Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Muffler Delete with FAE Questions

95echelon

How did you delete the muffler: FAE Kit 

What was the reasoning behind it? Keeps it quieter in the boat and more room to work on impeller.

What are your perceived benefits: Noise, Ease of Maintenance?

What are your perceived drawbacks? Money.

Are there any risks you are aware of such as safety, watertightness, etc?  None

What was the approximate cost? Couple hundred

How much time did it take you to complete the modification? Either including or excluding FAE?

with fae  3 hrs 

If FAE, did you get the flappers option? if so, why?

no flappers  

Bonus Question: Should I be worried because I am nearing 1400 hour

no

8 hours ago, Cholder2003 said:

I’m sure the topic has been beat to death but I just got a 2003 21 vlx. And I want more sound can I delete the exhaust and run exhaust pipe straight threw the hull to my stock flappers and get more sound and not hurt the motor??

Why do you want it louder?  Best stereo upgrade is an FAE.  Loud boats just wear on you.

12 hours ago, Cholder2003 said:

I’m sure the topic has been beat to death but I just got a 2003 21 vlx. And I want more sound can I delete the exhaust and run exhaust pipe straight threw the hull to my stock flappers and get more sound and not hurt the motor??

We have a 2001 VLX and my 2001 Response in my family.  I wish my Response sounded like the VLX, not the other way around.

23 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

Why do you want it louder?  Best stereo upgrade is an FAE.  Loud boats just wear on you.

My first boat was a supra with the 454 HO, it was rough to surf behind.

It got mistaken for a go fast due to how loud it was. Definitely not my ideal for a wake boat. 

You may also want to look at noise laws on your local lakes. Idaho cracked down on loud boats a while ago, we have a decibel limit and straight exhaust probably wouldn’t fly around here anymore. You could do a captain’s call system if you really wanted the straight pipe sound occasionally.