Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M24

tn_rider

45 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

Don't worry.  Soon we will have negative interest rates and banks will be paying YOU to "buy" these boats.  You get an M24, you get an M24, you get an M24,  and you get an M24.  M24s for all!!!!!

In all seriousness, I think this is a brilliant move by Malibu.  To quote my great friend @IXFE "why does Wendy's have a triple cheeseburger?  To sell more doubles".

25 LSV is a "bargain" compared to the M24

I agree 1,000% with this.  

I remain eager to see details, however.....

56 minutes ago, bamaboy said:

Don't worry.  Soon we will have negative interest rates and banks will be paying YOU to "buy" these boats.  You get an M24, you get an M24, you get an M24,  and you get an M24.  M24s for all!!!!!

In all seriousness, I think this is a brilliant move by Malibu.  To quote my great friend @IXFE "why does Wendy's have a triple cheeseburger?  To sell more doubles".

Denmark has negative mortgages so... negative interest rate boat loans here we come! haha 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Slayer said:

I agree 1,000% with this.  .

Double agree here.  How many G23 & G25's do they sell again?  I can imagine MB says it wants some of that share, too.  Can't wait to see it!

I think it is also a great idea to use this boat to push technology and innovation and then pass those improvements down the rest of the line in 2-3 years, like race cars do for retail cars.

3 hours ago, bamaboy said:

Totally agree.  I REALLY liked the M235 not for the bling, but because it packed so much punch in terms of displacement, but was a foot or two shorter than the next best thing in those 24' and 25' boats.  I'm in a 22.5' boat now and it's big enough inside, but another foot would be cool and some more room in the bow even better.  My thought was I could get another foot out of my boat dock.  More than that and I'd be out some good money to make the dock bigger if the river authority would even let me.  Probably not a bad project anyways to do sometime.  But just another item to add to the bottom line for an upgrade.  I felt like the M235 was a boat filling a hole in the portfolio, but was priced too high to be obtainable.  Shame really.  An Axis version of that hull would be interesting.

Without some odd restriction like I was trying to meet in length, I totally see being wowed by the M235 at the dealer, then the price, then shuffling to a 24 MXZ or 25LSV for similar performance at a better price.

But hopefully the 23 MXZ fills that same niche I found attractive.  Not as big as a 24' or 25', but with some real punch and a bigger bow than a 23SLV. 

Do the forums stop any photos appearing of the new boats , It amazes me how both The M240 and Nautiques new surf boat haven't had any leaked photos . I guess we are going to have to wait till next month to see both these new boats, I wonder who will  launch first.

3 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

This forum doesn’t as it isn’t ran by Malibu.  However, most folks in the know aren’t going to post the photos so as not to ruin relationships and getting insider info early each year.  

Exactly this 

On 9/11/2019 at 12:09 PM, Slurpee said:

Yeah. That blows my mind.  We can build that exact stereo and it'll sound WAY better, have better DSPs, and it'll be close to half that price, and that's at retail prices.  Maybe keep the RGB controller for kicks, but after you use it a few times you'd just set one color anyways and forget about it.  Just an OTS controller can manage that. But like you said, if you're tossing that much money at a boat, then what's a little more?  I can't wait to ride in one! 

no you cant. You are forget about all the trim / speaker placements / wiring / cut outs in the hull. its not just gear that in that price. 

14 minutes ago, agarabaghi said:

no you cant. You are forget about all the trim / speaker placements / wiring / cut outs in the hull. its not just gear that in that price. 

Yes. You can. I have many times. Materials for everything from blocks to breakers to cables are about $500-$700. There is no trim except the sub and the amp board. Wood, glue, carpet, call it another $400. Mostly it’s time. And my time to tweak my boat is free. The question is Can you come up with $10,000 in time? At $150/hr of shop time for a rate. That’s 8 man days of labor to put speakers where they were designed to go and run amps and wires in places made for them by design. 

1 hour ago, Slurpee said:

Yes. You can. I have many times. Materials for everything from blocks to breakers to cables are about $500-$700. There is no trim except the sub and the amp board. Wood, glue, carpet, call it another $400. Mostly it’s time. And my time to tweak my boat is free. The question is Can you come up with $10,000 in time? At $150/hr of shop time for a rate. That’s 8 man days of labor to put speakers where they were designed to go and run amps and wires in places made for them by design. 

Totally agree with you Slurp... I have also built many "stereo delete" boats and never spent anywhere near what the factory charges for a vastly inferior system/sound.  Yes, my labor is "free" also because I actually enjoy the process (most of the time).  

The numbers you're posting for blocks, breakers, cables, etc. are conservative too.  You've got aprox. $1,000 in extras.  I buy nice stuff and never spend close to that much.  Building an amp rack isn't rocket science either.  The hardest part for most folks is probably the sub enclosure, if you build your own.  I can whip out a 1.125 sealed box, custom fit to the new two-piece Malibus in a couple of hours. Prefab box simplifies the process and is still vastly superior to the factory enclosure, but I haven't found one that fits under the new helm.  

@IXFE I agree. I was very conservative. I usually spend about $500 on stuff. I was thinking x2 for shop mark up/waste/whatever. And my numbers also included a new head unit, remote, and two DSPs. Significant improvement on stock.

Last time Ronnie and I cut a subwoofer box it was a custom ported odd shape. Took maybe 6 hours to cut, assemble, finish, seal, and install. Designing it took some time. Maybe another 6 hours of cad, simulation, measuring 5 or 6 times, and just plane staring at the hole. Lol. 

2 hours ago, Slurpee said:

When you see this you may understand. Most boats have standard cut outs for speakers, standard placement. This is way more custom. Not saying its worth what they say, but it would take some serious fabrication skills to duplicate.

Also, I just saw a build sheet our Sales manager did for a customer, $291k. :shocked:

Edited by COOP
  • Like 2
11 minutes ago, COOP said:

When you see this you may understand. Most boats have standard cut outs for speakers, standard placement. This is way more custom. Not saying its worth what they say, but it would take some serious fabrication skills to duplicate.

Also, I just saw a build sheet our Sales manager did for a customer, $291k. :shocked:

Wow.  Well, it's a new technology platform.  Early adopters have to buy in and help offset all the NRE.  A lot of the M235 features and concepts made it down into the other lines over a couple years.

You have a point though @COOP.  We're talking about something most of us haven't seen yet for sure.  So it's all hypothetical.  The actual line item cost question is that when a stereo delete is ordered, what actually changes in the boat?  Usually they just don't drill the holes, put in the equipment, and lately don't run the wires.  Putting them in yourself doesn't require any fabrication skills to use the mounts.  Now if every speaker is in some kind of modular enclosure that does some nice beam-forming unique to it's position, then sure.  Something like that under the windshield would be really nice.  I think Nautique does that.  Making productive use of their helm to have a built in ported Sub enclosure that is glassed in would be interesting and worth a double punch of cost.  A put off for some of us that like to pick that one item if nothing else though perhaps.  If they're also putting some automotive style mesh or transparent sound trim over the speakers to hide them, then that's a cost.  Anyways, can't wait to see.  For that much money I'm really eager to see what neat ideas they've implemented.

@COOP @Slurpee

They actually DO drill the holes.  The only speaker holes I've ever had to cut were in the walkway.  For some reason, they don't cut those holes.  But all the rest are cut for you.  Anyway, it's kind of a moot point since Malibu is moving away from walk thru speakers. 

There's even speaker wire in there.  Whether you use it or not is another issue (I like to run my own).