by the tank is beyond my level of handy. if I’m going to call a mech to take a look, I was debating to per order the part to do it all at once. But don’t want to buy a pump if there’s a good chance I don’t need one. 

I know what you mean about saving cash if not needed. But, the boat is old enough and it is highly common to replace these pumps, and rather than go thru all this again I'd say just replace it all. Pump, filters and probably the fuel line itself. 

Steve B.

Good luck on findings fuel pump. We have a 2007 LXI that started sputtering and whining. Looked all over, apparently Malibu does not support boat owners as they no longer build this item and they would not give Us a fuel pump part number so that we could cross reference with other companies.  So here we sit on a lake with our boat and NO support from Malibu. Shame on you😡

41 minutes ago, Cranes said:

Good luck on findings fuel pump. We have a 2007 LXI that started sputtering and whining. Looked all over, apparently Malibu does not support boat owners as they no longer build this item and they would not give Us a fuel pump part number so that we could cross reference with other companies.  So here we sit on a lake with our boat and NO support from Malibu. Shame on you😡

I’m seeing a few interchangeable pump options, that should do the trick but aren’t the OEM replacements. Going to need a conversion kit some kind. Going to cost me over $500 for the parts alone. 

not a cheap proactive replacement...going to get somebody to help with the filters first seeing as I should check them before a new pump goes in anyways, and cross my fingers. But not counting on it 

1 hour ago, Steve B. said:

I know what you mean about saving cash if not needed. But, the boat is old enough and it is highly common to replace these pumps, and rather than go thru all this again I'd say just replace it all. Pump, filters and probably the fuel line itself. 

Steve B.

I hear ya. They are over $500 As that’s for an aftermarket conversion as there’s no direct replacements available anywhere. I’m going to get the filters replaced first and hope for the best. Figured even with a new pump that needs to happen to make sure I don’t burn out a new pump. 

if you have ideas for a cheaper replacement, I’d be grateful to hear them !