Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fulton XLT winch failure

wdr

Is anyone else having issues with their brand new Fulton XLT winch contorting and not locking. Let me preface this narrative with, I float the boat on and into the bow roller as far as I can before I winch it. When I do winch it the rest of the way up the distance is normally a foot or less. I talked to a rep at Fulton and sent the pics. He acted like I was abusing the winch and has yet to get back in contact with me. I called the dealer and got some lame 2nd hand “probably wouldn't be covered by Malibu” answer. The obvious bottom line is, the Fulton winch base is thin and flimsy and Malibu only used 2 vertical inline attachment points instead of the Fulton drilled 3 point holes. I looked at the new aluminum covered F2 replacement, but I will have to make an inner steel backing plate for any application it looks like.

11D4F681-8239-4924-8028-A2C9075B0B93.jpeg

02D1CAC4-F767-4305-B668-9994BA29D2E8.jpeg

2257D3A0-3F01-479B-9137-7166831B54EF.jpeg

ahopkins22LSV

I think there was another thread that stated this winch was under rated for the bigger boats. Mine on my VTX seems to be holding up right now and I load with the same method as you. 

I need to check mine now....

One thing I'll add to the mix of Fulton frustrations are the wheels.  I picked up my boat this spring and noticed one of the wheels was leaning to the side and cracked in the middle.  The boat didn't move all winter.  It's the second time I've replaced the wheels.  

Does look like you are having to crank too hard if you are bending the base plate.   On the wheels, the second time I needed to have them replaced I asked them to send me the single wheel version of the whole jack instead and they did.

I haven't had issues but I did add liquid rollers to the two center/forward bow bunks which makes a HUGE difference in winching it up that last foot.  I don't do the rest of the bunks (makes thing just too slippery.)  You can also use Pledge (doesn't last as long, but it is cheap and works:). 

The XLT seems to be rated at 1500 (but there is also an 1800 model.)  The new version of the F2 is 2000lbs.  Not sure how you determine how much winch force you need.

My Fulton jack was broken from day #1.  It wouldn't lock in the vertical or horizontal position without a few minutes of wiggling it around and then you pulled the release handle it would rotate and smash your fingers.  Dealer took care of it and tossed on a new one.  It is almost like Fulton takes their jacks that get returned (in the retail market) and then sell them to boat manufactures/OEM.)  I still like the Fulton stuff better than the traditional type jack but the longevity is clearly questionable.

18 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Does look like you are having to crank too hard if you are bending the base plate.   On the wheels, the second time I needed to have them replaced I asked them to send me the single wheel version of the whole jack instead and they did.

Definitely, but I cant seem to get the boat seated nearly on top of the roller to avoid winching the last 6"-8". I have the single wheel, but the wheel base plate needs to tightened internally because it looks like it is about to fail just sitting. I did that on my last jack, but of course the double wheels broke and the internal gears ultimately failed/stripped from just jacking it up in the shop. 

When I spoke to them on the phone I got the impression that Fulton's opinion is the winch is under engineered for boats that size.  The gears didn't hold up on my A20.  I swapped the xlt for the F2 with a higher rating.  Its appears to be much more robust.  

I had the exact same issue (see the "let's talk winches thread).  I'm sure I could have got a warranty replacement since it was bent on day 1, but the factory winch is clearly underrated for the LSV.  I ended up getting a two-speed XLT and it was a super easy install.  The back plate hangs further over the trailer frame, so I'm a little concerned that I may bend this one too, but the low speed gear is 16:1 compared to the stock 4.1 so the handle force should be reduced significantly.  The back plate is also much more stout at 4.5mm rather than the 2mm that is reinforced using bends on the stock one.

I haven't taken the boat out since I replaced, but just cranking it back down in the garage I was able to easily get the bow tighter on the roller that it was with the stock one before I made the switch.  I have confidence that this was a great upgrade and will change the trailering game for me.

IMG_20190620_114407.thumb.jpg.81eb27239a093486144eb442a00340ec.jpgIMG_20190620_114215.thumb.jpg.90dc348f9f3212c688b3a08da8d6f740.jpgIMG_20190620_114208.thumb.jpg.ea19794c111902f51a609b7f46f7452d.jpg

• 1 month later...

Noticed mine bent today as well. This winch maybe has 6 launches on it. Super frustrating as I am about to tow 400 miles for a week long vacation. Had to pay $40 more for 3 day shipping in order to receive it before my vacation. I ordered the same one as @ajive since the link is in the other thread, I’ll add it here as well, this thread came up first in my search. 

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Winch/Fulton/F142418.html

FC6959F5-E8B6-40AB-9E21-873100AE9D62.jpeg

531F13EA-0C19-4F62-9F77-05BE713CA0B6.jpeg

Edited by Pnwrider
Added pics

FWIW I "upgraded" to one of those two speed winches on my MB five or six years ago and it totally imploded internally at the ramp with the boat about 6" from the bow roller after about a half a dozen outings.  I would not recommend switching between speeds on it ever.  was a somewhat harrowing two hour very twisty tow over the mountains home.

13 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

FWIW I "upgraded" to one of those two speed winches on my MB five or six years ago and it totally imploded internally at the ramp with the boat about 6" from the bow roller after about a half a dozen outings.  I would not recommend switching between speeds on it ever.  was a somewhat harrowing two hour very twisty tow over the mountains home.

That's a bummer to hear.  I've loved the two speed I put on so far.  It's rare I go to the low gear, but I have a couple of times and it's nice to just be able to pull it right up... Though the high gear is already 3x or something compared to the original so that tends to work.

