Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help with smaller tow vehicle options

Asmodeus2112

23 minutes ago, RyanB said:

The 3.6 is plenty to tow your boat. Since weight ratings are important to you, have you checked the GC with the 3.6?  I know at one time it was the same 5000 as the Ridgeline. 

I would disagree.  My inlaws have one and it is a turd towing an LXI on a single axle trailer

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Sparky450 said:

We had a 07 BMW 328I. Bought used in 2010 with 45k on it. That car was a blast to drive, the harder you drove it the more it stuck to the road. It was great til 100K.  We drove it til 130k. My daughter was driving it at the time as well and it became undependable. Then repairs became far worse than a payment on a new car.  Most people say the repairs start at 90k to 100k. Everyone we know says "Drive them as long as they are under warranty" then sell them.

My car fanatic friend in the UK says it's widely known in Europe that European gas models simply aren't designed to go more than 100k miles without major repairs and expensive parts replacement.  If you want to pack on the miles, get a TDI.

• Like 1

Never mind on towing capacity. It’s rated at 6200. 

Pretty silly to think that 290 HP and 8 speed tranny isn’t adequate to tow the 15 miles he wants to tow. 

For the record, I have a friend with a V6 GC and he tows a 22’ Cobalt. He’s happy with it for shorter distances. 

If you’re looking at some of the fancier German suv’s I would definitely consider finding one where you can buy it with a warranty. I know dealers like carmax offer decent policies for the price. Go look at doug demuro’s channel on YouTube, his carmax warranty on his Range Rover paid for itself. 

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Never mind on towing capacity. It’s rated at 6200. 

Pretty silly to think that 290 HP and 8 speed tranny isn’t adequate to tow the 15 miles he wants to tow. 

For the record, I have a friend with a V6 GC and he tows a 22’ Cobalt. He’s happy with it for shorter distances. 

290 hp at 6400 rpm. 

The pile of receipts I have from the previous BMW owner--who carried an aftermarket warranty--looks to be 60/40 on customer pay vs. warranty covered. So he'd take it to the dealer thinking it'll be covered and it's not--dealer has a mandatory 1 hour charge for inspection of non-warranty issue. Customer either pays inspection fee if they don't have it fixed or they just roll that fee toward the repair labor and end up paying retail parts and labor for the repair. 

Our sales department sells extended 3rd party warranties. We in the service department have nicknamed the policies Fat Chance Mutual...

Just be careful and very clear on what you are buying.

47 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

If you’re looking at some of the fancier German suv’s I would definitely consider finding one where you can buy it with a warranty. I know dealers like carmax offer decent policies for the price. Go look at doug demuro’s channel on YouTube, his carmax warranty on his Range Rover paid for itself. 

17 minutes ago, jk13 said:

The pile of receipts I have from the previous BMW owner--who carried an aftermarket warranty--looks to be 60/40 on customer pay vs. warranty covered. So he'd take it to the dealer thinking it'll be covered and it's not--dealer has a mandatory 1 hour charge for inspection of non-warranty issue. Customer either pays inspection fee if they don't have it fixed or they just roll that fee toward the repair labor and end up paying retail parts and labor for the repair. 

Our sales department sells extended 3rd party warranties. We in the service department have nicknamed the policies Fat Chance Mutual...

Just be careful and very clear on what you are buying.

I'm not one that generally goes for extended warranties on anything. But the "break expensive" part of the german suv's has me a bit worried. I'm thinking a 2014 or 2015 with around 60k miles is not a huge risk though. Still a new GC with warranty and new electronics is appealing.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Falko said:

If you are going the new route, look at the Explorer as well, maybe even a Highlander (but I don't know much about their tow ratings). And remember, the 2020's will be coming out shortly so any '19 left on the lot at that time will be a fire sale. Might want to wait a couple months for something new unless they want to really deal now.

Good luck!!

The GC's with the bigger motors are scarce at the dealerships and they are not offering any deals on them that I have found yet. Deals on the gas v6 are looking pretty ok. Not nearly like the deals on F-150 or Ram 1500, but 5-7k off. The Explorer doesn't tow much, I think like 5500 with a package. Highlander never did either, but will take a peek. (Man, really liked the new '19 RAM. That motor is awesome. Still, it won't fit in the garage and I really, really didn't want to spend 40k or more.) Need to check out Durango I suppose.

