Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help with smaller tow vehicle options

Asmodeus2112

20 minutes ago, RyanB said:

The 3.0 VW TDI engines were the ones involved in the emissions scandal.  They all now come with an extended warranty that is something like 10 years 130,000 miles.

As far as German service rates, they are bad.  I have a Cayman S.  Shift cable broke a few years back (known problem).  Something like $2k to fix.  My normal independent shop raised their rates for an oil change to $406 (no, I didn't have them do it).

If you go Porsche, you will want to find a good, independent shop.

To contrast that... my 08 Touareg v10TDI and my 09 Q7TDI were both pretty much flawless for the 8 years we owned each of them.  Oil changes and brakes for the Touareg were insanely expensive (I think it needed 14 quarts of special oil along with a fuel filter) and the huge Brembo's loved to eat pads/rotors (but it stopped on a dime!)  The Q7 was actually about 1/2 the cost in normal maintenance than the VW.  In my case I had full coverage $0 deductible warranties from VAG for both of them but I really never needed to use it.  The biggest thing I had happen was the intelligent cruise control sensor (the one that sees cars in front of you) go out on the VW and that was about a $1500 job that the warranty took care of.  My experience is that they were wonderful cars, very capable, and if you stayed up on maintenance they didn't every give me any issues.

3 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

They they are supposed to pull like a beast but are super complicated and very rare which means hard to get fixed if they break. Personally I would rather go the cayenne turbo route than the V10 tdi taureg. 

Vs your Honda (assuming your Honda experience has been good) with any of the three related German vehicles you are looking at you are gonna find out what it means to “break expensive.”

Yes, they pull like a beast... I owned an 08 10TDI Touareg for 8 years... most amazing vehicle I will ever own (really... I don't think we will ever see a car overengineered like that thing was.)  Simply a joy to drive and it could do anything.  08 was the best year... but there weren't many imported to the US.

• Like 1

I am overwhelmed at the moment. Need some time to process all the info and choices. Y'all have been greatly helpful.

I don't feel informed enough about the dieselgate thing, and it seems like the best choices for the VAG suv's are TDI's. I have never owned a diesel, getting cold feet. Maybe I'll go drive a Cayenne hybrid.... Or go look at the Colorado/Canyon again. 

4 hours ago, minnmarker said:

Gotta put a word in for the BMW X5.  6,000 lb. towing capacity (spec) and self leveling air suspension in the rear.  3 row SUV with great brakes and pulls nicely.

Not for the big boats but it has no problem with my 21LSV.

Service cost on BMWs is coming down now that there are more independent shops around - at least in Minneapolis.

I also picked up an 07 BMW X5 4.8i Sport last year with rear auto-level in the 10k range. Love the truck and it pulls my ELX really well. Anything above that it really hangs in a lower gear longer than I think it should. Cruise control isn't remotely an option on small rolling hills.

We pulled a 7x12 trailer to move my son and the fuel mileage dipped to single digits. Had to stop 3 times for a trip we normally do with no stops when not towing. Was well under the towing limit, even empty on the way back it was bad.

Do love it though for what we do. Cheaper and nicer than a similar year/mileage/condition Tahoe with infinitely better braking, plenty of power, and sticker was 72k when new.

VW and Q7 were on our list when we were shopping, X5 simply came up in our price range and travel radius first. 

Edited by jk13
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Asmodeus2112 said:

I am overwhelmed at the moment. Need some time to process all the info and choices. Y'all have been greatly helpful.

I don't feel informed enough about the dieselgate thing, and it seems like the best choices for the VAG suv's are TDI's. I have never owned a diesel, getting cold feet. Maybe I'll go drive a Cayenne hybrid.... Or go look at the Colorado/Canyon again. 

No need to worry about Dieselgate.  IT really just means we got slightly better MPGs than we should have.  Now they have all been bought back or "fixed".  There was nothing "wrong" with the motors.  in my case Audi purchased my Q7 TDI from my for 90% of what I paid for it 8 years ago... so umm.. that was the cheapest car I have ever owned!!!  Worked out great for us.

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, gregtay said:

Expedition is considered "a small tow vehicle"?

I know, right?  But he was considering half tons, but couldn't get past the length.  Expys aren't THAT big (207" vs Q7's 200").

Edited by shawndoggy
8 hours ago, RyanB said:

You sure have moved out of the "smaller" tow vehicle realm......

