Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M24

tn_rider

1 hour ago, carguy79ta said:

Any of the modern diesel HD trucks can easily handle way more than the heaviest wakeboat weight. As far as over width, you can get a permit that lasts a year. Dont know how much, but for 9' wide, and under DOT wt req. It would prolly be affordable for us who have 100k+ boats. 

California is a lot different than other states. If you are pulling a trailer over 70 mph, any trailer, it is a misdemeanor 2 point ticket.  No traffic school. And who wants to deal with the DOT, CHP to pull the boat every weekend. It would no longer be fun to go.

2 hours ago, carguy79ta said:

As far as over width, you can get a permit that lasts a year. Dont know how much, but for 9' wide, and under DOT wt req. It would prolly be affordable for us who have 100k+ boats. 

That depends though.....

Most states don’t allow towing over width on weekends, poor weather, or after dusk. A couple states require CDL for overwidth. Some states don’t allow blanket permits. 

On the flip side, a couple states have an exclusion for boats under 10’ wide on state highways.

One other thing you gotta think about...... a M240 is rolling on triple 4K axles (As far as I was told), and if you are towing that with a F350/3500/etc.,...... some specs will put you over CDL requirement, say nothing about the notion of a 27-28’ boat. It doesn’t matter what the rig actually weighs. If it’s GCWR is over 26k, it’s applicable. I can also tell you that the common “I am not commercial, I am towing my own boat” is not likely to matter. You can dig way down into the federal regulations and find that it doesn’t really matter, and that the DOT officer is likely to fine you, and is within the regulations to do so.

Long story short- it greatly depends on the state regs. But the CDL GCWR regs are federal, and apply in all states.

8 hours ago, robbieg247 said:

I could store 4 surf boards under my seats . The m235 had more storage than any other Malibu . My buddy bought a 19 25 lsv and after riding behind my m said he bought the wrong boat . The g 23 has. Nothing on the m series that is why they built the paragon. 

The back lockers in the m235 are tiny, might as well have pnp bags in there.  I can also fit 4 surf boards and then some under the seats of my 25, plus still have probably twice the storage the m235 has.  The m235 had a surprisingly lack of storage compared to other similar models.  They didn't build the paragon to compete with the m235, for that to be the case the m235 would have had to had really eaten into their sales.  The g23 far outsells the m235, and fit and finish is hands down much much better.  I think the m235 was a huge malibu mistake that made no sense.  It's an over priced boat that doesn't do anything better than other models in the lineup.

I have zero idea how the m240 does, hopefully they fixed the storage issues, and it actually is a leg up.  It better be for the ridiculous price tag

• Like 2

Showed a friend of mine the M240 yesterday.  He was underwhelmed.  He can't wrap his head around why they are so expensive.  He has a Cobalt R7 w/ the forward drive and a surf package.  50+ MPH, tons of storage, a bathroom and a larger hull -- and it's significantly cheaper.  Of course you're giving up some of the surfing quality but I don't think that matters to most weekend warriors.   

He also asked me what it would offer over his Van Dutch 30.  There he does have a point -- that boat weighs 11,000lbs, has twin diesels and a cabin.  I'm not saying its an apples to apples comparison but at some point you need to look at what your $250-300k buys you and wonder why you get so little.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Fffrank said:

Showed a friend of mine the M240 yesterday.  He was underwhelmed.  He can't wrap his head around why they are so expensive.  He has a Cobalt R7 w/ the forward drive and a surf package.  50+ MPH, tons of storage, a bathroom and a larger hull -- and it's significantly cheaper.  Of course you're giving up some of the surfing quality but I don't think that matters to most weekend warriors.   

He also asked me what it would offer over his Van Dutch 30.  There he does have a point -- that boat weighs 11,000lbs, has twin diesels and a cabin.  I'm not saying its an apples to apples comparison but at some point you need to look at what your $250-300k buys you and wonder why you get so little.