Edited by Asmodeus2112
ahopkins22LSV
4 hours ago, Asmodeus2112 said:

Going to look at a new 2019 GC 4x4 Altitude with tow package. ~$35k. 3.6 gas motor, leveling suspension. New is attractive, warranty and new stuffs.

How many miles are on it? We had a 2010 and 14 GC. I know those are two different generations with different generation engines, but same failure mode of blown front crank seal and head seals. Dealership told us “don’t worry, it’s under warranty”. Both failed at upper 70-85k on the odometer. Both also had a slew of other issues of gas tank fuel sensors. $700 job for. $30 sensor, touch screen issues. Bad AC lines. The 2010 had a blown water pump at 95k and a stuck (closed) thermostat at 97k... I know that’s getting up there but I’d be nervous to buy one... but that’s just me. Oh and if you have to change a headlight bulb, it’s either a few hundred at the dealer or come up with four other joints between your wrist and elbow and have a super skinny arm. 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

How many miles are on it? We had a 2010 and 14 GC. I know those are two different generations with different generation engines, but same failure mode of blown front crank seal and head seals. Dealership told us “don’t worry, it’s under warranty”. Both failed at upper 70-85k on the odometer. Both also had a slew of other issues of gas tank fuel sensors. $700 job for. $30 sensor, touch screen issues. Bad AC lines. The 2010 had a blown water pump at 95k and a stuck (closed) thermostat at 97k... I know that’s getting up there but I’d be nervous to buy one... but that’s just me. Oh and if you have to change a headlight bulb, it’s either a few hundred at the dealer or come up with four other joints between your wrist and elbow and have a super skinny arm. 

This would be a new 2019 with full factory warranty  There are some great deals on 1/2 ton trucks, seeing if there is anything for new SUV's. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Asmodeus2112 said:

I'm not one that generally goes for extended warranties on anything. But the "break expensive" part of the german suv's has me a bit worried. I'm thinking a 2014 or 2015 with around 60k miles is not a huge risk though. Still a new GC with warranty and new electronics is appealing.

My wife drives an 18 Grand Cherokee Limited. Sitting on 20s with 3.6 liter V6. I will, say it is pretty fun to drive.  Kinda reminds me of the BMW. Just doesn’t handle as well. But still very good for an SUV. However I have never towed with it. And for that matter we never towed with her Tahoe either. I also believe the tow rating on the Jeep is higher than the 06 Tahoe that we still have. 

Edited by Sparky450
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

That 2.7L is not the engine I would choose for a 1/2 ton tow vehicle.  IMO.  

For an 05 vlx it would do just fine.  My buddy pulls a small travel trailer with his that has to way at least as much and has way worse aerodynamic properties and it gets it done.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

For an 05 vlx it would do just fine.  My buddy pulls a small travel trailer with his that has to way at least as much and has way worse aerodynamic properties and it gets it done.

I didn't say it won't pull it; just not the engine I'd personally choose.  And if he carries any gear or peeps in the truck he is going to be pretty close to maxing it out; I just prefer a little more margin if it is available in the vehicle. 

Edited by jjackkrash
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

I didn't say it won't pull it; just not the engine I'd personally choose.  And if he carries any gear or peeps in the truck he is going to be pretty close to maxing it out; I just prefer a little more margin if it is available in the vehicle. 

I get it.  But it'd still be a huge step up from a ridgeline.

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

I get it.  But it'd still be a huge step up from a ridgeline.

That isn't a real high bar.  This thing might be a step up from a ridgeline, they are both "trucks" in the same way ;)

https://thenextweb.com/plugged/2019/06/18/genius-inventor-turns-her-tesla-model-3-into-a-pickup-truck/

Always pick the proper vehicle for the job

smart-car-with-towing-tiny-boat.jpg

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

That isn't a real high bar.  This thing might be a step up from a ridgeline, they are both "trucks" in the same way ;)

https://thenextweb.com/plugged/2019/06/18/genius-inventor-turns-her-tesla-model-3-into-a-pickup-truck/

Always pick the proper vehicle for the job

smart-car-with-towing-tiny-boat.jpg

good grief.  a 2.7 eco (325HP / 400 ft lbs Tq) is plenty to tow a 5,500 lb boat through Texas on short hauls. The powerstroke 7.3 that everyone fawns over was 210/275 by comparison (and probably weighted 2x as much).

• Like 1

He’s talking about 15 mile trips. I’m now convinced he should go with nothing less than an F450. Even that might be questionable from what I’m reading here. 

• Like 4