Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

SkiSafe Insurance Members - Double Check Your Auto-Renewal

Pra4sno

On 2/6/2020 at 7:38 AM, wdr said:

No change for 2020 on my SkiSafe policy.

Still don't know how you got away with that this year? I have every possible discount, same State location, Year older boat. Talked to agent again today just Double checking and all they can suggest is Zip code area and limit, deductible differences.

You need to play the Lottery!

37042, $1000 disappearing deductible. I only have the boat insured for slightly over what I paid for it at $120k trailer at $5k. No freeze pro with no riders and just the standard SkiSafe boxes checked. I am 58 yrs old. My 2010 LSV was $348 a year the ‘19 went to $414 a year. I can’t complain Progressive thru USAA was almost double IIRC. USAA can’t be touched for all of my other stuff.

I wondered the same thing. I can’t remember if it was something I read or someone I talked to at the bank. I guess it helps to show the bigger picture or a potential trend. Not the same thing, but I know it will crush someone trying to get a security clearance.

23 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Why would credit worthiness affect insurance rates?  Just asking...

I would suspect that if you have bad credit you may be more likely to have an "accident" leading to a payoff that you could use to pay off some loans.

Edited by tbullard

Let clarify something before it goes into Gayle King mode. Please don’t think I was implying that @dalt1 had bad or poor credit. He is rolling in a new boat so obviously quite the opposite. I hope it didn’t come off that way, sorry if it did.

Also remember anything that effects car insurance rates is going to transfer to your boat. Accidents, speeding tickets etc can all cause your insurance to be higher. My wife who doesn't even drive the boat has a recent speeding ticket and my boat insurance went up. Go figure.

19 minutes ago, wdr said:

Let clarify something before it goes into Gayle King mode. Please don’t think I was implying that @dalt1 had bad or poor credit. He is rolling in a new boat so obviously quite the opposite. I hope it didn’t come off that way, sorry if it did.

And its paid for! I don't even know my credit score. Don't have anything on credit or loans.:)

1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Why would credit worthiness affect insurance rates?  Just asking...

There’s a credit adjusted insurance score metric in the US that factors into most non-commercial insurance rates. Lower credit scores mean higher insurance rates.

1 hour ago, wdr said:

37042, $1000 disappearing deductible. I only have the boat insured for slightly over what I paid for it at $120k trailer at $5k. No freeze pro with no riders and just the standard SkiSafe boxes checked. I am 58 yrs old. My 2010 LSV was $348 a year the ‘19 went to $414 a year. I can’t complain Progressive thru USAA was almost double IIRC. USAA can’t be touched for all of my other stuff.

To be honest, we are both very close in everything. Same age but I'm covered for $106,00 Zip 37167. Still a bit lower at $399 yr $1000 ded. doesn't mention disappearing.

Anyway, I'm still happy with my cost was just curious why some go up others don't.

Hey everyone, just got mine last night. 
Same price as last year. 
Michigan.  2010LSV. 

Although my auto went up 212 for the year. :rant:

Edited by Ryan1776
  • Like 1
On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 7:58 AM, Ryan1776 said:

Hey everyone, just got mine last night. 
Same price as last year. 
Michigan.  2010LSV. 

Although my auto went up 212 for the year. :rant:

Good to know, I will find out soon what mine is and post (i'm in So MI)

ahopkins22LSV
On 2/7/2020 at 3:07 PM, dalt1 said:

To be honest, we are both very close in everything. Same age but I'm covered for $106,00 Zip 37167. Still a bit lower at $399 yr $1000 ded. doesn't mention disappearing.

Anyway, I'm still happy with my cost was just curious why some go up others don't.

My guess is if we plotted where people lived and whether or not their rate went up, the people whose rates went up are in areas that have had crazy loss and claims lately. Either due to flooding or fires or whatever.

37 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

My guess is if we plotted where people lived and whether or not their rate went up, the people whose rates went up are in areas that have had crazy loss and claims lately. Either due to flooding or fires or whatever.

I'd be interested to find out.  Mine was a substantial increase and when I called, they apologized, but said that because of the number of claims, they had to raise rates.

15 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

15 hours ago, hunter77ah said:

I'd be interested to find out.  Mine was a substantial increase and when I called, they apologized, but said that because of the number of claims, they had to raise rates.

