Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2021 Predictions and model changes

bcoppess23

42 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Hmmmm.... I haven’t seen pics in the wild, but I’m sure it’s happened in years past. As soon as a dealer takes delivery it could be sold a day later onto your local lake. Probably more true this year that ever before.

Maybe it’s also different this year because they switched over the factory to model year 2021 a bit earlier. 

Good point on the early switch over. Anyway.. exciting to see the all the changes and new boats for 2021.

9 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Curious on why you say that? The M240 has a way better wave than the 24 MXZ. I’d be much more inclined to say the M220 will follow suit with ballast setups and performance. 

24 MXZ regular surf gates . M240 Much Larger Surf Fusion gates I would expect it to have a better wave

22 MXZ regular surf gates. M220 Looks like regular surf gates.   you can add ballast to any boat and you can get same engines in both boats .

I hope it does have a trick up its sleeve as its a contender for my next boat, If it can produce a wave close to M240 and its priced in the right bracket.

The boat has been great thus far! Minus the gremlins in my audio system that is. My 2017 Nautique 230 threw and very long surf wave with a bunch of push far back. Initially I was concerned that the Malibu would lack in that department but after spending an hour or so behind it I can gladly report that the push is every bit as good as my 230 and maybe even a bit better. The m6di is an absolute powerhouse and I’m glad I decided to go with it (super quite). Surfing at 11.2 with all ballast full including the 580’s in the rear and the wedge at 2 clicks from lift the rpms were firmly planted at 3400-3450 (I have the high altitude prop). Getting up to wakeboard speed with 3 adults in the boat and everything full wasn’t the least bit difficult and didn’t seem to tax the m6 at all. I will say that even though the dry weight is only 450 pounds heavier that my 230, the lsv FEELS SO MUCH HEAVIER when trying to hold onto it while at my dock. The fit and finish is nice as well. I did find a few blemishes from the factory but nothing that can’t be handled by my dealer in the fall. Another nice improvement over my friends 2017 lsv is the fact that the steering wheel stays firmly in place while surfing. I can literally let go of it while someone is surfing and the boat keeps tracking straight without even the slightest bit of pull. The ballast fills insanely fast but doesn’t drain nearly as quick. Not sure if that’s normal or not but it doesn’t bother me at all. I don’t have many pictures just yet but I can upload a link to one of it sitting on my lawn. Feel free to throw any questions my way and I’ll do my best to get them answered.

1 hour ago, sbaird4000 said:

The boat has been great thus far! Minus the gremlins in my audio system that is. My 2017 Nautique 230 threw and very long surf wave with a bunch of push far back. Initially I was concerned that the Malibu would lack in that department but after spending an hour or so behind it I can gladly report that the push is every bit as good as my 230 and maybe even a bit better. The m6di is an absolute powerhouse and I’m glad I decided to go with it (super quite). Surfing at 11.2 with all ballast full including the 580’s in the rear and the wedge at 2 clicks from lift the rpms were firmly planted at 3400-3450 (I have the high altitude prop). Getting up to wakeboard speed with 3 adults in the boat and everything full wasn’t the least bit difficult and didn’t seem to tax the m6 at all. I will say that even though the dry weight is only 450 pounds heavier that my 230, the lsv FEELS SO MUCH HEAVIER when trying to hold onto it while at my dock. The fit and finish is nice as well. I did find a few blemishes from the factory but nothing that can’t be handled by my dealer in the fall. Another nice improvement over my friends 2017 lsv is the fact that the steering wheel stays firmly in place while surfing. I can literally let go of it while someone is surfing and the boat keeps tracking straight without even the slightest bit of pull. The ballast fills insanely fast but doesn’t drain nearly as quick. Not sure if that’s normal or not but it doesn’t bother me at all. I don’t have many pictures just yet but I can upload a link to one of it sitting on my lawn. Feel free to throw any questions my way and I’ll do my best to get them answered.

"2017 lsv is the fact that the steering wheel stays firmly in place while surfing. I can literally let go of it while someone is surfing and the boat keeps tracking straight without even the slightest bit of pull."

