Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Touch Command screen delamination

I was wondering this too.  My deamination is almost the whole screen at this point and have no idea how it still works.  Dreading the replacement cost of a new one.  

I sent @cuescreens my old screen. As of end September his team was working on reverse engineering a replacement because the original is not conducive to repair.

I hate to say it, but I think @4skinutshardware switch option is probably the only near term answer. ☹️

Edited by braindamage
3 hours ago, braindamage said:

I sent @cuescreens my old screen. As of end September his team was working on reverse engineering a replacement because the original is not conducive to repair.

I hate to say it, but I think @4skinutshardware switch option is probably the only near term answer. ☹️

That would be unfortunate. I was doing a count and think I need at least 13 switches to maintain functionality - and that was off the top of my head so there could be more. That is a lot of real estate.

• Sad 1
  • 1 month later...

And I thought it was bad when I had to buy one for $1600 back in 2016! Hate that Malibu will not help with at least offering them for a little more than at cost price but continue to gouge the customer because there is really no choice for repair.

• Like 3

Was there an improvement in the design/manufacture to eliminate or reduce the delaminating?   I’d be pissed if I paid that outlandish price to have it do the same thing in a year or two.   

On 8/7/2021 at 3:58 PM, justgary said:

Technically, yes, you could make a bluetooth controller.  I don't see why you would do that instead of a permanent installation in the boat since you aren't likely to want to use it out of the boat.

In other words, do your own, but don't make it bluetooth.

Sorry I didn’t expanded on this but if someone could make an app to run the program on a phone or tablet and not need a permanent touch screen I assume it would be cheaper and easier to build?  I won’t pretend to know the technology but could you write an app to replace the touch screen and use Bluetooth it to control the switch’s? I think there are too many options on the new boats for a rocker panel.  

39 minutes ago, Hambrick11 said:

Sorry I didn’t expanded on this but if someone could make an app to run the program on a phone or tablet and not need a permanent touch screen I assume it would be cheaper and easier to build?  I won’t pretend to know the technology but could you write an app to replace the touch screen and use Bluetooth it to control the switch’s? I think there are too many options on the new boats for a rocker panel.  

It's the touch part of the screen that you don't really need.  With a software rewrite, you could navigate menus with a few buttons on the side or maybe a joystick with a button.  Either way somebody has to step up and write a new display that will drive the hardware.

• 3 weeks later...

Really promising! Can’t wait to hear how the 5 prototypes go.

Marc 

* could not enter e-mail address at bottom of web page so emailed the cuescreens address to stay up to date. 

Edited by mtagher
14 hours ago, cuescreens said:

Alright guys, I have an update..finally. Sorry it took so long. The factory was shut down due to covid and they finally have a proposal for us.

Basically, as we know, the touch digitizer  glass is bonded to the LCD panel with a super sticky glue. This is impossible to remove and replace like on the other vehicles. Photos attached.

The glue design is what causes the delamination over time. It loses its bond on the outside edges of the screen, then slowly the entire things pulls away.

Removing the factory glue and LCD panel is a total mess- you need to freeze the glue to remove it, and then use heat to soften the tape on the perimeter to remove that. The glue leaks out the sides and drips all over the inside of the plastic shell. This makes reuse of the LCD or digitizer (touch glass) impossible.

So- I had the factory invest in a manufacturing plate for a new digitizer and they sourced the LCD panel as those are commonly available. They will bond them together with OCA film under pressure and temperature to ensure a solid bond. This is in contrast to the liquid adhesive of the factory design. OCA film is used on every cell phone today. This way, the glue is not used and will not fail again.

Factory adhesive- a sub par solution from Medallion. 

spacer.png

OCA film- this is the proper technology to bond LCD to glass. 

spacer.png

Testing happening to check the protocols

spacer.png

This is the newly manufactured Digitizer panel that will be bonded to a new LCD panel using OCA film. 

spacer.png

Here is how the LCD/ Digitizer assembly mounts to your plastic shell. Double sided tape. 

vVLanEl.jpg

Have you successfully completed this process or is it just theoretical at this point? Either way, pretty intrigued. 

Great news and I can't wait to hear more.  If you need another screen to work on let me know as I bought a new one last year and have my old one.  It still works ok but is delaminating.  Have a good one and keep us updated.  Prices have gone up on these screens and if this is a long term fix many will be happy to pay $1200 ish. The new screen I bought was about $1900 and they are more money now.

34 minutes ago, cuescreens said:

The factory is manufacturing the digitizer now and ordering the LCD panels. Once they arrive and bond them together, they will send them out to me. I am risk averse so I would say theoretical until I have proven feedback from testing. 

I'd like to find a few folks that have a defective unit now and want to send it to me for trial. I will install the new LCD/digitizer assembly, and send back. You can then install it back in your boat and let me know the feedback. Unfortunately I don't have a boat or electronics wiring simulator available to test on.

Ideally, this will be ready to go for this boating season as long as there is no unforeseen quality issues.

I'm an engineer by trade and this is what drives me. Finding areas of erroneous design in the past, and providing a solution to people that have no good alternative.

I've got one I could send you.  Testing would be in the garage for now since it is winter here, but could try out all the functions

Flatstick2085

Very interested in the outcome of your processs as I need a new screen to replace my Medallion smart display which was manufactured 7/21/10 fitted to my 2010 Response LXI which is slowly delaminating. It doesn’t seem to be as much of a problem here in Australia as a lot of the locally built boats had a key start override which my US built boat does not have. As a result once my screen ceases to function I will not be able to start my boat.

9 hours ago, Flatstick2085 said:

Very interested in the outcome of your processs as I need a new screen to replace my Medallion smart display which was manufactured 7/21/10 fitted to my 2010 Response LXI which is slowly delaminating. It doesn’t seem to be as much of a problem here in Australia as a lot of the locally built boats had a key start override which my US built boat does not have. As a result once my screen ceases to function I will not be able to start my boat.

You can install an override. At least I know you can get one from a dealer in the US.