Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Skiing with Wedge Down

AlmostRetired

I am a brand new owner (Have not even taken possession yet) of a 21 VLX.  During the recent boat show I had a lengthy discussion about the Power Wedge and questioning the operation of it in the "Lift" mode for skiing.  As my wife hates any wake, the discussion with two different folks from an unnamed Dealership stated that the Wedge control on Malibu boats could be overridden when the alarm comes on at 26 MPH to force it to stay in the "Lift' mode for skiing above 26 MPH to help reduce the wake.  Reportedly, one of the dealership folks has skied this way for years.  Has anyone else out there tried this?

As the boat I am purchasing has the Wake Hull I was in a discussion with the Malibu Rep about reducing the wake for skiing and I stated that the Positive Lift position on the Wedge could not be utilized  similar to a Trim Tab on most IOs which started the discussion.  He then stated that it could be used in the same fashion by simply silencing the Alarm at 26 MPH and that one of the Malibu Reps skis that way all the time.  Again, probably not a major deal at 30-ish where my wife likes to ski but she does not like crossing big wakes so this would probably be the only time it would ever get used that way if it is even an option.  I will try to reach back out to the dealer again and see if I can get any specifics from them to add to this post.

If you want to board/surf and your wife wants to ski - maybe this is not the right boat for you?  You know who will win this battle, right?  ;)  A VTX is likely a better compromise.  Happy wife, happy life and all that...

Edited by Eagleboy99
Spelling
  • Like 2

I feel like I've seen this conversation here before about skiing with the wedge in lift mode and that helping.

But I agree with EB.  If your wife is a skier, find a boat with the diamond hull.  21 VLX (if that's your chosen boat) can be had with that hull.

Dealer showed me on a 23lsv and a 25lsv, shocking how little wake a 25lsv has in lift mode around 30ish.

Only problem is I gave up skiing when I got a 25.. ski has been in the shed untouched for years now.. 

Heard some dealer's relay the msg its ok within reason

Edited by The Hulk
  • Like 1
  • 6 months later...

As stated in my first post I was already committed to purchasing the 21 VLX at the time of that posting.  Now several months into ownership of the boat I have had the opportunity to try this out myself and indeed it works surprisingly well with just cancelling the Alarm when it pops up.  Admittedly as both my wife and I are now in our 60s the boat does not get a lot of use in this mode but it does work and works well and creates a really small wake around 30 where my wife likes to ski.  I love this boat for the surfing and the kids and grand-kids really enjoy the big wake for Boarding.

• Like 2

What speed does she usually ski at?

That will dictate the wake size as well. You can’t beat physics. After trading our vtx for a 23 lsv my days of 34mph skiing are over but that’s ok. Now it’s a recreational open water 25-28mph ski for fun with our emphasis on surfing. It’s a big bump but I’m not skiing a course so it’ll do. 

ahopkins22LSV
18 hours ago, SouthsideBoarder said:

What speed does she usually ski at?

That will dictate the wake size as well. You can’t beat physics. After trading our vtx for a 23 lsv my days of 34mph skiing are over but that’s ok. Now it’s a recreational open water 25-28mph ski for fun with our emphasis on surfing. It’s a big bump but I’m not skiing a course so it’ll do. 

Take a look at the new recreational skis HO and Radar are making these days. They look like a blast. I have thought about picking up an HO hovercraft for those days that aren't good enough to rip 34mph -28 off turns but I still want to ski!

3 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Take a look at the new recreational skis HO and Radar are making these days. They look like a blast. I have thought about picking up an HO hovercraft for those days that aren't good enough to rip 34mph -28 off turns but I still want to ski!

Will do. Thanks for the suggestion. 

We have the VLX with the diamond hull and the ski wake is pretty good.  We put 50% in the front tank.  It is not as good as the VTX, but it is not bad for the few times a year that people ski.  Most all time behind the boat is spent surfing these days.