Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stay home orders and boating

onwi

On 4/2/2020 at 4:45 PM, theloungelife said:

This has been on my mind a lot.  My normal riding crew of 4 other guys all live in different houses.  I'm in my mid 30s, wife but no kids yet.  We've been super strict on distancing the past 3 weeks.  No one allowed in the house, avoiding public indoor air spaces, no take out food, washing and santizing in repetition etc.

I know one member of my crew has been very careful too.  Been thinking maybe his household and mine can form a trust pod.  It does help we're all transplants in our city and have no relatives we would be visiting or being visited by ever.

All this said, I'm in Utah and the state parks are closed to anyone that isn't a resident of the county the park in is.  There are no lakes in my country. :cry:

Seems like this season might be toast, unless they lift the state park rule.

What county are you in?

On 4/2/2020 at 7:35 PM, gregtay said:

Based on the current weather the inability to go boating hasn't been a huge issue.. but if the weather flips and we get some nice days it is going to be really tough not being out on the water.

Do you guys interpret WA's rule as meaning we can't go boating? I go out of Port of Ridgefield and right now on their website it says their boat ramp and paddle boat launch are both still open. I feel like if we practice distancing while at the ramp and only go out with immediate family then hitting the water would count at as the outdoor activities we've been told we're allowed to do (running, biking, etc). 

It's going to be 70 here on Thursday. I already told my boss I will be taking the day off from the home office to take the family boating.

3 hours ago, CharlieBeaU said:

Do you guys interpret WA's rule as meaning we can't go boating? I go out of Port of Ridgefield and right now on their website it says their boat ramp and paddle boat launch are both still open. I feel like if we practice distancing while at the ramp and only go out with immediate family then hitting the water would count at as the outdoor activities we've been told we're allowed to do (running, biking, etc). 

It's going to be 70 here on Thursday. I already told my boss I will be taking the day off from the home office to take the family boating.

There is no limitation on "boating" that I know of. Many ramps are closed as they are part of parks that are closed.. But nothing stopping you from boating if you can get on the water. And I'm not sure they can close federal waterways completely. 

• Like 1

We are in Northern California on Clear Lake which is approximately 2 ½ hours north of San Francisco.   The lake is shut down to all boating and recreational activities including paddle boarding and Kayaks until April 10th.  This date is expected to change to sometime in early May. 

19 hours ago, tvano said:

Michigander update:  I've heard from various sources that DNR is and has been standing at a variety of ramps to actively monitor and control social distancing.  If you show up with a bunch of friends to go fishing or recreational boating = $1,000 fine.  If you prove that you are all family household or live together (non family) you are free to launch and play.  A buddy tried to launch yesterday at Bolles Harbor, Lake Erie to go fishing but quickly re-routed when they noticed people were getting tickets.

1 minute ago, hawaiianstyln said:

Michigander update:  I've heard from various sources that DNR is and has been standing at a variety of ramps to actively monitor and control social distancing.  If you show up with a bunch of friends to go fishing or recreational boating = $1,000 fine.  If you prove that you are all family household or live together (non family) you are free to launch and play.  A buddy tried to launch yesterday at Bolles Harbor, Lake Erie to go fishing but quickly re-routed when they noticed people were getting tickets.

Seems reasonable, rather than shutting everything down and spoiling things for everyone

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
4 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

Totally fine by me. Follow the rules!

Im really bumming that I probably won’t be able to ski until this is all said any done but at least we can get out and enjoy the water/boat. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, SodaBay said:

We are in Northern California on Clear Lake which is approximately 2 ½ hours north of San Francisco.   The lake is shut down to all boating and recreational activities including paddle boarding and Kayaks until April 10th.  This date is expected to change to sometime in early May. 

Hi Sodabay,

I also live in CA and am searching for lake closure info. Can you please let me know where you read \ heard that Clear Lake will extend the closure until Mid-May?

TY,

Chris

21 hours ago, Hemmy said:

Now if she would just allow Tommy’s to open to get my boat out :help:.

they need to apply for a general contractor , landscaping, or plumbers lisc so they can open! 

