Jump to content

 

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

IXFE

Rip & replace factory subwoofer + enclosure...

Recommended Posts

IXFE
1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

In lieu of a terminal cup, someone did a box on here in the semi ancient past using machine screws for the wire.  So drill two holes in the box, just big enough for machine screws to pass through.  on the inside, the pigtail wires are on ring terminals that go on the screw heads.  silicone is squirted in the screw holes, then screws are inserted, flat washers on top then nuts.  Then ring terminals from the amp wire goes on top of the protruding screw/nut, with a second nut with lock washer on top of that.  Maybe @Cory did it that way?  I thought that was pretty slick.

I’ve actually never used a cup (except when I’ve bought a prefab box). I think they’re garbage. 

For this box I bought these posts (pic 1). So I just have to drill two small holes, thread them through, and silicon to be safe. 

I am recycling the factory pigtail (oh the irony) albeit shorter. I’ve already prepared it with the ring terminals (pic 2).

24703637-5FF0-4FB8-BC91-74C9117B76DB.jpeg

AB5B1FB5-645B-4CE6-9966-6AF7DBCF0A6C.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shawndoggy

gold is good for like 3db or output!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IXFE
56 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

gold is good for like 3db or output!

Nothing but the best for the NEXT owner of this pig...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IXFE
Posted (edited)

Pic 1 - Floor risers in place and screwed down; super solid. Tape at the lip helps me know where to drill/screw through the enclosure floor

Pic 2 - Box testing in place, not secure yet. I think I may be able to get that 8th sub screw inserted  

 

 

3F5733EF-B863-4E7C-9B01-5ACE295783F7.jpeg

99DF66F8-ADF2-449F-BE73-BE73D63A5C1D.jpeg

Edited by IXFE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IXFE
Posted (edited)

Not shown - Recycled foam strips stuck to top of these HDPE pieces. Added benefit is these strips is holding box in place while driving the first screw in.  

Pic 1 - After much deliberation, decided to secure box with four recycled 1.5” #10 stainless screws.  

Pic 2 - After carefully pre drilling holes (which killed me), screws are in... It’s super SOLID!

Pic 3/4 - I played around with the pig tail and woofer and decided to top mount the GOLD terminals, as previously discussed. Should minimize any wire rattling that may occur.  

Pic 5 - All that’s left is mounting the sub.  Seems like a good time too knock off for the evening 😜 

 

 

 

 

 

A70C92FF-472A-4F37-A1E9-939114C44457.jpeg

86949E7F-AAEE-426D-8F7E-27FFBA4EEBB1.jpeg

5A21FF81-5508-4465-BE58-7AB11D4B638A.jpeg

2193FC00-E78A-4832-8027-F5C4121B2057.jpeg

6FD880BD-A7E1-49F2-9DCC-2D88C1E8D144.jpeg

Edited by IXFE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cory
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

In lieu of a terminal cup, someone did a box on here in the semi ancient past using machine screws for the wire.  So drill two holes in the box, just big enough for machine screws to pass through.  on the inside, the pigtail wires are on ring terminals that go on the screw heads.  silicone is squirted in the screw holes, then screws are inserted, flat washers on top then nuts.  Then ring terminals from the amp wire goes on top of the protruding screw/nut, with a second nut with lock washer on top of that.  Maybe @Cory did it that way?  I thought that was pretty slick.

I did exactly what IXFE did above.  Wow!  I haven't looked at that old thread for a lot of years...  Those were good times.   Great work IXFE.  You've come along way from those early years.  I found carpet foot pads worked the best to avoid squeaks.   I'm going on my 5th summer and no issues with my sub yet.  Knock on wood...

 post-4451-0-53956600-1424890874.jpg

post-4451-0-10877500-1424890709.jpg

Edited by Cory

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sparky450
1 hour ago, IXFE said:

Not shown - Recycled foam strips stuck to top of these HDPE pieces. Added benefit is these strips is holding box in place while driving the first screw in.  

Pic 1 - After much deliberation, decided to secure box with four recycled 1.5” #10 stainless screws.  

Pic 2 - After carefully pre drilling holes (which killed me), screws are in... It’s super SOLID!

Pic 3/4 - I played around with the pig tail and woofer and decided to top mount the GOLD terminals, as previously discussed. Should minimize any wire rattling that may occur.  

Pic 5 - All that’s left is mounting the sub.  Seems like a good time too knock off for the evening 😜 

 

 

 

 

 

A70C92FF-472A-4F37-A1E9-939114C44457.jpeg

86949E7F-AAEE-426D-8F7E-27FFBA4EEBB1.jpeg

5A21FF81-5508-4465-BE58-7AB11D4B638A.jpeg

2193FC00-E78A-4832-8027-F5C4121B2057.jpeg

6FD880BD-A7E1-49F2-9DCC-2D88C1E8D144.jpeg

I could never knock off for the evening when I am this close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahopkinsVTX

Are you going to have enough clearance for the 6 o’clock screw on the sub? Or did you come up with another plan?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IXFE
52 minutes ago, Sparky450 said:

I could never knock off for the evening when I am this close.

Truth is... I was planning to recycle the factory screws to screw in the sub, but the heads are too big. So I gotta hit Home Depot in the morning to finish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
David

Not at all surprised to hear of the results. JL Audio is absolutely fanatical about every detail of their subwoofers, from the W3 and up. And the same amount of finesse goes into their recommended enclosure volume. All that's left is building a great box...and you're dialed-in there too.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IXFE
9 hours ago, David said:

Not at all surprised to hear of the results. JL Audio is absolutely fanatical about every detail of their subwoofers, from the W3 and up. And the same amount of finesse goes into their recommended enclosure volume. All that's left is building a great box...and you're dialed-in there too.  

 

Thanks, David.  I appreciate the kind words.  This has been a fun (and eye opening) project.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahopkinsVTX

Awesome work guys!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pnwrider

Great work @IXFE nice to have great write ups like this as a guide for others (and me). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ctvandy23

@G Spotlooks great!  What type of LED did you use for the woofer and the inboat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
G Spot
4 minutes ago, ctvandy23 said:

@G Spotlooks great!  What type of LED did you use for the woofer and the inboat?

Thanks! I bought some LED strip lights off amazon for the sub backlight and some small individual LEDs for the back of the inboat tweeters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IXFE
Posted (edited)

Working on the grill. New Gatorstep to match the darker gray (aka Sharkfin) I’m about to lay down on the floor...

Glue was TOUGH on this!

 

AF26A220-3CB5-4973-BBE0-0ACAEAF6BB5D.jpeg

E91897C9-2FE1-45EA-99FF-4DC999EED0D1.jpeg

Edited by IXFE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IXFE

All done 

06F21C77-6E3B-489B-88EF-CBF0B11EF7A1.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahopkinsVTX

That looks like it was miserable. I wonder if the glue adhears to the metal better than gel coat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IXFE
10 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

That looks like it was miserable. I wonder if the glue adhears to the metal better than gel coat. 

I left it out in the 90 degree sun for hours too. Funny thing is last year it came off clean and EASY!

44CD8D75-536F-4394-84B4-13A84EFD5D40.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahopkinsVTX
1 hour ago, IXFE said:

I left it out in the 90 degree sun for hours too. Funny thing is last year it came off clean and EASY!

44CD8D75-536F-4394-84B4-13A84EFD5D40.jpeg

Interesting. Wonder if they changed the adhesive backing, or suppliers, or both!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23LSVOwner
On 6/15/2019 at 9:40 AM, ahopkinsVTX said:

Interesting. Wonder if they changed the adhesive backing, or suppliers, or both!

Big time adhesive change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...