Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 Axis A22

agarabaghi

Picked her up Friday, finally got to put her in the water and used it today.

Setup:

2020 A22 + PNP with larger rear bags + 1000lbs of lead scattered + 5 adults we normally surf wedge 4 for guys and 2 for girls.

Impressions: 

m5di - more power or more get up and go than the 409. Noticeable at wakeboard speeds with the extra weight we run the 409 would struggle the m5di just kinda goes. Its not night and day difference but for a base engine i personally feel it is an improvement. On day where i feel we would have burned 3/4 of tank we used about 1/2. I would have to check the hour meter, but it was prob somewhere between 6-7hours of surfing fully loaded. I dunno what it is, maybe cause it makes power at lower rpm, but i was almost worried about going to fast that i keep messing up pulling people out of the water today.... not gonna say its more powerful, just feels more powerful. Same prop as the 409. 2773?

hydraulic steering - not new for 2020 as a model year, but new for us. Best improvement so far. Steering is the same stiffness cruising, idling, surfing, wakeboarding. Steering wheel stays in place. Steering is not stiff if surfing one way, and not soft if steering the other way. Normally people comment on how the boat doesn't turn in one direction or another, but no one seemed to notice that today. 10/10 would order next boat and every other boat with it. 

new tower - its whatever, no one really noticed it being different. From driving, you can see through it better as the gaps are bigger than the little cut outs. There is more attention to detail, design. There is a foam pieces where a part rests (nice touch) clamps instead of knobs are standard.

Bimini - the straps are thicker and better that go around the tower, also i don't remember there being a line of fabric over the middle on the top of the 2019 Bimini. 

Steering wheel - nice touch, looks good and much better than the plastic one.

Windshield trim - its whatever, BUT my friend bashed his eye on the trim piece of the old one, and commented how he wouldn't hit his head on the new one .... so i guess that is a plus? Once again more attention to little things like decals on the windshield and trim on the parts that were bare before.

Decal - I like the 3D A, and the real badges on the surf gates, it just looks better but also not a huge difference.

Wakeboard wake - I dunno what the deal was with it today, but it was big. maybe we nailed the weight distribution but it looked bigger than my 2019, and ive seen double flips landed behind my 2019.

Bad Stuff:

Front bag still pops up seats but my 2019 would spray out the front at wakeboard speeds until we put a check valve in, could have just been the routing, the 2020 doesn't (at least for now).

Still no profiles. This is gonna be a thing that i think a lot of people are gonna want as all the competitor boats seem to be offering profiles or at least some sort of colored screen.

Overall super happy with it. 

here are some terrible pics:

THipHol.jpg

jTUb29I.jpg

IargTC9.jpgFMZAz7q.jpg

GSpXrZr.jpg

xTTFGNf.jpg

Edited by agarabaghi
  • Like 3

Great review! 

Is the surf wave in your 2020 different than the 2019 at all considering your comment about wakeboard wake?

Where all did you place the wake? Was that primarily for surf or wakeboard?

Do you have an A24 as well? I got confused from another post. Curious to know your thoughts on the two if so. Not sure why you would have an a22 and a24 though. 

nah surf wave is similar, but something bout the wakeboard wave today just felt better who knows. the hulls are the same.

mostly mid ship and in the nose. 

bud has the a24 and keeps it at the house sometimes.

19 minutes ago, formerathlete said:

Awesome update. Is there a reason you upgraded from your 2019 A22? Were you unhappy with that one?

Nope just switching every y it ears makes more sense to us right now .

Luv the base white with base black tower, saves a lot of money for real needs like power wedge 

did you choose interior or was that the default with the white boat? Looks great

even has the base saw blade rims , saving money is great , purpose of Axis

yea i picked the interior/ you can do any of the normal colors for the same price.

my boat sits on a lift all year round, maybe use the trailed 4 times (2 of them or getting and giving back the boat haha). 

• Like 1