Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Add on boarding ladder help?

MustGoFast

On 4/18/2020 at 8:56 AM, dalt1 said:

Could you have set the ladder back under the platform so it doesn't stick past the rear edge of the platform? Was that a need for proper ladder operation?image.thumb.png.fa1626b3486b2a8ae99e6d4ebd8be5de.png

Yes, I could have installed it back under the swim deck another couple inches,  it would not interfere with the wedge mount bracket. I will add, that I’m glad I did not move it back any further, because I just fabricated a stainless steel mandrel bent exhaust system this winter and it just barely touches the exhaust mounting bracket that bolts to the top of the wedge bracket. If you purchase any FAE system, you will have the same issue.

1 hour ago, Catman said:

Yes, I could have installed it back under the swim deck another couple inches,  it would not interfere with the wedge mount bracket. I will add, that I’m glad I did not move it back any further, because I just fabricated a stainless steel mandrel bent exhaust system this winter and it just barely touches the exhaust mounting bracket that bolts to the top of the wedge bracket. If you purchase any FAE system, you will have the same issue.

Thanks for your help here. I have Factory Surf pipe and looks like I have clearance to do this. Need to pick my ladder of choice and look up some Fiberglass how too vids. What approx cost would the fiberglass materials be?

@dalt1 I just picked up the JIF spring assist 3 step ladder model FOGS-3 but have not installed it yet. It feels like a solid unit.

I was looking at it yesterday and on my 2008 LSV it barely (talking millimeters) will fit between the power wedge bracket and the lip of the platform. 

Still haven’t decided how I’m going to mount it yet. I like the idea of fiberglassing it in but that is a bigger job than I want to tackle. Since I need to replace platform pad I’ll probably just thru bolt it and see how it holds up. 

Let me know if you need any specific measurements of the JIF ladder. 

36 minutes ago, BearCreekBum said:

@dalt1 I just picked up the JIF spring assist 3 step ladder model FOGS-3 but have not installed it yet. It feels like a solid unit.

I was looking at it yesterday and on my 2008 LSV it barely (talking millimeters) will fit between the power wedge bracket and the lip of the platform. 

Still haven’t decided how I’m going to mount it yet. I like the idea of fiberglassing it in but that is a bigger job than I want to tackle. Since I need to replace platform pad I’ll probably just thru bolt it and see how it holds up. 

That is one I was looking at. It looks like it stores by slipping into the slot when stored? What is spring assisted?

10 hours ago, BearCreekBum said:

10 hours ago, dalt1 said:

That is one I was looking at. It looks like it stores by slipping into the slot when stored? What is spring assisted?

Just before falling asleep last night, it hit me. Probably has a spring that tries to push compressed ladder back out therefore keeping it pushed into the latch notch and not rattling. If that's how it works, I like it. Who can confirm my thoughts?

10 hours ago, dalt1 said:

There appears to be a spring in the uppermost internal section of the ladder. You are correct that the spring is compressed in order for the ladder to fit into the slot.

1 minute ago, dalt1 said:

Just before falling asleep last night, it hit me. Probably has a spring that tries to push compressed ladder back out therefore keeping it pushed into the latch notch and not rattling. If that's how it works, I like it. Who can confirm my thoughts?

You are thinking correctly.

I pulled the trigger and bought the NovelBee 3 Step Undermount Sliding Boat Ladder Stainless Steel. Looks like a good purchase. Went with it because it had the spring latch and no cross bar at the rear end of the upper support frame. It would have hit on my surf pipe. ($75)

I have also bought  5/16" - 18 brass inserts to install  so I don't have to drill through the top pad and surface. FYI from the bottom of the platform, it is about 1/4" thick fiberglass before hitting the foam core of about 3/8" thick till you hit the top surface fiberglass again. I have cleared the foam behind the fiberglass hole and packed it with JB Weld type epoxy putty just before driving the inserts in. Now my inserts (1/2" long) are embedded in the fiberglass and the JB weld which is packed in and  spread out behind the fiberglass hole. Feels very solid.  I plan on bedding the mount brackets in 3M 5200 before final bolt down to seal all 8 holes from water intrusion and add even more adhesion. To be honest, I feel this has more strength than just drilling and countersinking from top as that too is really only supported by the top layer of fiberglass which also appears to be only about 1/4" to 3/8" thick before the foam core.

