Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

COVID-19 related closures

Chrismoe

1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I'm guessing Nevada is going to be completely shut down shortly.

Hard to imagine how much more completely we could be shut down.  I suppose car repair shops, banks, and curbside pickup restaurants could be shut down... but it's not like there's a lot happening here right now.

Vegas does appear to be a nacent hotspot tho.

16 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Vegas does appear to be a nacent hotspot tho.

Yup - that is my point. In Canada, the Quebec winter carnival in February has led to the PQ having more than half the entire country's cases.  And climbing. Yikes!

1 hour ago, Fman said:

Dirty Delta water also kills the Covid 19 virus:)

I wonder how long they will leave it open, surely Governor Newsome wont let people have any fun this summer.  Even though boating is totally safe for social distancing.  He said today on the news you cant even walk by someone on a hiking trail.

Hi Fman,

Like you I anticipate Governor Newsom locking things down further and longer to include state lakes. Unless, we get noticed and make a case for why boating is a safe, social distancing activity. All the more reason we all need to reach out to out Governors and policy makers and let them know we are here and boating can be safer than hiking; you do not have to move around another boat like you have to move around another hiker in a single track trail! I plan to send emails and complete webforms to all agencies I can think of, every day. Left alone, we will certainly loose a big part of our summer so time to pile on.

Chris

Hi All,

In addition to the link to the Governor's web form to show your support for opening CA. state lakes, here is a link to do the same with CA. State Parks leadership:

[email protected]

Let's pile on!

TY,

Chris

8 hours ago, Fman said:

What about the California Delta? Is that also closed? That waterway might fall under different guidelines.

🤫Rumor has it. It is closed as well 😂

Honestly,  I have been told by the marina. Immediate family members only in the boat. And something about a max number of people in the boat. 

Edited by Sparky450
On 4/8/2020 at 8:54 AM, Chrismoe said:

Hi guys,

Yes, the delta is open and some private boat launches are open. Being honest, I was hoping to not put my boat in delta waters which are a mix of fresh and salt water. That said, I just may and then really hose down \ clean up my boat afterward. 

Wilster - where did you launch from and what open water did you boat in?

TY,

Chris

Whiskey Slough is where i launch, which is about 5 miles outside of Tracy, my buddy launched there on Saturday.  I can't speak for the other launches, but I would think that Lazy M would also be open.  These are all channel waterways so not super close to the open bay as you get out over to antioch so the water is not nearly as brackish.  By no means is it "fresh" water but it's not going to kill your boat.

16 minutes ago, wilster said:

Whiskey Slough is where i launch, which is about 5 miles outside of Tracy, my buddy launched there on Saturday.  I can't speak for the other launches, but I would think that Lazy M would also be open.  These are all channel waterways so not super close to the open bay as you get out over to antioch so the water is not nearly as brackish.  By no means is it "fresh" water but it's not going to kill your boat.

TY Wilster. One more question please: From Whiskey Slough, are there nearby waters to wake board and wkae surf?

Chris

Hey Crew,

I decided to start an online petition addressed to Ca. Governor Newsom. I would ask all of you, regardless of the state you live in, to please have a look at the petition and please consider signing it. Even if you live \ boat outside of California, states are all looking at each other when deciding whether to open or close lakes so you will be helping yourself and your fellow boaters if you sign. Link here:

https://www.change.org/p/governor-gavin-newsom-please-open-california-state-parks-to-boating

TY,

Chris

Edited by Chrismoe
spelling
29 minutes ago, Chrismoe said:

TY Wilster. One more question please: From Whiskey Slough, are there nearby waters to wake board and wkae surf?

Chris

Right outside whiskey slough you can ride. However it is a bit arrow and watch the shallows. About 5 min out you get to some channels that are a little wider.  And thus easier to ride. I haven’t been that way in a couple years. But you are probably going to have too look for some areas over 15’ deep. And watch for the shallow alarm to go off. I did see on Facebook that Ladd is closed on March. And have heard all city of Stockton launches are closed. 

Edited by Sparky450
Just now, Sparky450 said:

Right outside whiskey slough you can ride. However it is narrow and watch the shallows. About 5 min out you get to some channels that are a little wider.  And thus easier to ride. I haven’t been that way in a couple years. But you are probably going to have too look for some areas over 15’ deep. And watch for the shallow alarm to go off😁

TY Sparky450.

