Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'07 Reponse Window issue

jsaxton

I really haven't heard much about the windshield since the above referenced "tommy boy" got me all wound around the axle about the '03 RLXi I bought in November and had to winterize upon bringing it home. I do have to say that my efforts at being concerned about no tseeing were all ill-spent as I can see just fine from my driver seat and have been able to since '03. Some RLXi's are easier to see out of then others I'll say and that's all years since '03, not just limited to '03.

What's that mean for this new boat? I dunno, I haven't been able to lay eyes upon one yet-dealer says it has a w/s problem(?????). Doug's point is well taken I think Madman, right or wrong, there has been limited positive press about the new boat and more then the fair share of warnings to new potential buyers of problems with this or that. We may not know one single fact about the whole boat, we do know where our money is spent and those two things don't seem to add up in Bu's favor right now, IMO. I'm not ganging up on you Madman, this is how I'm seeing it right now.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• skicrave

• doughickey

• WakeGirl

• SmoothWaterMan

First off, my info says "dealer"..and most everyone on here knows who I am...not rocket science. Secondly, I am a long way from hurting for sales, believe me. Myself (and my dealership) are in fact doing quite well, but I do appreciate your concern.

What pisses me off is the fact that you are on here talking about something you know nothing about. What is your opinion based on, save your being a "former engineer in the manufacturing sector"? Was that the skiboat sector? For all I know, you could have been engineering turtle shaped sandboxes. You are entitled to an opinion, as I am... my friend.

My opinion is that you are Chicken Little. You hope the windshield (and Monsoon) is junk, to validate your "point". Makes that 98 look that much better then...don't it? Take a look at one, drive it, ski it, then I may put more stock in your opinion. Biggrin.gif

Chicken Little here. My, we're touchy.

This forum, is for open discussions. And opinions. Obviously you don't like mine.... but I am part of the group of folks you're trying to encourage into spending money at your dealership. Sales, is just the end result of marketing and pubic perception and public acceptance. I have a "perception" based on years of experience (not in turtle sandboxes) that early manufactured things just have more potential (repeat, potential) for having issues. That said, those that jump in early not only reap the rewards of being first on the block with the new gizmo, but have to also live with the early-life issues. Trade-off. One that I (and possibly others) are not willing to make.

Quite frankly, as a dealer, you have a form of conflict of interest in discussing this windshield issue. If there really is a windshield issue (that delays sales), then it hurts your pocketbook. As such, of course you would want to let your buying public know (or think) it is a non-issue. Everything is fine... just sign the orderbook please.

As for me (Chicken Little), I'd prefer to see how the problems get fixed.

As for your snarly dig at me having just an aging '98 Response.... what's the problem with that? Oh, I forgot, unless I'm ready to plunk a pile of cash down in your showroom for a newer model, guess I live on the wrong side of the tracks. So sorry. But I forgot, you remind me, you're doing quite well in sales, so can afford to insult guys with older boats.

Guess I'll end my comments with a smiley also, so you think I'm not serious. :)

Edited by doughickey

Whoa, okay everybody take a deep breath & relax. We are all entitled to our opinions & to express them here, but what I think that everyone here needs to remember is that nothing in this thread is being conveyed as fact, whether it's "bashing" or vice versa. This is all speculation, right? And as such, remember that it's speculation on the internet. Remember what kind of value that may or may not have (the old addage of getting what you pay for comes to mind).

If you ask me (& nobody has, but that's not stopping me :lol:), there was a lot more "new technology" introduced that we had no choice but to go with in '06 than in '07. A little 'ol windshield on 2 models is nothing compared with the potential problems that throttle by wire & the stock speed control posed (look at the problems that MC had when they introduced throttle by wire). Malibu pulled those rabbits out of the hat with very few issues.

My name is Peter Brown, and I am a Malibu Dealer.

I love The Reference!

Biggrin.gif

I thought it (the movie version) had a good speech and he ended it well....and yea, I just always wanted to say that.

Biggrin.gif

Peter

ps - nice catch J, it's not like a current movie either.

jsaxton - I think you started this thread right? What are you doing talking about the TN plant while living in CA...? Aren't you a bit closer to Merced?

