Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2003 wake setter start up issues

I’ve got a 2004 Wakesetter VLX that has been in climate controlled storage for the last 2.5 years....There was 1/4 tank of gas, so I siphoned as much as I could, then added 3 gallons of high octane gas along with a bottle of fuel stabilizer. The engine started right up and sounded great, but choked out within a few minutes and now it won’t crank up.

I’m assuming that I need to drain the fuel tank completely and replace the fuel filter, but not sure what the Napa Part# is for Fuel Filter? Any advice out there?

you may not need to drain the tank again,  the old fuel or gummed up condition might be in the fuel lines or in the filter or injectors.  

also, check fuel pressure, and whether or not you have a fuel shutoff valve on the top of the tank

Thanks guys....replaced the fuel filter and it ran like a champ for 1-2 minutes, but sputters our as soon as I attempt to throttle back out of the boat slip.....

i just checked and had to replace another One of those 15amp fuses that I think are related to the fuel pump....this is the 3rd time it’s blown one of them.

I traced the fuel lines all over the boat and am not seeing a fuel shut-off valve anywhere.

any ideas now? 

How do I check fuel pressure?

Do you still only have 3 gallons of fuel in the tank or have you tried adding more? If the pickup isn't fully submerged it could actually be running out if it can't pickup enough to stay running.

doubt you will find a fuel shut-off valve on the rig.

does the fuel pump cycle on for 5 seconds at key on (prior to crank)?

had you added fuel stabilizer prior to storage?

a rig of that vintage is due for new fuel lines.  they deteriorate w age.

i suspect that some of your issue is the old (not stabilized) fuel and old gummy fuel lines.  maybe.  that fuel pump fuse issue needs to get sorted out, too.

there is a very hard to find/access screen in the fuel pump that may have done it's job and accumulated some junk that needs to be cleaned out. 

it's at the inlet fuel line connector.  you will need a mirror and flashlight to see it while the fuel pump is installed.