• Like 2

We just went ice out last Thursday, and got the dock in Friday.  Thankfully I had room to store the boat in the garage this year, so was able to have it ready to go Sunday morning, and not have to wait for the storage facility like previous years.  Like OJ said, I'm pretty sure there'd be anarchy in Minnesota if they tried to full scale shut down boating.  But yea, keep non-household folks out of your boat, follow the rules, and they shouldn't have any reason to shut down the lakes.  I've got no problem with the end of the rope though (i.e. giving my neighbor a pull from his dock).

Thanks to the safer at home, I just got in from a quick lunch ski - good to have a wife that's a good driver.

Hi Chris, 

There has not been a formal response by the county to extend the date.  I have heard from several people it is being explored.   In the Bay Area, many schools have moved to online courses for the remainder of the year.   I truly hope it will not come to this, I just will not be surprised if it does.  I struggle with the balance between shelter in place and not being allowed to use ones boat with family you are sheltering with.  Apparently many people (mostly bass fisherman who are critical to the economy) from out of town were traveling to fish.  I find the majority of people I have encountered are taking this very seriously,  just not 100% bought into the boating restrictions.  Hope everyone stays healthy so we can all get back on the lake soon.  

martinarcher

Bummer there's only two of us in our household, I'd sure live to get out and ski.  I guess we could go for a cruise but if I trailer the boat to the lake the temptation to get in the water would be pretty bad.  :) 

MN governor just announced that the stay in place is extended until March 4th.  Boat ramps and most of the larger fishing piers appear to still be open based on the latest info.  Have not seen if they are going to allow boat service/storage to open back up.  There are supposed to be some tweaks to the last order, but nothing in writing that I have seen.  One of the groups lobbying has been the law care guys - seems like one guy in a truck full of chemicals is plenty of social distancing. (Edit, sounds like landscaping/golf course mowing can go back to work tomorrow under certain parameters)

Edited by oldjeep
14 hours ago, SodaBay said:

Hi Chris, 

There has not been a formal response by the county to extend the date.  I have heard from several people it is being explored.   In the Bay Area, many schools have moved to online courses for the remainder of the year.   I truly hope it will not come to this, I just will not be surprised if it does.  I struggle with the balance between shelter in place and not being allowed to use ones boat with family you are sheltering with.  Apparently many people (mostly bass fisherman who are critical to the economy) from out of town were traveling to fish.  I find the majority of people I have encountered are taking this very seriously,  just not 100% bought into the boating restrictions.  Hope everyone stays healthy so we can all get back on the lake soon.  

Hey SodaBay,

Understood. I too have not seen anything new to the flattenthecurve.org website. LIke you I struggle with supporting the shelter in place ordedr to keep us all safe and taking my family out on the boat. I realize it is easier, and likley safer, for the Governor to cast a wide net and close all 280 state parks but I think some more consideration needs to be applied here. I could be OK with an early May opening and even OK with some restrictions based on County, etc., but we need to know, and, the local businesses that depend on summer time recreational business to survive need to know. Staying silent is not the best way to go. The best thing all of us can do is write our Governor's - if we pile on, it will help get us noticed. For those in California, here is the link to send a letter to the Governor via a web form:

https://govapps.gov.ca.gov/gov40mail/

Chrs

Edited by Chrismoe
ahopkins22LSV
24 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Looks like the governor allowed an exemption now for boat service businesses.  So folks can get their service done and boats picked up from service/storage now.

For Minnesota? 

On 4/7/2020 at 9:12 AM, hawaiianstyln said:

My dad is the salesmen at a marina on/around Bay City. (I don't want to name just in case for whatever reason) He told me Saturday the State police were blockading the public launch and the DNR rolled down to the marinas' launch and ANYONE that had launched were getting the 1000$ ticket. From his understanding there was not any effort to determine if you were "mixing" company. Meaning if you were from the same household, it didn't matter. I don't know if it's been said here, but he was told it wasn't about boating, it was to keep people from the gas stations. How ridiculous. 

After all, if you pulled in with a sailboat, you're free to go. So it's reasonable to believe that it's because of fueling.