Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Input needed for flightcraft rebuild.

Nick1984

Yeah, I’m going to put the foam back in.  It lasted almost 30 years with it and I don’t know how anyone took care of it before me.  My thought is that since I’m being so diligent epoxy coating everything before I glue anything in it should never be an issue ever again.  I have some 3/4 Coosa left over so I’m going to use that for under the battery and oil tank so everything that has a screw or bolt through it will be composite. (I’m using 3/4 ABX for the floor throughout rather than 1/2 on the side and 3/4 in the center). Under the front deck I’m using 1/2 ABX.  

Tonight I got the rest of the starboard stringer out that that I was holding off on.  It came out way easier than I anticipated.  I just used an electric chainsaw and sliced down both sides till I hit the bottom and lifted the center out In One piece.  It makes one hell of a mess but it’s fast. The old guy that redoes a lot of the older boats in my area advised  me to do it that way.  He says it’s easier to just do that and slide your new stinger into place and clamp and your done.  His reasoning is that when the glasses it in the glass goes farther than the tabbing ever would. I she his reasoning and he’s been redoing boats for the better part of 40 years so I figure he’s forgotten more than I’ll ever know.  

700AF701-EFE5-4ABB-A9F3-A791E02F9988.jpeg

• 4 years later...
Okinwake

Hey Nick,

A few years have passed since you started this post. I have a 1992 Flightcraft and the time will come for me to get into it. Would love to see pics on how your project progressed. In the meantime, my captains chair completely disintegrated. Wondered if you had any tips/dimensions.

Thanks!