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

He moved out of the "tow vehicle" realm entirely a couple pages back ;)

Well, the criteria are that it will fit in the garage, tow my boat and carry my family safely and comfortably. Oh, and be "high value". And now that my wife has experienced the prestige S-Line Q7, air conditioned seats, a huge moon roof with sun screen (not opaque cover), individual climate controls front and back, etc. etc. Have to agree with her somewhat, those features are all very nice.

4 minutes ago, Asmodeus2112 said:

Well, the criteria are that it will fit in the garage, tow my boat and carry my family safely and comfortably. Oh, and be "high value". And now that my wife has experienced the prestige S-Line Q7, air conditioned seats, a huge moon roof with sun screen (not opaque cover), individual climate controls front and back, etc. etc. Have to agree with her somewhat, those features are all very nice.

Which is fine, but you are looking for an oversized, over priced sports car that can tow now.  Not a tow vehicle.

1 minute ago, oldjeep said:

Which is fine, but you are looking for an oversized, over priced sports car that can tow now.  Not a tow vehicle.

You are correct! Colorado/Canyon are still on the list, but need to verify fit in garage as measurements were too close to call.

28 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

I respect your opinion, you have a lot of wisdom. Your advice is to park it outside. But if that is not an option what do you think the best choice(s) is(are)?

Edited by Asmodeus2112
Spelling

I autocrossed the X5 this Spring. And if the Audi RS6 Avant were in the US in my price range it would have been on my list too. Nothing wrong with a sporty vehicle that you really enjoy driving and can do what you need. 

@Asmodeus2112 the features you mentioned are some of the things we enjoy most. 

• Like 1

If your wife like amenities (and I don't blame her) is she really going to be happy with a 10 year old vehicle?

I spent the last two years in a 2008 Lexus RX400 (obviously not a tow vehicle) as my winter/seeing customer vehicle.  The lack of current amenities finally got to me.  Good bluetooth audio could be added but things like adaptive cruise, accident avoidance/emergency breaking, blind spot notification, park assist and the like aren't likely to be on anything pre 2012.

For what you are asking of a tow vehicle that will fit in the garage I would suggest you go back and look at a Grand Cherokee.  Low $20's will get you a very capable tow vehicle with all the "high value" features.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Asmodeus2112 said:

I respect your opinion, you have a lot of wisdom. Your advice is to park it outside. But if that is not an option what do you think the best choice(s) is(are)?

Yukon, Tahoe, Expedition, Durango, Grand Cherokee.   Those should all tow enough and have the interior space you need and the first 3 are still built like a truck.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

if the canyon would fit why wouldn't an expedition?

But cooled seats, I get that!

Maybe it will, I'll check.

37 minutes ago, RyanB said:

If your wife like amenities (and I don't blame her) is she really going to be happy with a 10 year old vehicle?

I spent the last two years in a 2008 Lexus RX400 (obviously not a tow vehicle) as my winter/seeing customer vehicle.  The lack of current amenities finally got to me.  Good bluetooth audio could be added but things like adaptive cruise, accident avoidance/emergency breaking, blind spot notification, park assist and the like aren't likely to be on anything pre 2012.

For what you are asking of a tow vehicle that will fit in the garage I would suggest you go back and look at a Grand Cherokee.  Low $20's will get you a very capable tow vehicle with all the "high value" features.

Maybe, but she likes quality and value too (As do I). I think the Land Cruiser variants have all that in spades. Current vehicle that i could bring home and "surprise" her with and not get divorced would be the Q7 S-Line though. 

36 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Yukon, Tahoe, Expedition, Durango, Grand Cherokee.   Those should all tow enough and have the interior space you need and the first 3 are still built like a truck.

Ok, will look hard at those. I would think the the Land Cruiser would qualify to be on that list. It's body on frame etc.

If you are looking at made in America have a good look at the Ford line. The Eco packages just can't be beat for towing if you are not going diesel. The explorer has a sport version that will have better brakes and suspension. The Expedition has a standard and extended version. All have some good trailer packages. And are a very nice daily ride/drive.  If you want more bling and better ride and seats the Lincoln has some nice vehicles. Both my wife and I drive Lincoln SUVs. The price for us is nothing as we keep our rides for five to ten years so its not much looking at the cost over time.  

6 minutes ago, Asmodeus2112 said:

Ok, will look hard at those. I would think the the Land Cruiser would qualify to be on that list. It's body on frame etc.

Yes, body on frame - but you'll have to buy one that is 5-10 years older to be in the same price range as the other options.