Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Touch Command screen delamination

9 hours ago, cuescreens said:

Greetings all- does anyone have a delaminated old display module available?

I own the company cuescreens and we have solved this issue for the Cadillac vehicles, their infotainment systems suffer a similar fate as to your malibu boats. You can see the background at cuescreens.com. In a nutshell, we design a replacement touch screen assembly that does not use LOCA "Liquid optically clear adhesive" which is prone to drying out and causing issues. 

My aim is to source a defective unit here for research with the suppliers to provide a permanent solution to you Malibu owners.

I can send you a pre paid shipping label to send it to me. 

Thanks!

Message sent

On 7/13/2021 at 12:29 PM, saxton15 said:

The bubbling looks slightly different on these medallion screens.  Regardless, I'm very interested if you are able to get this done.  I'd send you mine during the offseason for repair.  

Correct- it is slightly different- but the root cause is the same. The LOCA substance dries out and loses its bond to the digitizer and touch surfaces, leaving an air gap. You can see it in this video on the Cadillac versions. BMW has a similar issue with their idrive systems. Seems like the manufacturers were in the "monkey see monkey do" method of frantic rushed development while being pressured for time to market, not leaving enough time for long term testing. We simply assemble the panels with double sided tape, and leave an air gap in place of the LOCA gel. No issues. Nothing to fail or dry out. Much better design :) cuescreens.com

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am in the process of receiving a defect unit from a forum member and will post up the results-

In the mean time- here is some info that would really help:

->Could you guys post up some high quality photos showing the defect, perhaps with the display backlight on as well? 

->What models/years were affected?

->What symptoms appear when the delamination happens? (Loss of touch control, bubbling appearance, erratic touch?)

12 hours ago, cuescreens said:

Correct- it is slightly different- but the root cause is the same. The LOCA substance dries out and loses its bond to the digitizer and touch surfaces, leaving an air gap. You can see it in this video on the Cadillac versions. BMW has a similar issue with their idrive systems. Seems like the manufacturers were in the "monkey see monkey do" method of frantic rushed development while being pressured for time to market, not leaving enough time for long term testing. We simply assemble the panels with double sided tape, and leave an air gap in place of the LOCA gel. No issues. Nothing to fail or dry out. Much better design :) cuescreens.com

Is there any concern with the intentional air gap in a marine environment?  These screens are exposed to a much harsher environment that the inside of a caddy with regards to moisture.

To answer your question, my original 2013 screen had intermittent functionality of the screen once it started delaminating.  I replaced in 2019 and knock of wood I am still in good shape.  The old one is on a shelf in a closet, so I can’t get you pics with it powered on.

This is great and all but I’m not getting any hopes up until I actually see this work on the Malibu screens. There’s a lot of forum posts like this where guys “think” they got a fix and then nothing ever comes from it.  Damn Malibu tax

On 7/15/2021 at 8:42 AM, cuescreens said:

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am in the process of receiving a defect unit from a forum member and will post up the results-

->Could you guys post up some high quality photos showing the defect, perhaps with the display backlight on as well? 

->What symptoms appear when the delamination happens? (Loss of touch control, bubbling appearance, erratic touch?)

Great News and I'm on Board, I'm on my second screen as others and it started to bubble at the top last summer. I still have my old one which is in worse shape, and if need I could ship it to you to for testing your repair process. 👍

On 7/13/2021 at 6:54 PM, cuescreens said:

To be honest, the same thing happened with Cadillac. The factory touch screens delam after 1-3 years in service, starting in 2013. They knew it was a problem as noted in a TSB in 2015. To this day, they are still replacing customer infotainment units with the exact same design that is destined to fail after 1-3 years. 5 class action lawsuits later, no accountability. 

Most of my customers swear off the brand and go to a competing luxury brand due to this egregious design error and lack of support from GM

Fortunately we have the improved design available and its an easy DIY job to fix on the Cadillac vehicles. 

Cue, 

not to be a pest but realistically what's the time frame for something like this to happen if everything goes right?? As we all know this has been a problem I am sure there are quite a few of us that are playing a devilish game of screens on the edge of breakdown. Not to get hopes to high just as a planning tool. Thanks for all your hard work on this, I cant believe we still have to battle this problem 10 years after introduction. 

• 3 weeks later...

I’m in the process of going to an old school manual switch panel with a huge thank you to my son for figuring out how to do this. I have a 2013 TXI without ballast or wedge. We have some minor tweaking left to do. I’ll post more in the next couple of weeks when finished.  The total cost was a little over $200. 
https://ibb.co/yNrxRXf https://ibb.co/G7p16VH 

• Thanks 1
On 7/15/2021 at 11:42 AM, cuescreens said:

There is a definite market for this.   I'm not 100% sure on your questions so I'll let others adjust my data as needed.   I think all 2011-2015(?)  Malibu boat models.   And its my understanding other manufacturers use this same screen as well, but I cant name exactly who off the top of my head.     All those symptoms happen.

I hope you get some good positive results here soon!  I'd be in for one!

49 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

For wakesetters except for the vtx through 2015 and the txi used it through 2016 model years. 

Good to know! Thanks