Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Has anyone ever bought a boat without a demo ride?

shiftman

21 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

If a boat has that high of hours I would do one of two things. Water test it or take it to have a third party inspection done. 

700 is not "that high" of hours, at all.  If there is a problem with the boat it's not a result of just pure hours.  neglect or incident would be culprit.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, shiftman said:

Thanks. My concern is the length. 

V-drive or DD?  How big a lake?  How many people in your party? (On that, I see some of these boats seat up to 20???  Holy heck!  That is like everyone in our entire bay plus a dog)

Just bought a 2019 mxz 22 demo with 90 hours on it without a water test.  Few issues we are asking them to fix like a scratch in the gel coat and only the tower speakers work.  Only concern I have is that they did the 100hr service and the engine looks like it calls for 5-40 (I think, or 15-40) oil and they used Mobil 1 5w30. Which I would use in any GM LS motor, for some reason PCM doesn’t suggest this. 

9 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

V-drive or DD?  How big a lake?  How many people in your party? (On that, I see some of these boats seat up to 20???  Holy heck!  That is like everyone in our entire bay plus a dog)

V drive. Medium sized lake. 2-3 people usually. It's the ride that concerns me. Not the interior room.

"There's no replacement for hull displacement" to turn a phrase.  That said, a 20ft V-drive wake hull will do OK in 1-2 foot swells/chop.  Maybe not at full throttle though. A larger boat will do better.  But if you need one form bombing around in heavy water, get a 23 ft Cobalt I/O.  One of my friends has one and it handles crazy water with aplomb.

16 hours ago, Acs said:

Just bought a 2019 mxz 22 demo with 90 hours on it without a water test.  Few issues we are asking them to fix like a scratch in the gel coat and only the tower speakers work.  Only concern I have is that they did the 100hr service and the engine looks like it calls for 5-40 (I think, or 15-40) oil and they used Mobil 1 5w30. Which I would use in any GM LS motor, for some reason PCM doesn’t suggest this. 

The 15w40 is a heavier duty oil. my Cummins uses the same oil.. The boat motor sees far more work and loading than its automotive counterpart. 

On 11/17/2019 at 9:00 AM, carguy79ta said:

The 15w40 is a heavier duty oil. my Cummins uses the same oil.. The boat motor sees far more work and loading than its automotive counterpart. 

I have since learned that PCM sent a dealer memo earlier in the year that all LS blocks get 5w30.  I was running 5w40 in my cummins, and the boat will see more load than that truck ever did. Lol. 

13 hours ago, Acs said:

I have since learned that PCM sent a dealer memo earlier in the year that all LS blocks get 5w30.  I was running 5w40 in my cummins, and the boat will see more load than that truck ever did. Lol. 

Heard that...Cummins typically dont break a sweat..ever.  My pcm manual says 15w40. It is a 17 tho.

I bought both my boats without a demo.  My first one (1998 Sunsetter VLX) was bought during a factory tour.  We demoed a 97 but our dealer made us take a factory tour before purchasing it.  We saw the redesigned interior (first wrap around seating with the ugly table) and bought the new model.  We did, however, make the factory delete the table.  The second one (2016) we bought on reputation and our experience.  Both worked out flawlessly.  Lucky I guess....

Dave

I sat in one on the showroom floor of one dealer and ordered mine from another dealer back in '02. There weren't many around yet being the Rlxi was just introduced but I wanted to see one before ordering. Prices I got back then varied by $9000 from 4 dealers.

• 2 months later...

I went from my '13 VTX to an '18 23LSV with no demo.  Actually bought it from my local dealer with just the website pics.  (I had done a walkthrough on a different boat in the showroom).

Took a nautique GS22 out for a water test and sent the email on the LSV the next day.

IMO there are a few sure things... camerys, F150s, model 3s, wranglers, John Deere tractor, 23LSVs.  There's a reason some vehicles are the best selling in their class so the risk is minimal.