Chris

12 minutes ago, Sparky450 said:

Signed and shared on Facebook. And again  on a Facebook group I am part of. 

Awesome! TY Sparky450.

Chris

51 minutes ago, Chrismoe said:

Chris

for sure, wakeboarding is good in the slough as you head out and after about a mile or 2, you can go left into a wider channel (empire cut) and surf there as you'll be at 20ft+ along there.  at the end of that if you stay left there is a good calm water for some more wakeboarding.  

2 minutes ago, wilster said:

for sure, wakeboarding is good in the slough as you head out and after about a mile or 2, you can go left into a wider channel (empire cut) and surf there as you'll be at 20ft+ along there.  at the end of that if you stay left there is a good calm water for some more wakeboarding.  

TY Wilster!

Chris

18 minutes ago, Chrismoe said:

Hi Sparky450 and all,

Not sure why, but the URL changed. Link below:

https://www.change.org/p/governor-gavin-newsom-please-open-california-state-parks-to-boating

Chris

I posted a link about a meeting with fish and wildlife to discuss postponing fishing season in the hills. The meeting was yesterday morning and it got cancelled because of overwhelming response. And overwhelming the virtual  meeting  

Then I found another link five minutes later.  After that meeting got canceled our wonderful governor signed an order postponing it on his own without discussion from fish and wildlife  

13 minutes ago, Sparky450 said:

I posted a link about a meeting with fish and wildlife to discuss postponing fishing season in the hills. The meeting was yesterday morning and it got cancelled because of overwhelming response. And overwhelming the virtual  meeting  

Then I found another link five minutes later.  After that meeting got canceled our wonderful governor signed an order postponing it on his own without discussion from fish and wildlife  

Classic. Yes, saving lives and slowing the spread comes first. But, restarting the country's economic engine also matters. As does a return to normal - in some sense. It is about balance. It is about taking the time to make precise decisions not just cast a big net and walk away. If we get enough signatures on our petition the Governor has to formally repsond to use. Let's please push.

Chris

Edited by Chrismoe
  • Like 2

@Chrismoe

Thanks for pulling that petition together.  Unfortunately for us Governon Newsome is ultra paranoid of Covid.  He actually said on the news yesterday to avoid walking past people on trails outdoor, to turn around and go the other way.  How about use common sense!? It is getting a little crazy.

I think in CA we might be in for a rough summer, even though we all know boating would be totally safe for social distancing. 

1 hour ago, Fman said:

@Chrismoe

Thanks for pulling that petition together.  Unfortunately for us Governon Newsome is ultra paranoid of Covid.  He actually said on the news yesterday to avoid walking past people on trails outdoor, to turn around and go the other way.  How about use common sense!? It is getting a little crazy.

I think in CA we might be in for a rough summer, even though we all know boating would be totally safe for social distancing. 

Hi Fman,

Yea, our Governor is uber conservative with COVID-19. I get it, preventing the spred leads to saving lives. That is the priority. But again, I just think those around the Governor, most of whom I have written, need to inform this guy a bit about boating. I think for those of us in CA. our best hope will be that .MIL \ Army Crops \ Federal lakes will open before CA. state parks. So, Pine Flate Lake, etc., etc., etc.  Fingers crossed!

Take care,

Chris

Hey Crew,

Happy Easter everyone! 

Just a quick update and a (shameless) plea for more support. Our online petition asking the Governor's Office to reopn CA. State Parks and Lakes now has 214 signatures in just 2 days! Petition link here:

While that is great, I am hoping we can get to 500 and force the Governor to look our way. As a reminder, this is not just a California issue. Other states have simliar closures, and left alone, more states may also close lakes so we need everyone to please surf over to the petition, please sign it and please forward it if you can. 

TY all,

Chris

2 hours ago, audipwr1 said:

Should call the CA boat dealers if they don’t open the waterways those guys are screwed 

Hi audipwr1,

I actually emailed 5 differnt dealers all carrying different brands that I have gotten to know. And, I called my local dealer. I hope to be able to open the list if signers up tomorrow and see who has signed - just curiuos. 

I agree, if CA. lakes do not open in early May the dealers are going to have a tough time. Yeterday I spoke with my local dealership and things are tough for them; furloughs, very few clients, etc. It is pretty bad. Not as bad as someone losing their life to COVID or being ill but bad. Further, I think if boat sales in CA. go way that has to have an impact on the brands - so bad all around. Keeping a good thought and hoping we come out of this soon.

Chris