The test of time will tell. If it fails, all it will do is leave holes in the bottom surface, then I will do the Catman fiberglass solution if needed and nobody will ever know of my failed attempt unless you tell them.image.thumb.png.18358e1f09bf8871fe8393c0758b79bd.pngimage.thumb.png.dffef6d7cf88dedfdb0f7bd50bc2cf99.pngimage.thumb.png.a13bd3dec10c0d1aa86b7b74b1ace86b.png

image.png

• Like 2

I had to make a driver for those inserts because I kept knocking am ear off as I drove them in (small ones in my slalom).  Basically used a bolt with a stop nut to drive them, then back the nut off and remove the bolt.  That way you are driving against the face, not the side of an ear. 

1 minute ago, justgary said:

I had to make a driver for those inserts because I kept knocking am ear off as I drove them in (small ones in my slalom).  Basically used a bolt with a stop nut to drive them, then back the nut off and remove the bolt.  That way you are driving against the face, not the side of an ear. 

Turn them upside down and screw a bolt in them. Put a socket on the bolt and let that screwdriver slot going in first help it cut into the hole. I drove all 8 no problem.

3 minutes ago, dalt1 said:

Turn them upside down and screw a bolt in them. Put a socket on the bolt and let that screwdriver slot going in first help it cut into the hole. I drove all 8 no problem.

Excellent.  Basically the same thing.  I think you found a great solution.  I don't think you will have issues with it.

I knew if I waited long enough someone would come up with a better solution than what I was going to do. 

@dalt1 I’ll probably call you for more details because it seems pretty straight forward and I need a complicated solution. 

3 minutes ago, BearCreekBum said:

I knew if I waited long enough someone would come up with a better solution than what I was going to do. 

@dalt1 I’ll probably call you for more details because it seems pretty straight forward and I need a complicated solution. 

Wait till I get it back on the boat so I can stand on it to see the results. Any guess what a Platform with this ladder weighs? I can't put it on myself. Guessing 80 ish pounds.

Here is a pic of the holes after I cored it out. Not much there without  back filling it before inserts.image.thumb.png.fc69d04486edf5941fd39b15a62da45f.png

Just two of those will hold a few hundred pounds static load.  I think you are good. 

You have my permission to body slam anyone who decides to jump up and down on the ladder (except for your test jump, of course).

1 hour ago, justgary said:

Just two of those will hold a few hundred pounds static load.  I think you are good. 

You have my permission to body slam anyone who decides to jump up and down on the ladder (except for your test jump, of course).

It has 8 of them. As long as it don't rip the bottom out of the platform I will be good. Assuming the top surface is no thicker and they countersink those and many only have 6.

2 hours ago, dalt1 said:

so did you leave them in upside down or just use it that way to tap the holes and then install them "right side up"?

2 hours ago, dalt1 said:

It has 8 of them. As long as it don't rip the bottom out of the platform I will be good. Assuming the top surface is no thicker and they countersink those and many only have 6.

Exactly.  8 is a lot of strength.  You aren't going to rip them through.  The worst will be when someone decides they need to slam the ladder back in.  That might loosen the bolts. 

7 hours ago, justgary said:

Exactly.  8 is a lot of strength.  You aren't going to rip them through.  The worst will be when someone decides they need to slam the ladder back in.  That might loosen the bolts. 

They are still in slot first. After setting in the Epoxy putty the way I did it, they are not coming back out unless the bottom surface breaks out. (my Guess)