Can I order a Van Dutch 30 as a Skittles boat, or even any color but white?  It's quite a bit of labor to mask and spray those colors.

1 hour ago, Fffrank said:

What does that Cobalt run out the door?   I demo'd one (I think it was the R5 though).  It's a nice boat for sure but the cabin was underwhelming for both me and my buddy who is actually in the market.  The surf wave was surprisingly good.    The Cobalt drivetrain was clunky going in and out of gear, lack of cupholders and general interior conveniences not on par with newer Malibu's, trash can and cooler access was meh, stereo not on par with Malibu, etc.   Now, that doesn't mean it isn't a nice boat - cool bow seating configuration, walk through transom, etc.    I don't know what the price delta is but would like to know, and given that I think you could quickly discern the differences and "value" of each.  I get the sentiment of figuring out what $200K or more gets you, but that to me seems to be boating in general right now - lots of $100K pontoons out there and $500K and up cruisers and go-fast boats.   

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

What does that Cobalt run out the door?  

$180k MSRP for all the boxes ticked -- I expect similar discounts to what we see on the wakeboard side of things.  

22 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

What does that Cobalt run out the door?   

Was thinking the same.  That R7 surf has to come close to $170 - 190k.  We have half this thread talking about "I don't get the price."  I'll take it they did their home work that there is a market at this price point.

2 hours ago, Fffrank said:

$180k MSRP for all the boxes ticked -- I expect similar discounts to what we see on the wakeboard side of things.  

R7 Surf MSRP starts at more than 180k, before you check any boxes.....

With all boxes checked, MSRP is well over 230k by the time you include the trailer. You’ll be paying about 180k for a loaded R7 after negotiations.

So..... I don’t think it is safe to assume that the R7 is a better value than something like a 25LSV, Ri257, X26, or other similarly sized inboard.

Edited by TenTwentyOne
2 hours ago, Five Cent Worth said:

Was thinking the same.  That R7 surf has to come close to $170 - 190k.  We have half this thread talking about "I don't get the price."  I'll take it they did their home work that there is a market at this price point.

I think others have said it, there is a small market segment, but it's a good way to sell other cheaper models also.  We are starting to edge towards the price points of off shore boats like nor-techs  and midnight express boats, that actually make more sense at their price point.  I just can't see buying a 250k surf boat ever.  Makes zero sense to me.  

10 minutes ago, TenTwentyOne said:

R7 Surf MSRP starts at more than 180k, before you check any boxes.....

With all boxes checked, MSRP is well over 230k by the time you include the trailer. You’ll be paying about 180k for a loaded R7 after negotiations.

So..... I don’t think it is safe to assume that the R7 is a better value than something like a 25LSV, Ri257, X26, or other similarly sized inboard.

At 180k out the door I'd take all those boats over it, but I think 180k is much better than the paragon and m240.  I'm getting to the point where surf boats are out pricing my want to get new ones.  Love my boat now, and I'll just do upgrades to it until I decide to buy something I can do pokers tours with once I'm ni my 50s

Edited by CJAY
8 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

California is a lot different than other states. If you are pulling a trailer over 70 mph, any trailer, it is a misdemeanor 2 point ticket.  No traffic school. And who wants to deal with the DOT, CHP to pull the boat every weekend. It would no longer be fun to go.

ppl still wanna live in the nanny state? ha

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Fffrank said:

oh a van Dutch my dream....wonder how it surfs ha 

Just now, The Hulk said:

oh a van Dutch my dream....wonder how it surfs ha 

No ballast but it's heavy af and has tabs (plus you can adjust the motors throttles independently.)  We've surfed it a lot.  It's a pig.   There are some videos on youtube of someone surfing one in either Ibiza or Monaco.  

