Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Touch Command screen delamination

38 minutes ago, 201324MXZ said:

had no idea

You can also select text and then click "quote selection" when it pops up to take only a part of the post.  Most everything you do can be undone with CTRL-Z before you submit your reply.

1 minute ago, justgary said:

You can also select text and then click "quote selection" when it pops up to take only a part of the post.  Most everything you do can be undone with CTRL-Z before you submit your reply.

very cool!  Thanks!

2 hours ago, hunter77ah said:

IIRC, you can also use the bypass under the dash for pump drain.  

Oh shoot I forgot, you can access the fuse panel under the dash and just move the fuse from its service postition to the slot next to it which is its bypass position and it’ll run the pump. 

• Like 2
19 hours ago, 201324MXZ said:

My dealer is out of stock of the MTC, 3962052..  We have a lot of moisture under the outer glass and sometimes some of the touch buttons don't work.  I desperately want to add a mechanical ignition switch.  Dealer said they have 4 wires.  Can someone please help me and let me know where to connect these wires so I don't get stranded?  My 2013 24MXZ did not come with a key ignition, only the touch screen 'start engine'.  HELP?

I have a working MTC from my 2012 that has some delamination on the edges.  I see you are local, if you wanted to try it out and see if it worked to start the boat you could give it a try.  Only issue I can think of is that it is an older software version so it wouldn't have any surfgate controls. - Not trying to sell it to you, but you can use it until you can get ahold of a new one if it works for you.

Anyone know if it is possible to update the firmware yourself?

Edited by oldjeep
6 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

I have a working MTC from my 2012 that has some delamination on the edges.  I see you are local, if you wanted to try it out and see if it worked to start the boat you could give it a try.  Only issue I can think of is that it is an older software version so it wouldn't have any surfgate controls. - Not trying to sell it to you, but you can use it until you can get ahold of a new one if it works for you.

Anyone know if it is possible to update the firmware yourself?

very generous, oldjeep.  Didn't mean to mislead anyone, mine does still work even with all of the water inside the clear face covering (about 1/2" of water from the bottom).  I'm just panicking for the inevitable day when all goes to heck.  I'll keep this info for reference.  I also had no idea there may be a mechanical ignition under the throttle lever; I'll be checking for this on Sunday. (I talked to the parts guy in New Germany, MN Inboard, and he didn't even suggest there may be a mechanical ignition!)  Looks like you've been around this forum for a while!!  Any suggestions on how to dry out the water in the MTC?

Also, if nobody has mentioned it - get on @COOP  list for an MTC.  He seems to be able to get ahold of them occasionally and that is where I bought mine (Out of state Malibu dealer)

And you can't "dry it out"  The layers are delaminating and eventually it will be junk.

13 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Also, if nobody has mentioned it - get on @COOP  list for an MTC.  He seems to be able to get ahold of them occasionally and that is where I bought mine (Out of state Malibu dealer)

And you can't "dry it out"  The layers are delaminating and eventually it will be junk.

thanks, again.  Is @COOP his handle on this site?

Greetings all- does anyone have a delaminated old display module available?

I own the company cuescreens and we have solved this issue for the Cadillac vehicles, their infotainment systems suffer a similar fate as to your malibu boats. You can see the background at cuescreens.com. In a nutshell, we design a replacement touch screen assembly that does not use LOCA "Liquid optically clear adhesive" which is prone to drying out and causing issues. 

My aim is to source a defective unit here for research with the suppliers to provide a permanent solution to you Malibu owners.

I can send you a pre paid shipping label to send it to me. 

Thanks!

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, cuescreens said:

Greetings all- does anyone have a delaminated old display module available?

I own the company cuescreens and we have solved this issue for the Cadillac vehicles, their infotainment systems suffer a similar fate as to your malibu boats. You can see the background at cuescreens.com. In a nutshell, we design a replacement touch screen assembly that does not use LOCA "Liquid optically clear adhesive" which is prone to drying out and causing issues. 

My aim is to source a defective unit here for research with the suppliers to provide a permanent solution to you Malibu owners.

I can send you a pre paid shipping label to send it to me. 

Thanks!

Just messaged you.

Ryan

The bubbling looks slightly different on these medallion screens.  Regardless, I'm very interested if you are able to get this done.  I'd send you mine during the offseason for repair.  

Interested as well, I would be willing to ship my working screen during the off season.  It has significant delamination and is starting to act up a little.

1 minute ago, JMaddogT said:

I'm really hoping were on to something here!!!:thumbup:

If this works it would be the biggest advancement of this issue since it was first identified ten years ago… my fingers are crossed 

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, wakeparadise said:

If this works it would be the biggest advancement of this issue since it was first identified ten years ago… my fingers are crossed 

Hoping they can move fast on this one as they already know what they are doing. I know by the end of this season or beginning of next season I will need to replace mine. I'm walking the tightrope. 

2 minutes ago, JMaddogT said:

Hoping they can move fast on this one as they already know what they are doing. I know by the end of this season or beginning of next season I will need to replace mine. I'm walking the tightrope. 

Well put it this way, any effort at all to fix this will be a step in the right direction. The management at Malibu and the engineers at Medallion who are responsible for this fiasco should be ashamed of their non-efforts and flat out refusal to fix this glaring problem.  I will NEVER buy another boat that has either product name on it or in it.  

It really is puzzling that for the years this has gone on, that Malibu didn't step up in any form to address the issue or help owners rectify it.  Gouging people for touch screens that do basic functions is appalling considering the significant reduction in costs associated with producing such screens.  Not to mention, the replacement screens have the same failure rate.  

2 minutes ago, saxton15 said:

It really is puzzling that for the years this has gone on, that Malibu didn't step up in any form to address the issue or help owners rectify it.  Gouging people for touch screens that do basic functions is appalling considering the significant reduction in costs associated with producing such screens.  Not to mention, the replacement screens have the same failure rate.  

It’s ABSURD! It’s the one thing that really leaves a bad taste in my mouth with this boat. I’ve hand-written the president to tell him how I fell. No response. Nobody cares. The only thing I can do is not give my money to these people ever again. 

1 hour ago, wakeparadise said:

It’s ABSURD! It’s the one thing that really leaves a bad taste in my mouth with this boat. I’ve hand-written the president to tell him how I fell. No response. Nobody cares. The only thing I can do is not give my money to these people ever again. 

To be honest, the same thing happened with Cadillac. The factory touch screens delam after 1-3 years in service, starting in 2013. They knew it was a problem as noted in a TSB in 2015. To this day, they are still replacing customer infotainment units with the exact same design that is destined to fail after 1-3 years. 5 class action lawsuits later, no accountability. 

Most of my customers swear off the brand and go to a competing luxury brand due to this egregious design error and lack of support from GM

Fortunately we have the improved design available and its an easy DIY job to fix on the Cadillac vehicles. 

1 minute ago, cuescreens said:

To be honest, the same thing happened with Cadillac. The factory touch screens delam after 1-3 years in service, starting in 2013. They knew it was a problem as noted in a TSB in 2015. To this day, they are still replacing customer infotainment units with the exact same design that is destined to fail after 1-3 years. 5 class action lawsuits later, no accountability. 

Most of my customers swear off the brand and go to a competing luxury brand due to this egregious design error and lack of support from GM

Fortunately we have the improved design available and its an easy DIY job to fix on the Cadillac vehicles. 

Well I really hope you can help us.