Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2021 Predictions and model changes

bcoppess23

16 minutes ago, Slayer said:

I'm torn on the speaker placement.  It seems that it may produce better sound, but the placement is intrusive to the cabin space.  It seems like if someone is sitting in the bow facing forward, the speakers are in the way of the natural placement of one's legs.  That I don't understand.  I know when my better half and I are in the bow of our 22 VLX, we enjoy the space that's there.  Otherwise, I'm liking all the other improvements quite a bit, the walk-through being my favorite thus far.  

Agreed, The walk through is the selling point and why im upgrading from a 22 vlx this year ( along with tons of other small improvements). But the speakers are throwing me off a bit.

Im hoping to go see one in person soon or here some more examples of how it does or doesnt intrude on the space of people sitting there. Like i mentioned earlier, im hoping pictures just make it look off

It might just be the pics but I agree.  It looks a bit strange, though I do get the idea of mounting speakers that way.  Back in the old days before factory bow speakers were a thing, people would fit small 3-4" or so speakers on wedge shaped housings that would fit in those bow side openings.  I remember seeing threads about this back on the old forum.  I think the idea makes sense, will wait to see on the execution side.  I wonder if they wanted to mount them that way why they didn't consider a smaller driver.

ahopkins22LSV
20 minutes ago, SouthsideBoarder said:

Is the rear ski pylon no longer for 2021 23LSV?

It’s a pop up in the middle of the walk way at the back of the boat.

AB79F9E6-0A9A-4828-BB88-7CF95B51EA1E.jpeg

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

It’s a pop up in the middle of the walk way at the back of the boat.

AB79F9E6-0A9A-4828-BB88-7CF95B51EA1E.jpeg

Thanks. Was wondering if that was it or if that was something else. Glad to hear it’s not gone. 

2 hours ago, Slayer said:

I'm torn on the speaker placement.  It seems that it may produce better sound, but the placement is intrusive to the cabin space.  It seems like if someone is sitting in the bow facing forward, the speakers are in the way of the natural placement of one's legs.  That I don't understand. 

Or hitting you in the lower back if you have your back against it watching someone surf or wakeboard.

3 hours ago, Slayer said:

I'm torn on the speaker placement.  It seems that it may produce better sound, but the placement is intrusive to the cabin space.  It seems like if someone is sitting in the bow facing forward, the speakers are in the way of the natural placement of one's legs.  That I don't understand.  I know when my better half and I are in the bow of our 22 VLX, we enjoy the space that's there.  Otherwise, I'm liking all the other improvements quite a bit, the walk-through being my favorite thus far.  

I spent a few hours in the 23MXZ last fall.  Mostly to measure the performance of the M6.  But I was keenly interested in how those bow speaker placements would help with sound.  They don't stick out like that in the 23MXZ.  But they are rear firing.  After a bunch of tunes on the OEM system my opinion is that they don't help sound.  They don't hurt it either.  The windshield still deflects a bunch of it.  The bow is it's own zone.  In the cabin you don't realize any benefits of the "stage" coming forward because the bow speakers are positioned fortuitously.  I don't know about the user experience.  They do seem like they're going to be in the way a bit till you get used to them.  Good thing the kids wear body armor in the boat. :) My dog might put a claw through them though.

My guess is if you BLAST them with 150W, then yes the sound balances a bit at the drivers seat.  No one else behind the glass will care.  It will make the two legged (and four) visual impairments in the bow retreat though if you want them gone. :) However, audibly it's not enough to make them sticking out in the middle of the play pen worth it. Time will tell as always.

What's with the flossing stick look for the new tower by the way?

1 hour ago, Slurpee said:

What's with the flossing stick look for the new tower by the way?

Closer alignment to the GX tower. Very similar honestly. Looks great when loaded up with speakers and the bimini mount is killer from what I hear. 

Finally a speaker at the drivers feet so they can get a little bit of the audio going down the lake without blaring the tower speakers, killing the rear passengers.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

Finally a speaker at the drivers feet so they can get a little bit of the audio going down the lake without blaring the tower speakers, killing the rear passengers.

When they actually start aiming the tweeters you’ll know they have a real audio engineer and care. But YAY for any pilot speakers!

D8DD3BE6-88D1-4376-876C-6731F337B5E0.jpeg

• Like 3
46 minutes ago, Slurpee said:

When they actually start aiming the tweeters you’ll know they have a real audio engineer and care. But YAY for any pilot speakers!

D8DD3BE6-88D1-4376-876C-6731F337B5E0.jpeg

Why'd they ever go away from speakers on the dash anyways?  They were kindof a pain to work on but sounded great.

ahopkins22LSV
25 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Why'd they ever go away from speakers on the dash anyways?  They were kindof a pain to work on but sounded great.

Ease of service plays a huge role is all design. Have to imagine it plays an even bigger role in something that is warrantied for 5 years. 

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Ease of service plays a huge role is all design. Have to imagine it plays an even bigger role in something that is warrantied for 5 years. 

Plausible of course. But i don’t buy it yet. Let’s look at the cadillac models lately. They’re doing dash speakers and calling it “amazing”. But it’s an old idea.  I replaced my dash speakers on the ‘01 a few times. It’s not hard.  Certainly longer than 6 screws and a driver. But if you buy nice speakers like I did the 2nd time they’ll run for a long time. My ‘01 still has the JL MX series I put in 11 years ago and they sound great still according to the owner. If you put in Best Buy JBL like I started with and warranty 5 years then... yeah. Ick. 

Edited by Slurpee
13 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Can you guys get my wife to start reading TMC?

And keep her away from Target....  Would have a bigger boat already....  :lol:

57 minutes ago, gregtay said:

Anyone know what this round cutout (highlighted with red arrow) is for on the new 23?  Is there a drain up there now?

1179001817_232021.thumb.JPG.3134aa35fd71e089912d102e8f1184f5.JPG

Our 25 has a drain there, so i would guess its the same thing.

Did anyone get a date on when the build tool for 2021's is going to be on the site?  It is obviously still 2020 and I couldn't imagine you could even get a 2020 now.