Hey Crew,

My first boat was a MC and I bought it without a demo. Speaking only for myself, that was a mistake. If I had demo'ed the boat I would have quickly realized it was not the boat for me. The boat was fine and performed as advertised but once on the water I realized I wanted more. And that is my point. The demo is not just to determine if the boat is sound but to also sit in the captain’s chair and drive the boat, push the boat, within reason, and make sure you like how it accelerates, stops and changes direction. Then, get behind the boat, weather permitting, and ski or wakeboard or surf. A surf test, again this is just me, is uber important because there are NO independent reviews of tow boats out there. If an independent comparison exists, please let me know how to find it. When I bought my second boat, a 23 LSV, I demo'ed it, to include getting in the water, and after nearly wearing my local Bu dealer out with questions and several rides using different wave settings, decided that I not only loved the boat but that even a newbie like me could adjust the wave for friends and family. I just bought an M240 and while the Internet was espousing it's greatness, I still wanted to water test the boat. Even though my dealer was offering me a great deal on my trade-in, even though my dealer was offering me a great price on the M240, trust me, I called around territories be damned, I still needed to get into the boat on the water. I drove the boat, semi-hard, tried the stereo with my i-phone, tried stern-turn, drove over to my slip and made 100% sure it would fit, easy fit, ran the boat thru some chop, etc. This was just a few weeks ago and the air \ water temps were very cold. So, when it came to the surf test, my dealer put a team member in a wet suit in the water for me. He was a good surfer, much better than me, so what I asked him to do was to stop shredding the wave, and just find the back-end of the pocket using several settings; do not pump back into the wave, just go back as far as he could and still be in the push. It was this part of the test that sold me. With me own eyes I was able to see the length, size and push of the wave. Finally, we also ran some fuel mileage tests using diacom. Because, I had heard or seen on YouTube horror stories about Malibu's with big motors, mine has the new 607 HP LT4, so my dealer and his service manager ran several tests, cruising, up on plane, hauling the mail at 41 MPH, full ballast - all 6 poly tanks full - and several wedge positions and provided me with the data. With this info, I realized I could afford to use the boat on weekends without visiting the marina's gas pump during the day! Finally, finally, in this thread a few members mentioned the importance of working with a great dealer. And I agree 100%. One of the best ways to get to know your dealer is out on the water acting like enthusiasts. Finally, finally, finally, I had made arrangements with my local Natique dealer to have a 2020 G23 out on the lake for me to try the same day. He knew I was trying to decide between the M240 and the G23, and, he knew the deal I was getting from my Bu dealer. We were set until the Friday before the Saturday water test. On Friday I received an email from the local Natique dealer telling me "there is no way we can come close to offering you the same trade-in amount for your 23 LSV so we will not be bringing a G23 out to the lake for you to test tomorrow". Weak IMO. I never told the Natique dealer he had to match my Bu dealer trade in offer, just bring the boat out and let's see try them side-by-side. Never heard back from the Natique dealer. Sorry for the loooooooong post and I hope this info helps. 

Chris

Edited by Chrismoe
spelling

I just ordered a 2020 25LSV.  I've never been on a 25LSV.  I've never seen a 25LSV in person.  I've never set foot in a Malibu dealership (ordered it at the boat show with no 25LSV there).  The closest dealer is 2.5 hours away on a lake I have no interest in riding.  I ended up actually buying it from a dealer that is 5 hours away that I'm sure I will never go to.  I've never ridden on any boat built by Malibu.  I don't personally know anyone who has ever owned a Malibu.  I just researched what I want and I'm realistic about what I want to do with the boat.  I expect it will be nice and know it will not be perfect.

I've been buying used boats off eBay and other similar scenarios for 20 years.  6 boats in total.  I never water tested one of them before purchase and I've had some great boats that I bought at great prices.  All of them had issues of one kind or another.  Because they are boats.

I live in a place with zero marine industry so I'm on my own for maintenance and repair.  I realize this has a lot of impact on my boat buying philosophy.  In my experience, the people who understand that a boat, no matter the age or brand or engine hours, will require repair and maintenance at a cost and frequency that is 10X more than a modern automobile are the people who are happy.  People who buy a boat and get upset that a windshield screw needs tightening once a year are generally not happy being a boat owner.  

Buy that boat without a water test if the size and features are what you want and it's a bargain.  It's gonna need some work of some kind or another.  Because it's a boat.

And to further illustrate the point: my brother in law wanted to buy a used I/O ski boat.  He's not a "handy" guy so he pays a mechanic to look over the boat.  He and mechanic do a water test.  Mechanics says he can't find anything wrong with it.  Runs great.  He buys the boat.  He takes it out three or four times and then blows a head gasket at some point.  I never heard the root cause but it probably overheated for some reason.  Probably a weak impeller.  Oil and water mix but he doesn't realize the rough running symptom is a serious issue.  Engine eventually grenades and is a total loss.  Moral of the story: he did everything right when buying the boat and still got screwed.

It's a gamble either way you look at it.  Unless you buy a running boat and immediately replace the raw water pump impeller anyway and do other basic maintenance that no one selling the boat is ever going to let you do till the check clears.  That's the kind of stuff I do and I think that's why I've had such good luck with boats.  Don't buy it and hope it doesn't have issues.  Buy it with the expectation that it will have issues and do the basic maintenance to try and minimize them.  Because it's a boat.

14 hours ago, Chrismoe said:

