Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Touch Command screen delamination

I might be suffering from delamination as well. I can select everything on my touch screen except for the surf gate selector. However, I cannot get the surf gates to extend or retract using the Maliview setup either. I would assume the Maliview display and the touch screen would  operate independently of each other. Does anyone know if this is the case? Trying to figure out if my touch screen is on its way out or if it might be the Maliview display. Just installed a new surf-gate control box this summer and both actuators work. Thanks!

Thank you Csleaver!  I checked the fuse and the relay. They both work. I don't think there is breaker on the 2014 MXZ.

Tried disabling and enabling the surf gate and resetting the entire Maliview system--nothing! I'm perplexed.

Wakeswitches
15 hours ago, 7bMalibu said:

Thank you Csleaver!  I checked the fuse and the relay. They both work. I don't think there is breaker on the 2014 MXZ.

Tried disabling and enabling the surf gate and resetting the entire Maliview system--nothing! I'm perplexed.

Did you do the Surfgate calibration after resetting to factory defaults?

Yes, I tried that too. I have been unable to get the surf gate to respond at all via the Maliview setup screen. At first I was convinced I received a bad surf-gate control box (this still might be the case), because after installing it I was able to select the surf gate side on the touch screen, but nothing would happen. I took everything apart, checked the relay, 30-amp fuse, and actuators--they were all good. I tried seeing if the surf gates would extend on their own after hitting 7mph and that didn't work either. Finally, I gave up, manually extended the surf gate via battery, and went surfing. When I was surfing, my wife tried hitting the surf-gate selector on the touch screen and it worked! The next day it still worked, but now it extended the opposite side of what you would select. It worked that way for almost two weeks.

I don't think this is related, but I sheared a coupler bolt around this time, and the only reason I bring it up is the wiring harness and 30-amp fuse for the surf gate control box are pretty close to the coupler area. When I checked the coupler, I learned I sheared 3 bolts with one good bolt remaining and the stem of a sheared bolt still in place (that saved my bacon there). It took me about 5 days to get around to fixing the coupler bolts.  Fixed everything up and went surfing. I didn't realize when I hit my surfing preset that it didn't select the surf gate. I tried surfing anyway and the surf gates would not extend and now I could not select either side on the touch screen. I checked the surf-gate control box wiring harness and fuse again and did not see any obvious damage. I'm perplexed at this point. Any thoughts?

You could try turning off the surf gate option on the touch screen, and then turn it back on, or perform a touch screen reset to see if you can regain surf gate control.  If you have good system voltage and ground at the Medallion surf gate controller box, then there may be a problem with CAN communication to the box, or a problem with the box internally.

Thank you Csleaver. Tried turning it off and resetting previously--no love there. I haven't checked the system voltage--I'll try that. My boat guy said he checked the ground at the surf gate and said it was good. Definitely seems like there is a communication error, but it is weird that the surf-gate selector on the touch screen doesn't work now. I'm trying really hard not to bring it to the dealer, as they are awful and I won't see my boat for the rest of the summer. Thanks again!

Cue got in touch with me today.  He is having me send my MTC back to him.  The other guy in the DFW area who had a different version had success.  Cue has ordered 5 of those and will expand the testing.  Will be a little bit of time, but it sounds promising.  I will get mine shipped to his new address this week.

• Like 2

I have been following this thread as my 2011 has signs of delam around the edges (the dreaded bubbles), but is still working so far.  It seems that it is only a matter of time.

I also need to consider adding a keyed ignition as mine does not have one.

18 hours ago, obski said:

I have been following this thread as my 2011 has signs of delam around the edges (the dreaded bubbles), but is still working so far.  It seems that it is only a matter of time.

I also need to consider adding a keyed ignition as mine does not have one.

Here is a link for the install guide on the keyed ignition. 

https://www.wakeswitches.com/

Here is a link for a company who has created an alternative to replacing the piece of s*** screen.

On 8/5/2022 at 11:23 AM, Lackhawkdown said:

These are now available, link is in my profile. 

How would the heater control that is part of the MTC be integrated into this panel?

Wakeswitches
1 hour ago, obski said:

How would the heater control that is part of the MTC be integrated into this panel?

I’ll have some information about that coming soon. 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Lackhawkdown said:

I’ll have some information about that coming soon. 

This switch panel looks awesome!

Any plans to incorporate additional switches? i.e. heater (mentioned above), forward/rearward lights, docking lights, interior lights, ability to "accept" Bluetooth device?

On 6/27/2022 at 2:24 PM, Malibro22 said:

I forwarded this info and thread to TechConnections. Thanks! 

No one has volunteered a screen so there is no progress on attempting to take one apart. 

