Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help with smaller tow vehicle options

Asmodeus2112

7 minutes ago, RyanB said:

He’s talking about 15 mile trips. I’m now convinced he should go with nothing less than an F450. Even that might be questionable from what I’m reading here. 

If i get the 2.7 twin turbo now, the salesperson swears I can add two more turbos later.

• Haha 3
5 minutes ago, Asmodeus2112 said:

usually you have to be a recently graduated former ship captain one legged farmer veteran with a current lease with a competing brand to qualify for all of the fake incentives.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Asmodeus2112 said:

You need to find your local(ish) high volume dealer.  That dealer has below average pricing, which is why I drive past many, many dealers to buy my vehicles there.

2 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

usually you have to be a recently graduated former ship captain one legged farmer veteran with a current lease with a competing brand to qualify for all of the fake incentives.  

LOL - the unconditional price on that site is legit.  The as low as price is the one legged vet price.  

Edited by oldjeep
3 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

You need to find your local(ish) high volume dealer.  That dealer has below average pricing, which is why I drive past many, many dealers to buy my vehicles there.

Searching. Looked at 5 already and all the same, but still have hope.

1 minute ago, Asmodeus2112 said:

There is always the fly in option.  There is some southern GMC? dealer that is famous for low prices and a couple of TMC members have flown in to buy trucks because the deals are just that good.

• Like 1
Just now, Asmodeus2112 said:

go to cars.com, set radius to 500 miles, pick options/trim you want then sort by price.  The high volume guys will be the lowest.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Asmodeus2112 said:

Ft. Worth, not too far. This has 3.4k, so a demo or something.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/758310143/overview/

Don't think I've ever seen one with the short bed and the big fuel tank.  But its got all the stuff for a real tow vehicle.  Class 4 hitch, tow mirrors, 5.7 and 8 speed

28 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

go to cars.com, set radius to 500 miles, pick options/trim you want then sort by price.  The high volume guys will be the lowest.

This has been eye opening. All the Ram dealerships around ATX are 5-7k more expensive than Dallas, which in turn seem more expensive than OK. 

Edited by Asmodeus2112
46 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

There is always the fly in option.  There is some southern GMC? dealer that is famous for low prices and a couple of TMC members have flown in to buy trucks because the deals are just that good.

Laura in St. Louis has the best GMC pricing you'll find in the country.  I flew in from WI and bought mine there in 2016.  @Nitrousbird did the same last year from Ohio.  When it comes time to replace my 2016, I will consider doing the same.  When I was there in 2016 there were a father and son tandem from Texas pulling away in their new Sierras to head back down south.

• Like 2

So I think I could get a crew cab 1/2 ton in the garage. Garage is 246", and the RAM is 229" and the F150 5.5' is 232. Problem is the witch with a b bump. But I could build a ramp and pad to put in front of the bump so the front tires can roll up and rest about half way up the bump. My wife is going to laugh hard in my face about this though. Here's a pic of my garage so you can see why. Any she will be right, I am rationalizing pretty hard right now becuase the price/value of these trucks is hard to resist...

20190619_180520 (1).jpg

• Sad 2

How far is the wall from this bump?  Could you back in?  From my back tire to the end of the bumper is probably about 3' on my Crew Cab Sierra.

IMG_20190628_114056.jpg

Edited by UWSkier
4 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Do you have a pic of the bump?

It's just a 3" or so step up. Some 2x something bevelled will do. Shouldn't be a big deal for the truck to sit with the front end 3 inches higher. 

20190628_180925.jpg

4 hours ago, UWSkier said:

How far is the wall from this bump?  Could you back in?  From my back tire to the end of the bumper is probably about 3' on my Crew Cab Sierra.

IMG_20190628_114056.jpg

Yeah, that might be ok. Only drawback is exhaust in the garage. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2019 at 1:03 PM, oldjeep said:

It's not Southern.  Laura Buick GMC.

https://www.laurabuickgmc.com/

Bought my truck there for $17,000 under MSRP.  Not only that, they had trucks in stock most dealers didn't have, as I wanted a loaded SLT with the 6.2L and sunroof; nothing in the state had one and anything close were a good 5k more expensive.  Their prices were lower than what local dealers were selling the same trucks for used.

On 6/19/2019 at 12:25 AM, gregtay said:

You mentioned the GC... a GC with the air suspension would be great (they tow very well.) I have a GC and Durango.. both were awesome pulling my 2008 23LSV. For the 2019 we only use the Durango (high tow rating.)  There are also a bunch of German SUVs you could pick up used that tow 7700, Touareg, Q7, X5, Cayenne, etc. Not cheap to drive/maintain but if you can get one with some mile on it to get the price down along with a warranty then you would be set. 

I tow our cobalt with GC with hemi and air suspension.  Very good tow vehicle imo.   

Edited by bamabonners
On 6/28/2019 at 6:12 PM, Asmodeus2112 said:

It's just a 3" or so step up. Some 2x something bevelled will do. Shouldn't be a big deal for the truck to sit with the front end 3 inches higher. 

20190628_180925.jpg

Cant imagine that bump being a problem, trucks are parked out of level all the time. Wood wedge and you're good to go.

Edited by carguy79ta
  • Like 1