Hey Crew,

My first boat was a MC and I bought it without a demo. Speaking only for myself, that was a mistake. If I had demo'ed the boat I would have quickly realized it was not the boat for me. The boat was fine and performed as advertised but once on the water I realized I wanted more. And that is my point. The demo is not just to determine if the boat is sound but to also sit in the captain’s chair and drive the boat, push the boat, within reason, and make sure you like how it accelerates, stops and changes direction. Then, get behind the boat, weather permitting, and ski or wakeboard or surf. A surf test, again this is just me, is uber important because there are NO independent reviews of tow boats out there. If an independent comparison exists, please let me know how to find it. When I bought my second boat, a 23 LSV, I demo'ed it, to include getting in the water, and after nearly wearing my local Bu dealer out with questions and several rides using different wave settings, decided that I not only loved the boat but that even a newbie like me could adjust the wave for friends and family. I just bought an M240 and while the Internet was espousing it's greatness, I still wanted to water test the boat. Even though my dealer was offering me a great deal on my trade-in, even though my dealer was offering me a great price on the M240, trust me, I called around territories be damned, I still needed to get into the boat on the water. I drove the boat, semi-hard, tried the stereo with my i-phone, tried stern-turn, drove over to my slip and made 100% sure it would fit, easy fit, ran the boat thru some chop, etc. This was just a few weeks ago and the air \ water temps were very cold. So, when it came to the surf test, my dealer put a team member in a wet suit in the water for me. He was a good surfer, much better than me, so what I asked him to do was to stop shredding the wave, and just find the back-end of the pocket using several settings; do not pump back into the wave, just go back as far as he could and still be in the push. It was this part of the test that sold me. With me own eyes I was able to see the length, size and push of the wave. Finally, we also ran some fuel mileage tests using diacom. Because, I had heard or seen on YouTube horror stories about Malibu's with big motors, mine has the new 607 HP LT4, so my dealer and his service manager ran several tests, cruising, up on plane, hauling the mail at 41 MPH, full ballast - all 6 poly tanks full - and several wedge positions and provided me with the data. With this info, I realized I could afford to use the boat on weekends without visiting the marina's gas pump during the day! Finally, finally, in this thread a few members mentioned the importance of working with a great dealer. And I agree 100%. One of the best ways to get to know your dealer is out on the water acting like enthusiasts. Finally, finally, finally, I had made arrangements with my local Natique dealer to have a 2020 G23 out on the lake for me to try the same day. He knew I was trying to decide between the M240 and the G23, and, he knew the deal I was getting from my Bu dealer. We were set until the Friday before the Saturday water test. On Friday I received an email from the local Natique dealer telling me "there is no way we can come close to offering you the same trade-in amount for your 23 LSV so we will not be bringing a G23 out to the lake for you to test tomorrow". Weak IMO. I never told the Natique dealer he had to match my Bu dealer trade in offer, just bring the boat out and let's see try them side-by-side. Never heard back from the Natique dealer. Sorry for the loooooooong post and I hope this info helps. 

Chris

It sounds like we have the same Nautique dealer.  

If I were your sales guy, I would have been direct and told you the deal and let you decide.  Most guys in the M240/G23 price range have some flexibility on pricing if they thought they were getting more value at a higher price.  Without starting our usual winter fight about how to manage your finances, what I mean is that a guy that can spend 150K on a boat can usually spend 165K as well.  A guy who can spend 50K cannot always spend 55K.  It doesn't apply to every situation, but I think the principle is true.  In both cases, it is a 10% increase in price.  

1 hour ago, TallRedRider said:

It sounds like we have the same Nautique dealer.  

If I were your sales guy, I would have been direct and told you the deal and let you decide.  Most guys in the M240/G23 price range have some flexibility on pricing if they thought they were getting more value at a higher price.  Without starting our usual winter fight about how to manage your finances, what I mean is that a guy that can spend 150K on a boat can usually spend 165K as well.  A guy who can spend 50K cannot always spend 55K.  It doesn't apply to every situation, but I think the principle is true.  In both cases, it is a 10% increase in price.  

Hi Tallredrider,

I agree with your thinking. And, to be 100% honest, price was \ is a factor but I try to distinguish price from value. So, if the Natique dealer had just shown up, there was going to be room for discussion. He decided not to show up. In the end I am very happy with the M240 and very happy with my dealer. 

Take care,

Chris

I decided to just suck it up and demo... even though I’m going to have to pay for a winterization. Water and air temps will be 50 degrees though so not terrible. 

Bring out the wetsuit! 

• 3 weeks later...

I bought my new 19' 23lsv with no check ride.  That said, its a somewhat unique experience in the following ways: there are no other dealers of other brands within at least 3 hour drive.  So I was buying a Malibu if I wanted a new boat.  23 was in the sweet spot of what I was looking for, so I wasn't interested in comparing it a larger of smaller boat.  I rode in/behind several other boats to get an idea of them, and then spent some serious time researching, watching YouTube videos, etc.  By the time I was ready to make a purchase, I was telling the dealer more about the boat than they knew.

In your scenario, with a used boat, I would absolutely want a check ride.  Watch the forecast, find a sunny day, and get a full wet suit, you dont want to be thinking "I wish I would have taken a test ride" every time you are using the boat.

I've bought my last 2 bu's without a lake test... I have enough experience to know what problems to expect when checking out the boats and I run them on a fake-a-lake until their at least warmed up, run them in and out of gear on trailer momentarily to check function of transmission and v-drive, and assume I can fix most anything else that isn't visible. 

Edited by finalfinish
' apostrophe's's
1 hour ago, finalfinish said:

I've bought my last 2 bu's without a lake test... I have enough experience to know what problems to expect when checking out the boats and I run them on a fake-a-lake until their at least warmed up, run them in and out of gear on trailer momentarily to check function of transmission and v-drive, and assume I can fix most anything else that isn't visible. 

Wow only 2 posts in 6 years, Don't be so quite.

• Like 2