Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Raptor Monsoon 410 Oil Capacity

So did an oil change today.  Before I started I noted the oil was a bit over the high line.  Manual states 8 qt.  I did a check after ~6.5 and I am WAY over.  I haven't started it so I know the new cartridge filter will absorb a bit, but not nearly enough for how far over I am.  I extracted ~1qt and I'm still high.  I checked what drained and it was about 5 qt.  So if my math is correct, the actual capacity is <5qt.

Is there any consensus that 8qt is hogwash or am I just a dunce that can't read a dipstick?

ahopkins22LSV

It probably is 8 quarts but when you drain it you don’t get everything out. I’d say only 70-80% is drained. If you pump you may get more but I’ve only ever drained through the oil on hose over night. 

5 hours ago, ajive said:

So did an oil change today.  Before I started I noted the oil was a bit over the high line.  Manual states 8 qt.  I did a check after ~6.5 and I am WAY over.  I haven't started it so I know the new cartridge filter will absorb a bit, but not nearly enough for how far over I am.  I extracted ~1qt and I'm still high.  I checked what drained and it was about 5 qt.  So if my math is correct, the actual capacity is <5qt.

Is there any consensus that 8qt is hogwash or am I just a dunce that can't read a dipstick?

Are you gravity draining it or using a pump extractor? I use a pump extractor and get about 7.5ish quarts out.  Make sure and have a solid connection from extractor to flexible drain tube.  A spark plug boot works good for this.

It was a gravity drain from a hot motor overnight.  I don't really like the idea that I'm leaving 3qts behind.  Guess I'll pump next time.

Do you go through the dipstick tube or the oil addition hole?  Getting my overfill out I couldn't get the hose to snake through the oil addition hole so went down the dipstick tube.

I attach my extractor tube directly to the flexible rubber hose coming off the bottom of the oil pan.  This will get just about all the oil from the pan.  Just make sure you use something to create air tight seal between the hoses.

Edit:  You can also do this method with a cold engine and it will still extract all the oil out.   Takes about 10 mins tops to drain out.

Edited by Fman
53 minutes ago, Fman said:

I attach my extractor tube directly to the flexible rubber hose coming off the bottom of the oil pan.  This will get just about all the oil from the pan.  Just make sure you use something to create air tight seal between the hoses.

Edit:  You can also do this method with a cold engine and it will still extract all the oil out.   Takes about 10 mins tops to drain out.

a few of us are using air hose quick connects on the drain hose and our extractor pumps.  then you can just snap the two pieces together and be assured of a solid connection.  works like a champ!

This kit from home depot had everything I needed for my pcm engine: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-4-Piece-Quick-Connect-Kit-HDA20100AV/100003130?keyword=417564&semanticToken=20330000011_20190717111046427851_8nkv+20330000011+>++cnn%3A{9%3A0}+cnr%3A{7%3A0}+cnb%3A{0%3A0}+st%3A{417564}%3Ast+oos%3A{0%3A1}+dln%3A{572375}+qu%3A{417564}%3Aqu

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Fman said:

Oh, I see that in your original post now.  Clever.  That's a good idea. 

Now I'm debating if I should just roll with the partial change or  start over and eat the cost of the 6qts I've already used...

2 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

a few of us are using air hose quick connects on the drain hose and our extractor pumps.  then you can just snap the two pieces together and be assured of a solid connection.  works like a champ!

This kit from home depot had everything I needed for my pcm engine: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-4-Piece-Quick-Connect-Kit-HDA20100AV/100003130?keyword=417564&semanticToken=20330000011_20190717111046427851_8nkv+20330000011+>++cnn%3A{9%3A0}+cnr%3A{7%3A0}+cnb%3A{0%3A0}+st%3A{417564}%3Ast+oos%3A{0%3A1}+dln%3A{572375}+qu%3A{417564}%3Aqu

That is a great idea,  I might have to pick some of those up.... much cleaner than the rubber boot!

One question, how do you affix the coupling to the plastic hose coming off extractor?

1 hour ago, ajive said:

Oh, I see that in your original post now.  Clever.  That's a good idea. 

Now I'm debating if I should just roll with the partial change or  start over and eat the cost of the 6qts I've already used...

If it were me I would prob start over with fresh oil.  I have been buying this oil on Amazon for a great price and it is full synthetic. 

Castrol 03057 GTX MAGNATEC 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5 Quart https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TS9ZYWI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Ca2lDb1XSFM38

14 minutes ago, Fman said:

That is a great idea,  I might have to pick some of those up.... much cleaner than the rubber boot!

One question, how do you affix the coupling to the plastic hose coming off extractor?

The diameter was small enough to jam into my extractor hose and hose clamp.

1 hour ago, Fman said:

If it were me I would prob start over with fresh oil.  I have been buying this oil on Amazon for a great price and it is full synthetic. 

Castrol 03057 GTX MAGNATEC 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5 Quart https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TS9ZYWI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Ca2lDb1XSFM38

I knew someone would say that.  Guess I'll try the quick connect deal this weekend.

59 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

The diameter was small enough to jam into my extractor hose and hose clamp.

So are you threading on the quick connect to the drain tube each time?

39 minutes ago, ajive said:

I knew someone would say that.  Guess I'll try the quick connect deal this weekend.

So are you threading on the quick connect to the drain tube each time?

No.  I leave it threaded on there and have an extra fitting that the "cap" is threaded on to so it pops in where my pump hose would when I'm not using it.  Hope that makes sense.  If I remember I'll take a pic of the setup tonight when I get home.

2 hours ago, Fman said:

Here is a picture of my set up. I connected a 1/4 rubber air hose to the hose from my extractor.  The barb didn’t fit in my extractor hose.  Plus the rubber hose is more flexible.  This worked out perfect.  I take the quick connect off each time instead of leaving it on the drain hose.

F8C0CDAB-CEC4-4AD1-AABF-027A81FBD7AF.thumb.jpeg.4715152b15fbd4b9eb853c5a20f63dd8.jpeg

5B16F21D-28C3-43F7-9B4E-FEFDE4A0F4DA.thumb.jpeg.02d62d83e168ece6a1ba676e893f9c69.jpeg

• Like 2

This quick connect deal was a great tip!  Got all 8 qts out this time and all future changes will be a snap.  Thank you gentlemen!

Edited by ajive
  • Like 3
On 7/20/2019 at 7:26 AM, shawndoggy said:

Here’s how I have my “cap” set up with the air hose quick release. 

8F6140FF-AC50-426E-93F4-DE324B51BD68.jpeg

D15479D7-A790-4AA2-BAAF-92DCA2257EE5.jpeg

Nice.  That's exactly how I ended up.  Just the quick connect would hold back any oil I'd think, but I like having the hole plugged to prevent FOD and also so I can still use the clip through the cap and make it easier to access.

• 3 weeks later...

Changed my oil last night after getting back from the lake.  Holy cow with warm oil this extractor air hose fitting setup sucked it dry in about 45 seconds.   Took me longer to pour the new oil in than that!