Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Touch Command screen delamination

On 3/6/2023 at 2:04 AM, Punyelroo said:

FYI I have swapped my busted Medallion screen with an MTC screen. DIY option. Was pretty straight forward per the video on the website.

My only comment is it seems to need a slightly firmer press than the Medallion but other than works like a charm and looks identical to the old one. 

Appears to be a high quality product at least to me!

Cheers

Andrew 

That awesome Andrew! 
Thanks for the write-up and taking the time to share. 

• 2 weeks later...
Wakeswitches
On 1/19/2023 at 9:38 PM, Wakeswitches said:

Happy New Year All!

I'd like to share the latest updates from Wakeswitches Consoles. Now available are consoles with surf gate controls for 2013-14 model year boats! These are potentially compatible with 2015 models also but yet to be confirmed. If you are a 2015 owner and interested in collaborating, please reach out. The available selection of consoles has been expanded to include solutions for boats with all lighting options, including tower lights. Whatever combination of lighting and heating options your boat has, you should find an appropriate console available on the site. As always, if you want something slightly different, changes can be made to the faceplates with only a few days additional lead time. There are also some pricing and warranty updates noted on the site. Analog is the economical solution with maximum long term reliability.

The app-based solution is almost ready, and should be available by our start of the season in the US. Here's how it works: You decide whether you want to use an existing tablet/phone and download the controller app, or add-on a new tablet to the kit with the app pre-loaded. New tablets will come with an enclosure that enables mounting in the mtc screen location. A microprocessor contained in an small enclosure is attached to the wire harness that originally connects to the mtc screen. The phone/tablet with the app loaded communicates to the microprocessor via Bluetooth. That's it. No other wiring, fuse holders, or connections required. The app will control all existing functions. Development of this solution is about 80% complete, and pricing will be very attractive.

Surf Gate.png

We had an exciting weekend getting the first lake test completed for the tablet control console, and the performance is fantastic! A video is posted on the site. Now I’m working on some final design refinements of the tablet mount and BT module enclosure, and adding some graphics. The HMI is a Samsung Tab A 7 mounted to the dash MTC opening with a custom bracket. The tablet communicates to the boat via Bluetooth to a module plugged into the MTC cable, and it controls every feature handled by the original screen. It's plug and play, and installs in 5 minutes or less. Now that this is developed, I would use it even if my MTC wasn't delaminated. Having a tablet with unlimited options for navigation & audio apps etc. at your fingertips will be a nice upgrade. I'd love to get all of your questions and feedback!369532394_TabletControlConsole.jpg.ac7738731b5647623516a77ad4f55155.jpg

Edited by Wakeswitches
Grammar
  • Like 3
8 hours ago, Wakeswitches said:

We had an exciting weekend getting the first lake test completed for the tablet control console, and the performance is fantastic! A video is posted on the site. Now I’m working on some final design refinements of the tablet mount and BT module enclosure, and adding some graphics. The HMI is a Samsung Tab A 7 mounted to the dash MTC opening with a custom bracket. The tablet communicates to the boat via Bluetooth to a module plugged into the MTC cable, and it controls every feature handled by the original screen. It's plug and play, and installs in 5 minutes or less. Now that this is developed, I would use it even if my MTC wasn't delaminated. Having a tablet with unlimited options for navigation & audio apps etc. at your fingertips will be a nice upgrade. I'd love to get all of your questions and feedback!369532394_TabletControlConsole.jpg.ac7738731b5647623516a77ad4f55155.jpg

How does the tablet stay charged?

Does it work with the boat presets?

Edited by hunter77ah
Addl. Question
On 3/25/2023 at 2:09 PM, JLT3 said:

Well I have finished a few weeks of extensive testing with Cue's solution for the MTC screen.  I am very happy with it and it works great.  Brightness, sensitivity, and look is great.  I have a video but it will not let me upload.  Thanks to Cue Screens for sticking with this.  I had tested multiple screens and this one is the one to move forward with.  I will let you guys know if I run into any issues.  These boats are solid but the MTC screen hold some back from purchasing one.  Now there is no reason to not buy a boat with MTC.

thumbnail-89.jpeg

Does the CUE screen lose the chrome bezel? 

Wakeswitches
12 minutes ago, hunter77ah said:

How does the tablet stay charged?

Does it work with the boat presets?

There will be a charge cable integrated with the Bluetooth module that is routes to the tablet through the mount. 

Yes, the presets still work normally. 

19 hours ago, Wakeswitches said:

Can you re-post the website?

Wakeswitches
29 minutes ago, Pstangle86 said:

Can you re-post the website?

I don't want to break any tmc rules, but you'll find it in my profile.

14 hours ago, hunter77ah said:

Does the CUE screen lose the chrome bezel? 

The chrome bezel clips on and off just like the old screen.  I had it off while I was testing so I could see any light/pixel problems if they existed.  I also see there is a new option on the bluetooth connections concept by Wakeswitches.  That is pretty cool.  I want to know where all you engineers were hiding the last 10 years or so.  lol

Glad we have a solution to the problem.  No thanks to Medallion or Malibu.  I wonder how much the screens will be this year if anyone dares to buy a new one now.  Crazy

Edited by JLT3
On 3/27/2023 at 11:26 PM, Wakeswitches said:

This is great to see. How do you deal with the surf gates? I see you have a push button activation, but I seem to recall that the surf gates come out at speeds and retract when you slow. I can only assume this makes takeoff a bit smoother, and also makes it easier to pick up the rider. Would we need to manually pull in the surf gates and extend them every time? This is not a deal breaker by any means, just curious about the ease of use for people a little less familiar with the boat. It might not even matter if we leave them out, it would just be an adjustment.