I didn't look THAT close at who's rates went up, but I'd also bet there is a year cut off too. Meaning people with newer than say 14 might have had a larger bump. :unsure:

17 hours ago, hawaiianstyln said:

Good to know, I will find out soon what mine is and post (i'm in So MI)

You'll be another good piece of the information. Same state and pretty much same year boat. 

• Like 1

It must be partly zip codes on the amount of increases. I also know  for sure that credit plays some part, sometimes a large part (there is different scoring system that insurance companies use, they don't need your SS# or approval to access it, just name, DOB and address so many people do not know it plays into their rate). In later 2018 after State Farm keep giving me increases on home/vehicles, going thru a broker I found a company who will only insure people with exceptional credit and no claim/ticket history, etc.... For vehicles and homeowners policies I was able to get my already decent rates cut almost in half by switching to this company, it also includes a lot of extra "perks" in the coverage that you normally pay extra for, especially for my homeowners. BUT, you either fall into their parameters or not, there is no in-between.... I have a daughter about to get her drivers license and due to that fact ONLY.... my rates would all go up a lot (not just her added premium for teenage driver, the entire policy increases significantly) cause I would not longer fit their "perfect model" so I will have to switch as soon as I add her onto policy. I hear USAA is the best average rates when it comes to teen drivers but best I have seen so far are Progressive quotes. On another note, my vehicles premiums DID increase this year approx 10% even tho zero accidents/tickets, etc and my FICO8 credit is 815+.

Anyway, on the boat I have a 2014 and have had SkiSafe since 2018. Agreed value of $80k boat & $5k on trailer. I have had freeze coverage, 12 month policy with no layup, $300k liability, $2500 personal property and $1k disappearing deductible. (The "discounts" they list: Claims free/Safety course certificate/online). For 2018 & 2019 the premium stayed flat at $554. My upcoming March 2020 renewal with policy details staying the same was sent to me @ $567 so slight increase of $13 (NC zip - 28037). However I decided to get a separate SkiSafe quote that just changed to a 4 month layup (12/01 - 04/01) since I rarely get out after Thanksgiving and don't start going out on the regular till approx middle of April. All other coverages apply during layup except having the boat on the water. They DID say that even if you have the layup period, for no extra charge you can call them and get the boat covered to take it out for a specified "week" 2 different times in a policy period and they will email you an endorsement covering the boat during that specific time. Since adding the 4 month layup reduced the price $98 and brought premium down too $469.... I decided to do that for 2020. I did not price BOATUS this year, last time I compared the 2 companies in 2018, for some reason BOATUS was about 35% higher at around $800 and Progressive was about the same.

I got a strange call a couple months ago from SkiSafe asking me where I store our boat.  I just recieved my renewal and it has also went up from last year.   I'll have to give them a call and figure out the reason for the increase. 

• 2 weeks later...

Holy Smokes! Progressive quoted me $2,200 for an $86,000 2016 25 LSV. Ski Safe provided slightly better coverage (higher medical, skier coverage, listed trailer coverage) for $440 per year!!!

I told them I only learned about them from this very thread about people complaining about the renewal, which he said they corrected. 

So funny I ended up with an insurance carrier through an online forum of people complaining about that carrier! Saved me $1,760 per year! 

:werule::werule::werule:

5 hours ago, Raleigh said:

I told them I only learned about them from this very thread about people complaining about the renewal, which he said they corrected. 

Wonder what he meant by "they corrected"?  Guess next year, I will have to get another quote from them to see if it changed back to what it was before the increase they quoted me.

7 hours ago, jwl019 said:

Wonder what he meant by "they corrected"?  Guess next year, I will have to get another quote from them to see if it changed back to what it was before the increase they quoted me.

Yeah, I agree. @Raleigh did he give any further information about that? 

Maybe worthwhile for others to call back in? 

12 hours ago, Raleigh said:

Holy Smokes! Progressive quoted me $2,200 for an $86,000 2016 25 LSV. Ski Safe provided slightly better coverage (higher medical, skier coverage, listed trailer coverage) for $440 per year!!!

So funny I ended up with an insurance carrier through an online forum of people complaining about that carrier! Saved me $1,760 per year! 

:werule::werule::werule:

I also learned about SkiSafe from here, but not from this thread! lol  Saved me about a grand, not nearly as good as your 1700! 

• Like 3