Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M235 and towing with 2019 Raptor

RCorsa

Raptor is not designed to tow , its off-road truck and more like a toy for enthusiasts. I have 2018 Raptor and it tows just ok something about 5-6k , also I have 2016 F150 crew cab and long bed witch is a 10 x better to tow then Raptor. Now for M240 ordered new 2020 F250 with 7.3L V8. 
Suspension in Raptor are soft and I say it’s dangerous to tow anything more then 5-6k.

4 hours ago, greg2222 said:

Raptor is not designed to tow , its off-road truck and more like a toy for enthusiasts. I have 2018 Raptor and it tows just ok something about 5-6k , also I have 2016 F150 crew cab and long bed witch is a 10 x better to tow then Raptor. Now for M240 ordered new 2020 F250 with 7.3L V8. 
Suspension in Raptor are soft and I say it’s dangerous to tow anything more then 5-6k.

Let me know once you try the 7.3.  I have been itching to pull the trigger for years on an HD truck and may actually do it soon.   Diesel is overkill for me, but tough to not want in these beats “just cuz”.  

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Let me know once you try the 7.3.  I have been itching to pull the trigger for years on an HD truck and may actually do it soon.   Diesel is overkill for me, but tough to not want in these beats “just cuz”.  

If you have ever driven a diesel. You will find out it is very hard to go back. My truck is diesel because I do the heavy pulling. All of the others in the fleet are gas. Except for an old 02 ford with a 7.3 in it. I don't mind driving it.  I hate driving the gas rigs. They just feel like dogs (even though they really aren't) It is just real hard to here that engine sound like it is working that hard. And pulling is a big difference.

• Like 2

Yeah I agree a diesel would be super nice. Pulled a friends 257 out of the water with a new 6.7L with a camper on the truck as well and it was effortless. Buying a new truck it would either be 1/2 ton or HD diesel, as currently run a HD gas. 

9 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

The new diesel HD trucks are so awesome it is ridiculous.  It would be very tough for me to go back to a gasser.  

I agree.  I just really wish they would produce a good diesel option in an SUV.  Going the duraburb option is nice, but quite pricey.  I saw where someone posted the tahoe/suburban getting a smaller diesel next year.  I'd be curious to see where that lands. 

I honestly can't imagine it would be all that expensive to put the current duramax platform or even the one used in the 2018's into a tahoe/suburban.  I'd guess there would be more market for it than they'd think.

1 hour ago, JeffK said:

I agree.  I just really wish they would produce a good diesel option in an SUV.  Going the duraburb option is nice, but quite pricey.  I saw where someone posted the tahoe/suburban getting a smaller diesel next year.  I'd be curious to see where that lands. 

I honestly can't imagine it would be all that expensive to put the current duramax platform or even the one used in the 2018's into a tahoe/suburban.  I'd guess there would be more market for it than they'd think.

Like the old Ford Excursions. Those things were like a school bus inside. But maybe drive like one too!😁

1 hour ago, JeffK said:

2021 suburbans are optional diesel 

19 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Truck delivery is scheduled for end one January 2020. I’ll upload some photos.

2 hours ago, JeffK said:

The current Burb is on the 1500 platform. To get the big Duramax you would have to go to a 2500. Pretty much different everything. It would be a huge investment for GM (or any other manufacturer) to do it. 

I’m not saying they shouldn’t, but they must think the market would be pretty small if they aren’t going that way. Big SUVs have huge margins for the manufacturer. 

39 minutes ago, RyanB said:

The current Burb is on the 1500 platform. To get the big Duramax you would have to go to a 2500. Pretty much different everything. It would be a huge investment for GM (or any other manufacturer) to do it. 

I’m not saying they shouldn’t, but they must think the market would be pretty small if they aren’t going that way. Big SUVs have huge margins for the manufacturer. 

With all the companies retrofitting the 2500 drivetrain into the 1500 platform today, I can't imagine it would be all that hard. 

22 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Yeah but it’s kinda weak sauce. I’d rather just stick with the 6.2L gasser that makes same torque with 200 more horsepower 

2920B76A-3F46-4A3F-90C5-1A6E56115A40.jpeg

for an for someone who never tows or only tows occasionally or light, I'd hope that this would give the perception of lower cost through higher mileage.  *perception* being the key, as the diesel will likely command a premium, require DEF, require more expensive maintenance, and potentially require more expensive fuel (depending on location / tax regime / etc).  If it doesn't do 27mpg unloaded tho....

• Like 2

I like the idea of the "baby" Duramax, but they are--for sure--not in the same league as the big Duramax.  It is tough to argue convincingly against the 6.2 compared to the baby Duramax given the considerations listed above.  Both would be good engines in a Suburban/Tahoe, though.     

