Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2010 Wakesetter starter not working

2010WakesetterVTX

My 2010 Wakesetter VTX starter motor stopped working today and I’m planning on fixing it myself. I’m having trouble finding information online about the location of the starter and how to change it. Does anyone have any pictures, diagrams, or any way to help me? Thank you.

Edit: Is the starter with part number 571006 the official part or a knockoff?

Edited by 2010WakesetterVTX

The starter is located near the bottom corner on the port side of your boat. The reason there is no video showing how to change it is it’s super easy. The starter has a red cable running to it, for quick identification, and two bolts holding it in. You literally remove those, unscrew the screw holding the red wire, then do that in reverse for the new one. Whatever starter you decide on, make sure it is for marine use.

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, burider said:

starter from bakes

https://www.bakesonline.com/starter-indmar-bottom-mount-new-marine-starter.html or DBelectrical for about half the price.

Unusual for Bakes not be close to lowest price but https://inboardonline.com/starter-bottom-mount-3-0-4-3-and-5-7-liter-571006/

Edited by Eagleboy99
3 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I saw these when I bought the part but the shipping times are too long. Living in Michigan, I only get a couple months of the year that I can use the boat so I paid a little more to get it by this Wednesday. Thank you for the links though.

5 hours ago, BlindSquirrel said:

The starter is located near the bottom corner on the port side of your boat. The reason there is no video showing how to change it is it’s super easy. The starter has a red cable running to it, for quick identification, and two bolts holding it in. You literally remove those, unscrew the screw holding the red wire, then do that in reverse for the new one. Whatever starter you decide on, make sure it is for marine use.

Thank you for this. This is what I was looking for. My part is coming in on Wednesday (it’s the same part Malibu uses, so definitely marine use) and the red cable sounds like it’ll make it easy to find it so I can take it out. I was quoted $700 to fix it by my marina so I decided on doing it myself. Thank you. 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, 2010WakesetterVTX said:

I was quoted $700 to fix it by my marina

I hesitate to think what it would cost up here but I'd say at least a grand.  B.O.A.T etc.

47 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I hesitate to think what it would cost up here but I'd say at least a grand.  B.O.A.T etc.

I was quoted $500 at a different place but they wouldn’t be able to get to it until at least 10 days from now since they’re backed up. That was a more reasonable price but the time was an issue. Boats are definitely a money pit though. I’ve had this one since 2013 and it’s been the most fun I’ve had but it’s also been very expensiveness.

Thank you all for your help. I was able to fix the starter myself today and it didn’t take very long at all. Thank you all for helping to save me a lot of money

• Like 2