I have read this full thread and cue never said the screen couldn’t be taken apart just that is was messy and labor intensive. My friend agrees with this but it’s his business and he does this same process on other OEM type screens with these same delamination issues.  Medallion didn’t invent some special thing he’s never seen before. 

anyways - no progress because no one with a screen has sent one in to be the Guinea pig. 

1 hour ago, wkuwake said:

No one has volunteered a screen so there is no progress on attempting to take one apart. 

I have read this full thread and cue never said the screen couldn’t be taken apart just that is was messy and labor intensive. My friend agrees with this but it’s his business and he does this same process on other OEM type screens with these same delamination issues.  Medallion didn’t invent some special thing he’s never seen before. 

anyways - no progress because no one with a screen has sent one in to be the Guinea pig. 

There have been a few threads on this. Pretty sure people have tried to take the screens apart. We gave a screen to a guy here in town who fixes this type of stuff, he was not successful.  Its not that it cant be done, its the cost to do it and difficulty in not damaging the digitizer. 

6 hours ago, COOP said:

There have been a few threads on this. Pretty sure people have tried to take the screens apart. We gave a screen to a guy here in town who fixes this type of stuff, he was not successful.  Its not that it cant be done, its the cost to do it and difficulty in not damaging the digitizer. 

the thing to consider is that it’s also extremely expensive to replace these units for $3500-$4000. Even if he charged $2,000 to reglue the screens and it was a glitch free permanent repair then it would be worth it. Heck it would be worth it at $4,000 if the proper glue was used and no longer needed to be replaced every couple years since the replacement factory screens have the same defects as the original. 

What Cue is finding out is that it’s very difficult to reverse engineer screen/digitizer combos. If you don’t exactly match the digitizer touch sample rate and screen refresh rate of the aftermarket screen/digitizer to the proprietary medallion specs then it’s not going to work and that’s why the different revisions aren’t working correctly. Again as I said originally - an aftermarket screen/digitizer is long term the correct fix and will be the best quality/lowest cost solution but it’s going to take a while to get it to work. In the meantime it’s completely possible to reglue the screens / it’ll cost more due to the labor and expertise but it’s a more sure thing since you are refusing the factory components with new glue. 

Medallion didn’t invent a new glue for these screens my friend has never seen. They used the same stuff other automotive companies use where their screens are also failing in the same way. 

Wakeswitches
On 8/10/2022 at 1:24 PM, TheHilltopHood said:

This switch panel looks awesome!

Any plans to incorporate additional switches? i.e. heater (mentioned above), forward/rearward lights, docking lights, interior lights, ability to "accept" Bluetooth device?

Yes, please reach out through my site if this is of interest.

On 8/11/2022 at 7:57 AM, wkuwake said:

I sent my screen in. Several others have as well. My cousins husband owns a business that specializes in boat electronics. He’s tried to fix medallion screens 3 times and says it’s an absolute waste of time.

It’s absurd for you to say this has not been done simply due to lack of trying. If your friend is so great, then ask members to send him some and put your money where your mouth is. For me. I’ve already donated the only one I had to Cue.

These boats cost 3x more than most well-equipped vehicles, get way less touch-screen use than an every-day driver vehicle, and fail at ridiculous rates. I totally agree with Ryan--Malibu needs to own up and fix this crap.

• Like 2

At this point, I just want my boat to work reliably.  If there is no viable long term fix, Malibu should provide an option to owners, rather than letting almost 3 years of various models that will inevitably head to the dump since they will not be able to operate. 

Those new axis screens look solid and are made by reputable company.  How can they not offer this as some form of a replacement?  Limit it to owners with the proper HIN's. 

And yes, I know the size may not match up, but at this point, we could modify the dash.  Heck you need to cut up the boat to install their factory back up key install.

1 hour ago, saxton15 said:

At this point, I just want my boat to work reliably.  If there is no viable long term fix, Malibu should provide an option to owners, rather than letting almost 3 years of various models that will inevitably head to the dump since they will not be able to operate. 

Those new axis screens look solid and are made by reputable company.  How can they not offer this as some form of a replacement?  Limit it to owners with the proper HIN's. 

And yes, I know the size may not match up, but at this point, we could modify the dash.  Heck you need to cut up the boat to install their factory back up key install.

I do agree that Malibu and/or Medallion should be stepping up to make this right, but I don't see that happening so I'm going ahead with the Wakeswitches solution.  I've wanted to add a keyed ignition anyway.  I get a little nervous every time I'm out on the water that the boat won't restart after we change skiers.

My MTC still works but it has delamination 360 degrees around the periphery.

PXL_20220813_181833519.jpg

PXL_20220813_182015746.jpg