Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2002 Malibu LS1 issues

Hello,

We have been trying to diagnose a hard starting LS1. It also has hesitation out of the hole and a lope at idle. Especially when warm. Starts well when cold. Found water on spark plug in cylinder #3. This is a closed system and when I checked the water on the plug, it was lake water. Not Antifreeze. Tested injectors. Swapped coils around. Thought maybe coil wasn't firing at full potential. Put new plugs in. Is it possible for water ti get into cylinder from the exhaust manifold? Seems to me that is the only place you could get lake water in at. Any thoughts and opinions would be appreciated. Thanks

i don't know the answer but I have an LS1 engine if you need me to reference anything.   The only thought that came to my mind is check your exhaust tips to see if the flappers are still inside both of them (mine are about 2" in)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, might be good to know. We pulled the exhaust manifold off of the left side of motor. Easy job. brought back to my shop and stood on end in the vice. Plugged the outlet side of the manifold (fresh water) and started filling the inlet side. Originally used acetone (high viscosity) and it started running out the exhaust ports before we were half full. Which would line up with #3 cylinder which is where we had the most water in the cylinder and spark plug of course. The we tried it with just water and it ran out too. So the short of it is we have a cracked exhaust manifold. Anyone recommend a place for a replacement? Thanks again for your time.

Ryan

8 hours ago, R44Ryan said:

Well, might be good to know. We pulled the exhaust manifold off of the left side of motor. Easy job. brought back to my shop and stood on end in the vice. Plugged the outlet side of the manifold (fresh water) and started filling the inlet side. Originally used acetone (high viscosity) and it started running out the exhaust ports before we were half full. Which would line up with #3 cylinder which is where we had the most water in the cylinder and spark plug of course. The we tried it with just water and it ran out too. So the short of it is we have a cracked exhaust manifold. Anyone recommend a place for a replacement? Thanks again for your time.

Ryan

I would try Bakes.  You may need to call or email though.

On 7/12/2020 at 12:03 AM, R44Ryan said:

Ryan

https://inboardonline.com/parts/exhaust-manifolds/

14 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

I didn't see any manifolds for the LS1 on there.  

I didn’t look I just knew they are usually a decent option for parts at decent price.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been trying to figure out a hesitation with my LS1 too in my RLXi. Dealer looked at it, but nothing earlier.  I did have my starboard exhaust manifold spring a leak recently, that I plugged with JB weld for now.  So wondering if it is actually related to my exhaust manifold, if it has been bad since I got it.

Isn't this the correct one? https://inboardonline.com/etx-manifold-and-riser-port-side-right-531301/

The LS1 is a Vortec 5.7L, yes? It sure looks the same, minus the "Malibu" engraved in the side of mine. I was trying to decide if I should order the starboard part and do it myself. I am somewhat mechanical, but wondering how easy it might be just to replace. Anyone with advise on switching yourself??

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry guys, been away for a while. I contacted Indmar by email directly. The guy got right back to me with a part number and all. Even where to get the best deal. I emailed a local Malibu dealer and Malibu directly. To this day have not heard a thing. Indmar was awesome. I will look up the guy I talked to.

Ryan

19 hours ago, R44Ryan said:

Sorry guys, been away for a while. I contacted Indmar by email directly. The guy got right back to me with a part number and all. Even where to get the best deal. I emailed a local Malibu dealer and Malibu directly. To this day have not heard a thing. Indmar was awesome. I will look up the guy I talked to.

Ryan

Can you share the P/N?

• 4 months later...

Indmar, LQ9 Exhaust Manifold/Port, Gen.3/531296

From Inboard Online

This was the part# that I was given from Larry at Indmar. If you email him, give him your engine serial # and he will know all he needs. Larry Engelbert <[email protected]

Sorry again, I need to check here more often for replies.

Ryan