Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Touch Command screen delamination

This is the best news I’ve heard on this issue to date. You will without a doubt have an instant market to sell to. Every single screen they made is defective.  Thank you for doing this. And…. I’ll never but another Malibu again. 

Ryan

11 hours ago, wakeparadise said:

This is the best news I’ve heard on this issue to date. You will without a doubt have an instant market to sell to. Every single screen they made is defective.  Thank you for doing this. And…. I’ll never but another Malibu again. 

Ryan

IIRC…MC and Ski Nautique used the same medallion screens. I’m on both forums and I’ve seen the same frustration. It’s crap the way Malibu has handled this, but I don’t think they are much different than other boat manufacturers.

@cuescreens you may want to visit planetnautique.com and TeamTalk.Mastercraft.com. There may be others that can use your solution.

@cuescreens I'd volunteer to test.  I don't have a spare screen but I'd happily swap out the screen and put it through it's paces.  I fear mine won't work this Summer so this thread update is amazing to read.

On 1/7/2022 at 8:32 PM, braindamage said:

IIRC…MC and Ski Nautique used the same medallion screens. I’m on both forums and I’ve seen the same frustration. It’s crap the way Malibu has handled this, but I don’t think they are much different than other boat manufacturers.

@cuescreens you may want to visit planetnautique.com and TeamTalk.Mastercraft.com. There may be others that can use your solution.

Thanks for the heads up. Once I get the first couple beta testers going, I will reach out for further expansion.

Does anyone have a complete list of the Makes, models, and years that were affected with this issue?

I am wondering if I can use the same LCD/Digitizer assembly on them all, or if there are different updates over the years that require a separate part number.

8 minutes ago, cuescreens said:

Thanks for the heads up. Once I get the first couple beta testers going, I will reach out for further expansion.

Does anyone have a complete list of the Makes, models, and years that were affected with this issue?

I am wondering if I can use the same LCD/Digitizer assembly on them all, or if there are different updates over the years that require a separate part number.

I don't know but I do see this description on Bakes website for these screens which may clue you into what at least some common years are.

Used on 2011-2015 and early 2016 Malibu Boats, the 2011-2015 Malibu Boats Touchscreen from Bakes Marine is also known as the Malibu Touch Command (MTC). Made by Medallion Instruments, this touchscreen may require a software update once installed. Please note we do not accept returns on electronics.

https://www.bakesonline.com/malibu-boats-touch-screen-display.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAlfqOBhAeEiwAYi43F1ISDYDZIR-4LDsm9v7N23K2zMc1RzKYPA4plXMC8q_s-lgh2toY8hoCLpkQAvD_BwE

• Like 2

I want to say that this is an awesome endeavor and I'm very thankful you chose to do this!  I've put four of your Cue Screen replacements in my Cadillacs over the years.  That's 100% replacement of my center console display in Caddy's I've owned.  Every one of your screens has surpassed the service life of the OEM screens. And in the case of the two I still own are going strong.

I live in NZ and have a 2011LXI so very interested in this potential fix. My screen starting to play up with similar issues to other forum members.

thanks to everyone who has contributed

So are you really just replacing just the LCD screen and reusing all the existing hardware and plastic case so that without any reprogramming the screen works the exact same? Just a dummy here wondering.. but I did buy an extra screen a year ago so I'm covered when my current one goes. I'll gladly send my old one in for repair though just to have an extra.

1 hour ago, HPskier1 said:

So are you really just replacing just the LCD screen and reusing all the existing hardware and plastic case so that without any reprogramming the screen works the exact same? Just a dummy here wondering.. but I did buy an extra screen a year ago so I'm covered when my current one goes. I'll gladly send my old one in for repair though just to have an extra.

The design of these MTC units has the LCD/Touch Glass/ Digitizer all bonded together with adhesive so they are one piece units. But yes, that entire assembly is getting replaced and the plastic housing box and internal board is getting re-used. The old tape and glue has to be removed to properly affix the new LCD assembly. 

Of note- the design is changed on these new upgraded LCD assemblies- rather than the glue adhesive as in the Medallion original design, I am using OCA sheet just like what is used in your cell phone. This provides a much stronger bond to the surfaces and should resist delamination when exposed to heat and UV

Edited by cuescreens
1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

The only issue with your exchange idea is that older units will have older software and would likely need to be updated by a dealer to work in newer boats. 

Is there a DIY way to update the SW? I bet someone is willing to put together a tutorial as this has been a huge thorn that I bet both Malibu and their dealers would love to remove and be completely out of the process.