Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2005 Sunscape VLX???

Kiteboardjim

I recently joined last week and I just bought a new to me 21’ 05’ Sunscape Vlx (as stared on the plaque under the throttle). I didn’t realize that Sunscape’s came in Vlx form, I thought they were lsv’s.  Can anyone more experienced give me more info please?  In all my google searches only Sunscape  come up  

Also so I want to use this primarily for surfing so my plan is to put two 850lb fat sacs in the lockers and install the go surf assist tabs on the back.  Has anyone else done this?  Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.  

I have spent a lot of time surfing behind different boats and a buddies who has a 05 sunsetter with the same setup and it throws an amazing wake.  I don’t want to muck around with filling and draining bags manually.  I want simple automatic push button control   

Thanks,

jim.   

30 minutes ago, Kiteboardjim said:

I don’t want to muck around with filling and draining bags manually.  

My winter project last year was to plumb the 750s that the previous owner had been filling manually and I quickly found time consuming last year.

From WakeMakers, I went with their premium reversible impeller pump, a T to go to each of the bags through premium clear tubing, a 3/4" threaded drain plug adapter through a seacock; I watch them as they get full and as they empty, though I have a timer unit I'll setup at some point. 

If you want something less custom, and especially if you're looking to use a new through hull and new empty hose you can consider either some check valves or going for vane based pumps; you should go through wake makers.

I also have the stock center mls, guessing you have the ski locker instead, so you'll want to put a ~500lb bag in the middle with its own pumps as well. Then you'll need some weight in the bow, i still do this manually.

The 21 LSV Sunscape of that era and the VLX were, essentially, the same boat from the standpoint of passenger rating.  Same hull dimensions, so weight, beam, draft were identical.  Same engine options.

The VLX, however, came almost universally on a "wake" hull," whereas the Sunscape came on only the "diamond" hull.  The VLX came with plumbed-in hard ballast tanks with electric pumps to fill and empty them.  It also came with a tower and bimini.

It was possible to order a Sunscape and have tower/bimini and ballast options added [at factory or at dealership], affectionately referred to as a "Fakesetter," but the out-the-door cost would probably have exceeded that for a true VLX.

You can still have your "simple automatic push button control" on your Sunscape, but you'll have to DIY, or have someone add it for you. 

There are those who would disagree, but, at surf speeds, I don't think that your diamond hull will perform significantly different than a wake hull.

When looking at the specifications tables in the resource section, it appears as though the 05 Sunsetter was offered on two different hulls (LXi vs XTi).  The LXi was built on the same hull as your Sunscape, but the XTi was not (sez XTi had only a 93 in beam, although, maybe that's just a typo!?).

Edited by srab

I have an 05 21LSV. Have 4 sacks. 2 rear, 1 in the ski locker, and a V bag under the front seat with 3 reversible pumps. Also a wedge and Martinarcher surf gates.  Pretty nice wake!  And when the midships bag is empty I can still put skis in there.

If your engine and running gear is in good shape you have a winner.

14 hours ago, minnmarker said:

I have an 05 21LSV. Have 4 sacks. 2 rear, 1 in the ski locker, and a V bag under the front seat with 3 reversible pumps. Also a wedge and Martinarcher surf gates.  Pretty nice wake!  And when the midships bag is empty I can still put skis in there.

If your engine and running gear is in good shape you have a winner.

I was thinking some similar for bags.   How do you like the Martinarcher surf gate?  

• 7 months later...

Thanks for all the advice ppl.  I went with the wakemakers 900lb bags and aerator pumps ( for ease of and cheap parts replacement). I also bought the infinity wave tab set up and about to install over the next couple weeks.  

as the owner of an 06 LSV, my memory is that 04 the Wakesetter became a model as opposed to an option.  There are tons of 05 VLX out there running the diamond hull as people felt they could still use for skiing as well as boarding.  The primary difference in the two hulls is not really noticeable until you are above 20 mph, the diamond hull wake cleans up the faster you go.  by 26 it is very skiable.

I have a 2005 LSV with diamond hull. Basically a VLX without the pesky built in ballast of the era.  Easier and better to put your own in.

With 3000 lbs water it's good for surfing and empty above 30 it's a decent recreational slalom boat.  I used to ski behind a Prostar 190 so I have a reference.