9 hours ago, CJAY said:

The back lockers in the m235 are tiny, might as well have pnp bags in there.  I can also fit 4 surf boards and then some under the seats of my 25, plus still have probably twice the storage the m235 has.  The m235 had a surprisingly lack of storage compared to other similar models.  They didn't build the paragon to compete with the m235, for that to be the case the m235 would have had to had really eaten into their sales.  The g23 far outsells the m235, and fit and finish is hands down much much better.  I think the m235 was a huge malibu mistake that made no sense.  It's an over priced boat that doesn't do anything better than other models in the lineup.

I have zero idea how the m240 does, hopefully they fixed the storage issues, and it actually is a leg up.  It better be for the ridiculous price tag

Opinions are like well you know everyone has one and your entitled to yours . The m235 outsold expectations per folks in Malibu and yes the paragon 100 percent was built to compete with the m series Malibu and Pavati . The m seriously is a pretty large step up from the lsv series but the 25 lsv is the second best surf boat . I would hope the 25 has comparable storage as it is 1.5 feet longer . 

14 minutes ago, robbieg247 said:

Opinions are like well you know everyone has one and your entitled to yours . The m235 outsold expectations per folks in Malibu and yes the paragon 100 percent was built to compete with the m series Malibu and Pavati . The m seriously is a pretty large step up from the lsv series but the 25 lsv is the second best surf boat . I would hope the 25 has comparable storage as it is 1.5 feet longer . 

I am not a hater but doubt the M235 outsold expectations considering it has now been discontinued 3 years after launch. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Fffrank said:

No ballast but it's heavy af and has tabs (plus you can adjust the motors throttles independently.)  We've surfed it a lot.  It's a pig.   There are some videos on youtube of someone surfing one in either Ibiza or Monaco.  

thought it wa the 45 footer on YouTube I saw a while back, 

9 hours ago, hethj7 said:

I am not a hater but doubt the M235 outsold expectations considering it has now been discontinued 3 years after launch. 

didnt the 25 get one of the quickest revamps in Malibu history? 

10 hours ago, hethj7 said:

they made 16’s, 17’s, 18’s 🤔 didn’t they make 19’s?  I’m not good with common core but I added that several different ways. And it’s always 4 years  😁 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 2

you think for a cool $1m vandutch can throw some surf tabs on the 30 or 40 model? ha 

hopping that colbalt/fomula surf series start to come along, the problem is many of these day boats dont have much "daytime" seating capacity in the play pin area. lots of bow and trans areas compared to the wake boats. so while rated for high capacity of ppl they dont fit those numbers well. you at least get a LOT of fiberglass for the money though!

the M240 has some great features but still looks way too small compared to the 25,. i'm not complaining about high end here but the HIT on $ folks are going to take on the M240 and Paragon are going to be nuts, just look at some slightly used Pavaiti's .... OUCH!!!

to some folks it doesnt matter but getting into these super high price ranges it maaaay just start to matter a bit more. and as mentioned you can start looking at small surfable yachts in these price ranges. 

IMO i think some of these high end models are for pushing the design envelopes and paying for engineering and R&D, if some new feature is a hit then you apply it to your other models and produce it in scale or "find out" how to produce it cheaper and apply it across the entire line. Just like in cars high end model features often hit economy models a few years later. I applaud the boating companies for doing this as it pushes the envelope of our industry. 

17 hours ago, CJAY said:

I think others have said it, there is a small market segment, but it's a good way to sell other cheaper models also.  We are starting to edge towards the price points of off shore boats like nor-techs  and midnight express boats, that actually make more sense at their price point.  I just can't see buying a 250k surf boat ever.  Makes zero sense to me.  

Your point is valid.  Doesn't make much sense to me either.  But, I am at the top end of my budget with a 23 LSV so not sure I am a good data point.  Guys with this type of coin usually have a few boats and are usually pretty well off.

That said, I can't find any Nor-tech's, Sunsations, Midnight Expresses, etc for less than $200k used let alone new.  Man, are they sweet, too!   

m235 wakeboards better than any of the malibu line ups.

but wakeboarding doesnt sell many boats, so now we have the m240 and the paragon and the x26.... big surf boats.