Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Custom Build Error (logo colour) 23 LSV

2020LSV23

4 minutes ago, 2020LSV23 said:

My dealer told me build slot is in December. How long do they usually take to build from peoples experience custom ordering?

2-3 days to build. 1-3 weeks later it will be at your dealership depending on how far you are from Loudon.

It also depends on how many other boats are heading to your dealership around the same time since each truck hauls 3 boats. My spray date was 12/14 last year and it showed up almost 5 weeks later, with the holidays in there too. 

Mine sprays on 12/3, and I'm guessing it will be here in early January.

1 hour ago, NWBU said:

It also depends on how many other boats are heading to your dealership around the same time since each truck hauls 3 boats. My spray date was 12/14 last year and it showed up almost 5 weeks later, with the holidays in there too. 

Mine sprays on 12/3, and I'm guessing it will be here in early January.

When you say "spray" you mean paint? Does your dealer tell you which day it gets sprayed?

19 minutes ago, 2020LSV23 said:

When you say "spray" you mean paint? Does your dealer tell you which day it gets sprayed?

Spray date is a term used because that's the day the molds are sprayed with fiberglass and your boat is born! It takes about 3-4 days total depending what time of day it is first started.  As of a year and a half ago Malibu spit out 19 completed boats per day (including Axis).  Yes, your dealer can tell you.

Edited by Wavemaker
corrected days to build
13 minutes ago, 2020LSV23 said:

Like @Wavemaker said above.  No paint involved at all.  The mold is polished and waxed, then sprayed with your gel coat colors.  Each color is masked by hand and then sprayed, which is why multiple colors or harder patterns cost more. 

The mold is then sprayed with a combination of resin and chopped glass fiber with a chop gun.  The chop is rolled by hand to remove air bubbles, then glass mat and roving are placed at key stress points and rolled in. 

After the resin cures enough, the new hull is floated from the mold and the build continues with hole drilling and stringer/engine mount insert placement.  The mold is returned to the line after inspection and cleaning. 

Ask for a factory tour near the date your boat will be completed, then take a road trip.  You will be impressed. 

As alluded to above, it depends on ability to ship.  My boat was completed, but it was the only one ready to ship to my dealer.  So it was delayed 2 weeks, until they could ship a full load of 3 boats across the country to my dealer.  It would have amplified the cost to ship the boats one at a time.  Some smaller dealerships might even have longer wait times if your boat is the first one completed. 

That’s a lot of boats but not surprising Malibu has grown significantly over the years as I researched the company and share price.

So Malibu water tests every boat? I guess that makes sense. Is the fibreglass spray the last thing done? Motor has been installed etc?

32 minutes ago, 2020LSV23 said:

That’s a lot of boats but not surprising Malibu has grown significantly over the years as I researched the company and share price.

So Malibu water tests every boat? I guess that makes sense. Is the fibreglass spray the last thing done? Motor has been installed etc?

• Like 2
ahopkins22LSV
10 hours ago, 2020LSV23 said:

My dealer just gave me unofficial spray date of December 5th. If that does become the spray date it only takes a few days for boat completion after this date?

Congrats! Ask your dealer to see if they can get you some pictures as it’s being made. It’s really cool to have some progression photos. Should be ready to ship about 7 days or so after your spray date. 

8 hours ago, 2020LSV23 said:

Watts Barr Lake is just down the street. In my case they sprayed the Indy Red Metallic first and then the graphite and ebony sections. The last part of assembly process is installing the rub rail. It gets pushed forward off of the line into the water test prep area for prop installation and few other prep checks that I saw. Then it is dropped onto the trailer and off to the lake.

ahopkins22LSV
34 minutes ago, wdr said:

Watts Barr Lake is just down the street. In my case they sprayed the Indy Red Metallic first and then the graphite and ebony sections. The last part of assembly process is installing the rub rail. It gets pushed forward off of the line into the water test prep area for prop installation and few other prep checks that I saw. Then it is dropped onto the trailer and off to the lake.

They actually have a launch right at the factory that they launch all at. They don’t even finish final prep and decals before they water test it. They just use work trailers too. Putting the boat on the final trailer is one of the last things they do. 

• Like 2