That sounds like a huge improvement.. my 2019 23LSV (also M6 but smaller prop) requires a ton of force to keep it straight.

20 minutes ago, gregtay said:

"2017 lsv is the fact that the steering wheel stays firmly in place while surfing. I can literally let go of it while someone is surfing and the boat keeps tracking straight without even the slightest bit of pull."

That sounds like a huge improvement.. my 2019 23LSV (also M6 but smaller prop) requires a ton of force to keep it straight.

Edited by sbaird4000
21 minutes ago, gregtay said:

I will say that my rudder needs a slight adjustment because the boat pulls to the right and the steering wheel is off center when under way. That being said, I can’t imagine that has anything to do with the steering wheel staying in place while surfing because we only surf on the port side and the boat would pull even harder to the right if there wasn’t some sort of improvement made. 

22 minutes ago, sbaird4000 said:

I will say that my rudder needs a slight adjustment because the boat pulls to the right and the steering wheel is off center when under way. That being said, I can’t imagine that has anything to do with the steering wheel staying in place while surfing because we only surf on the port side and the boat would pull even harder to the right if there wasn’t some sort of improvement made. 

Might need to adjust the trim tab on your rudder a bit.  I'd be very curious to see what rudder they are putting on there.  Does the rudder say SUNSETTER on it?

ahopkins22LSV
16 hours ago, LucasC said:

24 MXZ regular surf gates . M240 Much Larger Surf Fusion gates I would expect it to have a better wave

22 MXZ regular surf gates. M220 Looks like regular surf gates.   you can add ballast to any boat and you can get same engines in both boats .

I hope it does have a trick up its sleeve as its a contender for my next boat, If it can produce a wave close to M240 and its priced in the right bracket.

There is so much more that goes into it than that. The hull design plays way more of a factor than the size of the surfgate. Then factor in the overall boat weight plus ballast capacity. And I would venture to guess that even though the m220 has the traditional location, it is not the same size as the 22 mxz. 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, gregtay said:

Me too...

21 hours ago, gregtay said:

Might need to adjust the trim tab on your rudder a bit.  I'd be very curious to see what rudder they are putting on there.  Does the rudder say SUNSETTER on it?

Rudder says Sunscape 25. 

Just now, sbaird4000 said:

Rudder says Sunscape 25. 

Thx. Thats the normal 17" prop rudder (which I am tempted to try on my boat.) Did your boat come with the hydraulic steering option by chance?

No idea, I wasn’t aware that was an option. I will say that the steering wheel does have a bit of resistance in it when turning but I figured it was an inherent Malibu trait because I never experienced any resistance in my Nautique.

@sbaird4000 what are your impressions of the bow seating and the new placement of the speakers?  I'm worried, but will hold judgment until I've sat in one.  Do the speakers get in the way at all of the legs of a passenger seated forward?  Can you sneak two people in the very front of the bow anymore?

Edited by jammer
21 minutes ago, Five Cent Worth said:

@sbaird4000 that looks phenomenal.  :cheers:

Agree!  Looks great!  That color scheme really works with the gel pattern (compared to a few we have seen pop up.) Love the interior enhancements and the G5 is growing on me.  I like it better than the G3 but still looks a little anemic but that is likely because it so closely resembles an Gx but a skinny version.  I am very curious what the G5 folded clearance is (ie: when down is it flush with the windshield?... if so then I think A LOT of people will be happy because it will solve a lot of the garage clearance issues (no more removing the tow bar or using the low clearance one.)  I had to go with the Gx simply to make the garage thing easy and there were a few other boats I had to cross of my list because there was no way they were going to fit under an 8' door.

14 hours ago, sbaird4000 said:

2-D077-C4-C-9-B30-425-E-BC5-A-C86-B8-A0-

@sbaird4000 - Do those Revs bolt directly to the tower?  Or is there an adapter plate?  WS said plates wouldn't be available until early 2021.  Curious since I was planning to do towers later.