Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacement Shift Knob - 09 VLX

14 minutes ago, justgary said:

@oldjeep and I talked about it and came to a very simple solution, which is to copy the @braindamage PO's solution and drill a hole in a rubber stopper.  You could actually use a wood dowel or anything that will fit in the hole.  Basically, just drill a 1/8" hole in the center and stick it onto the pin and you are done (OK, so if you really want the extra spring in place, you'll have to measure and get it right).  Glue the thing on if you need to so it won't slip off again.

Except that now that I drew the parts, It's not the end of the world to offer up the cottage industry.  The first question is, do you like your flush button how it is, or do you wish it stuck up just a bit proud of the knob (and with a chamfer)?  The second question is whether you guys would drive me daffy with special cap requests. 

Let me know what you think.  Obviously, "Your Name" is not the only possibility here, but infinite detail isn't going to happen... think line drawings with a line width of 0.010" and larger.  The only thing you won't get out of me is the Malibu logo.  I can ask TMC if it's OK to use their logo if you really want it (and who wouldn't)?  Also, materials at this point include decent wood, white acetal (delrin) and non-anodized aluminum.  If you make it worth my while, I can buy other materials.

LAdPUzR.jpg

This is a great example of why I love TMC.  Practical, simple, elegant, innovative, finished...you can get anything you want!  It's just like Alice's Restaurant!

:salute::werule::salute:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, justgary said:

@oldjeep and I talked about it and came to a very simple solution, which is to copy the @braindamage PO's solution and drill a hole in a rubber stopper.  You could actually use a wood dowel or anything that will fit in the hole.  Basically, just drill a 1/8" hole in the center and stick it onto the pin and you are done (OK, so if you really want the extra spring in place, you'll have to measure and get it right).  Glue the thing on if you need to so it won't slip off again.

Except that now that I drew the parts, It's not the end of the world to offer up the cottage industry.  The first question is, do you like your flush button how it is, or do you wish it stuck up just a bit proud of the knob (and with a chamfer)?  The second question is whether you guys would drive me daffy with special cap requests. 

Let me know what you think.  Obviously, "Your Name" is not the only possibility here, but infinite detail isn't going to happen... think line drawings with a line width of 0.010" and larger.  The only thing you won't get out of me is the Malibu logo.  I can ask TMC if it's OK to use their logo if you really want it (and who wouldn't)?  Also, materials at this point include decent wood, white acetal (delrin) and non-anodized aluminum.  If you make it worth my while, I can buy other materials.

LAdPUzR.jpg

either way or when you start making them, I will get one and paypal/Venmo you for your work and parts.  I might want "JGMT" on mine (JustGary made this)

No answers on the flush/proud question yet....

Another question I forgot to ask: roughly how deep do you have to push the button for it to actuate the detent?  Or better, what is the maximum depth you can push the button?

5 minutes ago, justgary said:

Another question I forgot to ask: roughly how deep do you have to push the button for it to actuate the detent?  Or better, what is the maximum depth you can push the button?

I like the flush.

2 hours ago, justgary said:

I'm sure all this plastic stuff is super consistent.  But on mine

Min release depth

IMAG2061.jpg.dc95fc5e9e3514594a3d23b5a51964c8.jpg

Max press depth

IMAG2060.jpg.caf2ca6c69c63e91fbe6b77862f0c29d.jpg

34 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

I'm sure all this plastic stuff is super consistent.  But on mine

Min release depth

IMAG2061.jpg.dc95fc5e9e3514594a3d23b5a51964c8.jpg

Max press depth

IMAG2060.jpg.caf2ca6c69c63e91fbe6b77862f0c29d.jpg

Perfect!  Thanks!

One more note - since I just noticed it.  The stock button does sit a little higher than the ball - like your second drawing.  You can see it in the first of the  micrometer pics.  Although you can probably tell that from the one you have and where the tabs let it reach the highest position.

Edited by oldjeep
3 hours ago, oldjeep said:

One more note - since I just noticed it.  The stock button does sit a little higher than the ball - like your second drawing.  You can see it in the first of the  micrometer pics.  Although you can probably tell that from the one you have and where the tabs let it reach the highest position.

Thanks.  It seems like having any words or design on the cap might be better as a "positive" instead of a "negative" engraving.

That said, I didn't see any useful comments about the cap design, so I'm now thinking of some checkering.  Basically anything but smooth will provide better texture under the thumb.  I'd really like some input on this.

Also, I do have a little brass rod lying around, so that's an option.  I don't have any stainless.  It's expensive (about $1.50 an inch) and more difficult to machine.

27 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

logo_sun.jpg

I have this in .psd if you need it.

Is that not a registered logo?  That's what's on the original button, and I was looking for someone to step up with some creative juices.  But that one would be pretty simple to do.

@Fish209, this is your show!  I mean, there's a whole 3/4" round canvas waiting for your brush!  Channel your inner Bob Ross (RIP).

On 4/24/2020 at 5:56 PM, justgary said:

Is that not a registered logo?  That's what's on the original button, and I was looking for someone to step up with some creative juices.  But that one would be pretty simple to do.

@Fish209, this is your show!  I mean, there's a whole 3/4" round canvas waiting for your brush!  Channel your inner Bob Ross (RIP).

Ok, I'll see what I can come up with that might be interesting to me :)

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

How about something like this? If this would work, I'll try to come up with a better quality version. I pieced it together using Gimp so the quality isn't that great (first time using Gimp).

Shift Knob Logo.png

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Fish209 said:

How about something like this? If this would work, I'll try to come up with a better quality version. I pieced it together using Gimp so the quality isn't that great (first time using Gimp).

Shift Knob Logo.png

Gimp is fantastic.  I use it a lot.  Which font did you use for the "m"?

3 minutes ago, justgary said:

More likely the other way around; i.e. Malibu using Elfin Foundry as their font.

That is what I meant - Malibu uses the Elfin Foundry version (or did) but the post appears to show a clone of that typeface.  The same for the Domed Numbers Malibu fonts -  close but not exact.

4 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

That is what I meant - Malibu uses the Elfin Foundry version (or did) but the post appears to show a clone of that typeface.  The same for the Domed Numbers Malibu fonts -  close but not exact.

But it'd be fine for one plastic "m"!

• Like 2