Wakeswitches
1 hour ago, Pstangle86 said:

This is great to see. How do you deal with the surf gates? I see you have a push button activation, but I seem to recall that the surf gates come out at speeds and retract when you slow. I can only assume this makes takeoff a bit smoother, and also makes it easier to pick up the rider. Would we need to manually pull in the surf gates and extend them every time? This is not a deal breaker by any means, just curious about the ease of use for people a little less familiar with the boat. It might not even matter if we leave them out, it would just be an adjustment.

Currently you need to press the surf button again, or the surf off button to retract. The launch & handling performance with the gate extended isn't noticeably different between zero & surf speed. The module is capable of reading boat speed, so it can be coded to function the same as existing with some more development. That could be a future update if desired. In the interim, I'll probably code the first release so the surf gate auto retracts if it's extended when the engine is shut off. This would prevent leaving it extended after the session if you forget to retract.

• 2 weeks later...

@Wakeswitches - A couple questions regarding your two options:

Physical Switch Panel

1. With the latest updates, do you still need to have the existing MTC screen wired in place, under the dash?
  2. With the Surf Gate Switch set to "out", will the gate automatically retract when the boat slows / extend again when up to speed?

Tablet Touch Screen Option

1. Same as above - is the original MTC screen still required to operate?
  2. Same as above - I see you answered this above in regards to the tablet option. Would it be just a software/app update to incorporate this functionality?
Wakeswitches
53 minutes ago, TheHilltopHood said:

@Wakeswitches - A couple questions regarding your two options:

Physical Switch Panel

1. With the latest updates, do you still need to have the existing MTC screen wired in place, under the dash?
  2. With the Surf Gate Switch set to "out", will the gate automatically retract when the boat slows / extend again when up to speed?

Tablet Touch Screen Option

1. Same as above - is the original MTC screen still required to operate?
  2. Same as above - I see you answered this above in regards to the tablet option. Would it be just a software/app update to incorporate this functionality?

Thanks for your questions. The original screen is not needed for either product. The analog surf gate switches are fully manual, so the rams only move while the momentary switch is held. The tablet surf gate control is auto except for the deploying/retracting at the stock speed setpoint. Once that is configured it will be a software update. I will probably phase out the surf gate analog console when the tablet console is released in about 2 weeks. I’m just awaiting the arrival of the tablet mounts. 

@Wakeswitches  Will you be able to run audio apps (ie Spotify) from the this tablet with bluetooth capability or even better yet provide audio-out hard line as part of the wiring harness?  Just curious if a guy could source/control music from this same tablet.

Wakeswitches
23 hours ago, lake4life said:

@Wakeswitches  Will you be able to run audio apps (ie Spotify) from the this tablet with bluetooth capability or even better yet provide audio-out hard line as part of the wiring harness?  Just curious if a guy could source/control music from this same tablet.

Yes, you can install any apps on the tablet. It does have a headphone jack you could hardline to, but you would see the end of the cable before its routed behind the tablet & dash. The option I personally go with is a bluetooth fob plugged into the aux port with the tablet connected to that fob.

Wakeswitches
19 hours ago, Sharpag01 said:

@Wakeswitches, are you going to consider an IOS version on an IPad mini?

@Sharpag01 Yes, that’s the plan! It might be a couple months away. For anyone needing an earlier solution but wanting an iPad, it will be possible to do an exchange. 

Tablet mounts are arriving and the Samsung based system will be available next week. 

On 3/29/2023 at 5:58 PM, Wakeswitches said:

Currently you need to press the surf button again, or the surf off button to retract. The launch & handling performance with the gate extended isn't noticeably different between zero & surf speed. The module is capable of reading boat speed, so it can be coded to function the same as existing with some more development. That could be a future update if desired. In the interim, I'll probably code the first release so the surf gate auto retracts if it's extended when the engine is shut off. This would prevent leaving it extended after the session if you forget to retract.

FYI, the factory logic that controls the surfgate is the way it is for safety reasons.  I could see potential issues if you simply coded it to pull in the gates once the engine shuts off if someone was climbing up onto the platform and got a hand pinched in there or something.  Something to consider when working out deploy/retract logic.  Maybe if deployed, they auto-retract any time RPM drops below 1000 and don't re-deploy until RPM is over 2500 for more than 5 seconds.

Wakeswitches
8 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

FYI, the factory logic that controls the surfgate is the way it is for safety reasons.  I could see potential issues if you simply coded it to pull in the gates once the engine shuts off if someone was climbing up onto the platform and got a hand pinched in there or something.  Something to consider when working out deploy/retract logic.  Maybe if deployed, they auto-retract any time RPM drops below 1000 and don't re-deploy until RPM is over 2500 for more than 5 seconds.

That’s a very good point, thank you. Probably will leave it for the operator to retract via pressing “off” for the first release while working on the code to match the stock functionality.