Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M220

agarabaghi

I have a 2018 m235 and the 220 looks very similar in spec/design.  The m240 major changes from the 235 is more ballast(and faster) new dash, stern thrusters and surf gates that are flush with the hull.  The 220 looks like more of a tweaked 235 with the new dash? 

4 minutes ago, Sixer said:

I thought in the "M" series that everything was optioned out to the max.  That 220 doesn't have the Gx tower on it. :dontknow:

It started out maxed on the 235.

They dialed it back after a while so customers and dealers could deoption the boat to get the price down.

6 minutes ago, Sixer said:

I thought in the "M" series that everything was optioned out to the max.  That 220 doesn't have the Gx tower on it. :dontknow:

Gx isn't even standard on the M240. It's a Malibu... I guess they didn't want to stray too far from their "you need $50k in options just to make it a decent boat" strategy.  I also think it is very weird that on a boat they advertise as "king of the hill, best of the best" they don't just make sure it lives up to that by making everything standard.  You can get a pretty stripped down M220 or M240 and it would still have a high MSRP.  Base price on these things shouldn't matter.. make it $280k with all the options included.  No one walks in and says "I want an M240, but I need to limit the options so I can keep the price down."

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
23 minutes ago, gregtay said:

Gx isn't even standard on the M240. It's a Malibu... I guess they didn't want to stray too far from their "you need $50k in options just to make it a decent boat" strategy.  I also think it is very weird that on a boat they advertise as "king of the hill, best of the best" they don't just make sure it lives up to that by making everything standard.  You can get a pretty stripped down M220 or M240 and it would still have a high MSRP.  Base price on these things shouldn't matter.. make it $280k with all the options included.  No one walks in and says "I want an M240, but I need to limit the options so I can keep the price down."

They did that on the M235 and everyone complained that everything was standard and they couldn't pick and choose.

1 hour ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

They did that on the M235 and everyone complained that everything was standard and they couldn't pick and choose.

Crazy.  What would someone not want "everything" on these boats?  

ahopkins22LSV
11 minutes ago, gregtay said:

Crazy.  What would someone not want "everything" on these boats?  

Even the richest people I know are always searching for a deal. The guys I know that have owned half mil 50’ sea rays are some of the tightest people I know. They don’t want to pay for something they don’t want/need anymore than the guy counting quarters from his couch to buy a boat. 

1 hour ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Even the richest people I know are always searching for a deal.

Like Dad used to say "Associate with witty people and you will become witty; associate with smart people ad you will be come smart; associate with rich prople and you will get stuck with the bar tab!"  :)

I have some extremely wealthy friends, including a billionaire, and they are the cheapest people I know  almost to a one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, Slayer said:

I took a good look at one at our dealer and it's pretty awesome.  It's enormous for a 22' boat.  I was pretty surprised.  While it's not my style, I'd sure love to get out on the water with one. 

Thanks for the feedback. Just out of curiosity, do you say it’s not your style because of the deeper hull/taller freeboard or because you think interior is small? 

11 hours ago, cptotr said:

Thanks for the feedback. Just out of curiosity, do you say it’s not your style because of the deeper hull/taller freeboard or because you think interior is small? 

It's not our style simply due to the physical appearance, primarily.  I like the boat but prefer the more traditional lines of the LSV series boats.  The interior didn't feel small to me.  It just felt different.  It felt larger than my 22 VLX, but that may be simply due to the freeboard and bow space.  

On 8/17/2020 at 12:01 PM, gregtay said:

I think even if I was a multimillionaire, I would not want the power tower or the flip down swim step. I have owned Malibus for ten years and I have never once attempted to lower the tower. Also, I would constantly have to put the swim step away and I would rarely use it. Those two things would be about a 10k upgrade I'd never use, so I'd rather hold onto the money.

I was very anti Swim step when I 1st saw it. Then I spent the day on a boat with one, and added it to my build sheet. I was way better than I imagined it would be. 

Edited by geogilbert
  • Like 3
13 hours ago, bbattiste247 said:

I think even if I was a multimillionaire, I would not want the power tower or the flip down swim step. I have owned Malibus for ten years and I have never once attempted to lower the tower. Also, I would constantly have to put the swim step away and I would rarely use it. Those two things would be about a 10k upgrade I'd never use, so I'd rather hold onto the money.

Swim step is one of my favorite item on Malibu boats so don't understand your opinion if you not tried , electric tower- you right  I don't have idea why they do that , I like G23 paragon electric tower and it make sense to have.

About pricing M220 will be around $210k/$220 out of the door and M240 - $230/$240 as the numbers shown:) its still about $50k more then 25/23 foot boat

• Like 1

Plenty of folks lower towers for storage or bridges on lakes.  I actually lowered mine the other day to miss tree branches at a new ramp while on vacation.  It is also nice to tow in the lowered position as well.   I get why folks wouldn’t check the box, but certainly understand why it is an option.  

6 minutes ago, cptotr said:

I could be the poorest person on this forum, which I very well may be, and I‘d still check the box for the swim step. I don’t think I could go back to not having it.

Agreed.  Unlikely we would buy a boat without one.  Everyone loves it.  Not sure why someone wouldn't check that box.  They are gaining in popularity on all makes for a reason.  Makes sense for re-sale alone.

26 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

I noticed on the new 23LSV that the hinge for the swimstep seems to dig into the wake and make the wave do weird things.

I have had several 23LSV's with that option. I haven't noticed that unless we are over weighted in the rear or running bow high needing some bow weight. If the top of your gates are underwater, try less weight in the rear.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, bbattiste247 said:

The flip down step is the best feature on my boat.  I almost didn't check it but I am SO glad I did.

On the tower, it isn't for everyone.  I store my boat in my garage with an 8' door.  The Gx makes that painless.. and it is also a good 6" lower than a G3.5.  The new G5 can likely now fit under 8' but that wasn't an option last year.  So I ask myself: On my next box would i still check the Gx box if the G5 works and I think the answer is yes. First off... after struggling with lowering different towers over the years I am not really spoiled with the Gx. No dealing with needing bigger shocks when I add something or finicky bolts/pins/handles (yes.. the G3.5 vastly improved on those issues.)  And second... I really like the look of the Gx over the G5.  The G5 just looks a little too anemic especially on bigger boats. 

57 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I have had several 23LSV's with that option. I haven't noticed that unless we are over weighted in the rear or running bow high needing some bow weight. If the top of your gates are underwater, try less weight in the rear.

Don't always have the luxury of perfectly dialing in bow weight and such when you have a boat full of people. Really don't think the boat was over-weighted, but could have used some bow weight. Removing ballast would have made the wave small IMO.

1 hour ago, boardjnky4 said:

I noticed on the new 23LSV that the hinge for the swimstep seems to dig into the wake and make the wave do weird things.

Lots of threads on this, the swim step doesn't effect the surf wave.  If you were running a boat full of people and had the rear ballast where you normally would then you were likely too heavy in the rear.  Yes... we can't always add more weight up front but a touch of a button and you can have less in the rear.  The new 23 doesn't need the back end sacked out for a nice wave.