Peter. :)

Man, that poor windshield, ever since 2003 it's had to deal with someone being upset with it. :)

Where I heard of the info first, from a friend in the east. I turned to the 'crew for some potential insight and instead stirred up a hornets nest. Personally, I am not the least concerned...I don't have an '07 nor am I waiting..Whats more, I expect Malibu will do what it right by the consumer, in the end there is too much to lose not to.

Doug,

My intent was not to insult you b/c you are in a '98. If it came across that way, I apologize.

I think there are folks on here (including myself) that know much more about the issue than yourself. As far as as conflict of interest, I disagree. I would not send an inferior product out the door, just as Malibu would not ship me an inferior product.

BTW, the bad batch of windshields came out of Canada Tongue.gif . Now that was a shot at you, in a good natured...funny sort of way. I hope you take it that way Biggrin.gif .

I am MM, and I approved this message.

BTW, the bad batch of windshields came out of Canada Tongue.gif .

Defective Rlxi windshields from Canada.

If this doesn't bring Tom R back, nothing ever will.

Malibu made a bold move making big changes to a popular boat that was still fairly new and still in its stride. It's supposed to be a better boat, but looks enough like a wake board boat to cause some traditional buyers to take a step back. The look of the windshield is controversial enough, without having bad PR about design flaws. I'm sure they will get worked out. I hope they have traditional colors, though, I think they look like an Orca with that white section of the bow.

If the new Rlxi puts out a wake like the rumors have indicated, I'm sure the windshield problem will be worked out and quickly forgotten.

If the new Rlxi puts out a wake like the rumors have indicated, I'm sure the windshield problem will be worked out and quickly forgotten.

Here here!

I don't think they sink worse than the Sportster. Jerry, when you sink yours, do your passengers blame Malibu or driver error? Mine always point to the guy behind the wheel.

We could always start dogging it for its submarine tendencies and see if we can stir the pot some more. ;)

I heard they corrected the issue with a higher nose on the new version.

I was very apprehensive about this issue when I bought my 05 Rlxi. We took significant water over the front only once all Summer and the wife was behind the wheel at the time. It is an issue, but you can get it over most rollers if you're paying attention.

Edited by Tom Sawyer

That and the design of the Cut Diamond hull with the chines that come all the way up to the rubrail instead of meeting under the bow have a created a lot more lift to keep the nose from diving.

I'm sure it's still possible to get it under though.

Get with the program Hank! The submarine thing has apparently been addressed on the new design. Sheesh! :Doh: Try to keep up, OK? Tongue.gif

What did they do, integrate the periscope with the extended pylon?

Edited by HRemington

Get with the program Hank! The submarine thing has apparently been addressed on the new design. Sheesh! :Doh: Try to keep up, OK? Tongue.gif

What did they do, integrate the periscope with the extended pylon?

The vents in the new windshield (you do know there is a new WS, right?) allow you to surface more quickly after diving. No talk of adding bow planes, AFAIK.

(you do know there is a new WS, right?)

I think I heard about it...you mean the breakaway one the Canuckians™ made or the one that The Cantankerous Contrarian Canuckian® never could see out of ?

Personally, I don't mind the look of the phenomena holes, er vents. It's the functionality that's the problem. I can see myself cruising down the river with the steering wheel in one hand with the other busy trying to stuff towels into the holes. :lol:

BTW, the bad batch of windshields came out of Canada Tongue.gif .

Defective Rlxi windshields from Canada.

If this doesn't bring Tom R back, nothing ever will.

See HRemmington

(you do know there is a new WS, right?)

I think I heard about it...you mean the breakaway one the Canuckians™ made or the one that The Cantankerous Contrarian Canuckian® never could see out of ?

Mr Rutat and RLXi windshields....

• 2 weeks later...
Personally, I don't mind the look of the phenomena holes, er vents. It's the functionality that's the problem. I can see myself cruising down the river with the steering wheel in one hand with the other busy trying to stuff towels into the holes. :lol:

I just laughed a little too loud in my office!

That is a funny image you just created.