1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

for an for someone who never tows or only tows occasionally or light, I'd hope that this would give the perception of lower cost through higher mileage.  *perception* being the key, as the diesel will likely command a premium, require DEF, require more expensive maintenance, and potentially require more expensive fuel (depending on location / tax regime / etc).  If it doesn't do 27mpg unloaded tho....

17 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

I like the idea of the "baby" Duramax, but they are--for sure--not in the same league as the big Duramax.  It is tough to argue convincingly against the 6.2 compared to the baby Duramax given the considerations listed above.  Both would be good engines in a Suburban/Tahoe, though.     

Exactly... perfectly fine engines for around-town types where MPG’s are king. For that I applaud GM. 

But since this is boat forum I would hazard a guess we all expect/hope for more in this platform. Put me down as somebody who has long dreamed about the return of a Suburban 2500 with the L5P  

Thy said, we’re not really full size SUV buyers anymore (we owned three prior gen GM SUV’s). With kids moving on we don’t need all the seats, which is why we switched to an HD truck. 

EDIT: I love that GM added rear independent suspension too. I bet these rigs ride even better than before. Anybody know if the mag ride suspension is adjustable now?

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 1
28 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Exactly... perfectly fine engines for around-town types where MPG’s are king. For that I applaud GM. 

But since this is boat forum I would hazard a guess we all expect/hope for more in this platform. Put me down as somebody who has long dreamed about the return of a Suburban 2500 with the L5P  

Thy said, we’re not really full size SUV buyers anymore (we owned three prior gen GM SUV’s). With kids moving on we don’t need all the seats, which is why we switched to an HD truck. 

EDIT: I love that GM added rear independent suspension too. I bet these rigs ride even better than before. Anybody know if the mag ride suspension is adjustable now?

On the Sierra Denali, they ditched the Mag Ride for an Adaptive Ride Control setup.  It's not magnetorheological anymore though and uses some sort of adaptive setup with position and velocity sensors at each corner.  It's supposed to be adjustable via the new "sport" drive setting on the new models.

Wonder if the SUVs will get the same.  I really like the MagRide in my Denali.  Handles quite a bit better than my dad's truck without it, especially towing.

While the 3.0 diesels aren’t specifically targeted at the towing market, they do make a pretty decent tow engine. 

I’ve used my Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel to tow my LSV. While I haven’t towed with it up the Rockies, it did just fine towing the (very) small hills on I76. No different than the 6.2 I owned. 

we just bought a Expedition Max this year. If they would have offered the 3.0, I’d have looked REALLY hard at it. But for me, it is a secondary tow vehicle. Primary might be different. 

• 1 year later...

So I see a recent thread about this.  As the OP I will say I towed the M235 with fuel for the past 2 years and it went great. Never had an issue.  I did add the Tibren stops which I assumed hoped. 

That said, I just sold the M235 for a 2022 m240 which I’m picking up tomorrow.  I think with a dry weight around 7200 and a trailer this raptor set up might not work as based on above comments/weights I bet this set up is closer to 10,000lbs.  

8 hours ago, RCorsa said:

So I see a recent thread about this.  As the OP I will say I towed the M235 with fuel for the past 2 years and it went great. Never had an issue.  I did add the Tibren stops which I assumed hoped. 

That said, I just sold the M235 for a 2022 m240 which I’m picking up tomorrow.  I think with a dry weight around 7200 and a trailer this raptor set up might not work as based on above comments/weights I bet this set up is closer to 10,000lbs.  

Time for a Super Duty.

Not sure a super duty will be needed but maybe.  I will say the tow capacity of the new  1/2 ton trucks in the last couple years is pretty real with some hitting nearly 12,000 max capacity. Of course brakes will be much better on the. 3/4. 

6 hours ago, RCorsa said:

Not sure a super duty will be needed but maybe.  I will say the tow capacity of the new  1/2 ton trucks in the last couple years is pretty real with some hitting nearly 12,000 max capacity. Of course brakes will be much better on the. 3/4. 

So will cooling. And stability. I don’t think most people know how much better a HD truck tows than a 1500 until they try one. There is a lot more to it than just an impressive tow rating. 

• Like 4

The new half-tons have made towing strides, but those towing strides get compromised when you add offroad suspension and big tires, for example.  And a lot of the debate does come down to white-knuckle tolerance; some have a lot more stomach for towing near, or at, or over capacity than others.  My tolerance seems to go down the older I get.  

Edited by jjackkrash
  • Like 3