Did you have the XLT or the X2 (or whatever the fully enclosed one is called)?

19 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

Noticed mine bent today as well. This winch maybe has 6 launches on it. Super frustrating as I am about to tow 400 miles for a week long vacation. Had to pay $40 more for 3 day shipping in order to receive it before my vacation. I ordered the same one as @ajive since the link is in the other thread, I’ll add it here as well, this thread came up first in my search. 

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Winch/Fulton/F142418.html

FC6959F5-E8B6-40AB-9E21-873100AE9D62.jpeg

531F13EA-0C19-4F62-9F77-05BE713CA0B6.jpeg

Add me to the list. These could be my pics looks the same. I noticed my Plastic cover all wanky just like this. I am in the process of adding a bow step that mounts behind the winch. I am using that mount plate to add 4 attachment points to the  winch backing plate To stiffen it up. I will post pics later as it is waiting for paint to dry before reassembly.

3 hours ago, dalt1 said:

Can someone please snap a pic of how the spring is attached to the bottom hole and  cog toggle?image.thumb.png.3fb17e7f577a29fe3c35dab853ff2d3b.png

One end goes here (see my plate is bending as well):

15653116347921183101245404627649.jpg

3 hours ago, dalt1 said:

Can someone please snap a pic of how the spring is attached to the bottom hole and  cog toggle?image.thumb.png.3fb17e7f577a29fe3c35dab853ff2d3b.png

From the pics just above mine, I was able to figure it out. Had the spring in the hole the wrong way.

Edited by dalt1
3 minutes ago, dalt1 said:

Bet mine wont bend up any more. Has 4 more bolts holding it flat now.

I may end up having to buy the step just for that reason alone if that is what you are using to bolt it to.

On 8/8/2019 at 7:57 PM, jwl019 said:

I may end up having to buy the step just for that reason alone if that is what you are using to bolt it to.

Yes made my own and drilled and countersunk the 4 new mount bolts from the back of the plate the step is mounted to.image.thumb.png.c35f2452ea52f3c5e848462629dfb56a.png

image.thumb.png.e18891a286a89bbdf9e127b19e4932e5.png

Edited by dalt1
On 8/8/2019 at 9:56 PM, dalt1 said:

Yes made my own and drilled and countersunk the 4 new mount bolts from the back of the plate the step is mounted to.image.thumb.png.c35f2452ea52f3c5e848462629dfb56a.png

image.thumb.png.e18891a286a89bbdf9e127b19e4932e5.png

Very nice on the bow step! I need to have one custom fabricated for my boat since I have the blockier 2 speed winch so I need more clearance since my winch is not angled on the bottom like that....I think I could just make that backing plate longer so the step portion is down lower and will clear my larger winch.

What I am wondering is if you have any kind of specs for the one you made so I can use the template to have a local welder make one for me (with longer backing plate that mounts behind the winch assembly, then I will prime/paint it myself since I already have the color matched paint for my trailer as well as get something to cover the step so I dont slip on the metal. What material did you use for the top of the step? Does not look like the standard decking

24 minutes ago, Infinitysurf said:

Very nice on the bow step! I need to have one custom fabricated for my boat since I have the blockier 2 speed winch so I need more clearance since my winch is not angled on the bottom like that....I think I could just make that backing plate longer so the step portion is down lower and will clear my larger winch.

What I am wondering is if you have any kind of specs for the one you made so I can use the template to have a local welder make one for me (with longer backing plate that mounts behind the winch assembly, then I will prime/paint it myself since I already have the color matched paint for my trailer as well as get something to cover the step so I dont slip on the metal. What material did you use for the top of the step? Does not look like the standard decking

I will get some dimensions in the next few days and get them to you. I just mocked it up out of cardboard first then went from there on mine. Thinking that these mount posts are probably different angles on different trailers.

The top material is just a piece of rubbery foam mat with 3M adhesive on back that I had laying around. Was going to use SeaDek but didn't have a large enough piece to cover.

Look here to purchase.

Edited by dalt1

Thank you! I actually talked to inland curl yesterday as I planned to buy one, for my Boatmate which has a 60 degree angle. But these are designed to just barely clear that XLT winch and after seeing the specs, the backing plate does not come down far enough and wont fit mine and why I will have to fabricate my own. I really like that clean design and how it mounts, all the other aftermarket bow steps seem to attach using a metal bracket of some kind that are guaranteed to rub paint and rust the trailer. This design is simple, clean looking and wont rust out my trailer over time. I trailer and have to climb over the bow every time I launch so something like this would be perfect.

Just swapped out for the bigger winch and used it for the first time. What a difference! It’s a beast compared to the stock pos. I don’t see needing to change gears on the fly so hopefully it holds up. I should have grabbed a pic with the two winches next to each other. Only downside is the base plate is so much larger that it won’t quite sit flush because of a weld on the trailer. Winching the boat was a breeze compared to before. 

B5566EDB-3D0B-4E1E-9C73-4374E493D096.jpeg

3AC7E199-A212-42F4-8FD1-F4C0FD7910B5.jpeg

38C3B99E-6F4D-42C1-B3B9-C65CA87B1C5A.jpeg

Edited by Pnwrider
Forgot a pic

Its a shame you had to replace it yourself. When I talked to Fulton directly about my failed, 2 month old winch, the guy acted like I was trying to drag the boat up the boat ramp with it. 2 bad Fulton won't stand behind their products!