Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rip & replace factory subwoofer + enclosure...

IXFE

On 5/29/2019 at 3:10 PM, shawndoggy said:

makes sense!  Mad skills on this one @IXFE.  Great work.  Haha how much time sitting there just staring at stuff and trying to model it up in your brain?

13.6 seconds max with this guy :thumbup:

Layin’ it down!  

Many hands make light work. 

I love how this stuff just seeps into every crack and small void. Even though I know the inside is caulked and sealed, it’s very satisfying knowing the outside is sealed too. 

D5342F96-947B-4712-9734-B15AD63739E1.jpeg

86183CFF-2E16-4043-B148-687ADC928ABD.jpeg

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, IXFE said:

Prepping the materials. Special thanks to @shawndoggy who is the Picasso of Fiberglas resin. 

I prefer to think of myself as someone who already knows all of the ways to mess up... from personal experience / incompetence. Great work!

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Just now, shawndoggy said:

I prefer to think of it as someone who already knows all of the ways to mess up. Great work!

Seriously though, allow me to rely some of these great tips for those who are following along with the intent to replicate...

1) Cover the floor and wear gloves. This seems obvious, but it’s so tempting to think, “I won’t spill. I got dis!”  No you don’t. As careful as I was, this stuff drips and will harden on your floor. Make sure the newspaper is taped down, especially if outside. You don’t want the wind blowing it onto your wet box.

2) Use a 5 gallon bucket in the sub hole to elevate the box off the floor.  This allows you to cover all the sides of the box with one batch (except the the front). I would have never thought of this gem.

2) 2” chip brushes worked awesome. They’re $0.97/ea at Walmart. I bought six. After each batch of resin I just toss them in the trash. 

3) Measuring the right amount of resin -to- hardener is key. The 3M stuff I’m using says 6 tablespoons of resin to 0.25 teaspoon of hardener. I did the math for you... that’s 89ml of resin for 1.23ml of hardener.  Or pick your favorite measurement for the resin and add 1.4% hardener. In my case I mixed batches 2x that amount... so 180ml / 2.5ml. @shawndoggy‘s trick that helped so much was using a cheap measuring cup for the resin and a syringe (marked in ML) for the hardener. Drill a hole in the top of the hardener tube and draw it out. Then mix them both together in a disposable Tupperware. Mix it 100 times. Then you have about 5-7 minutes before it starts to set, so don’t dilly dally.  Each batch was easily enough to cover the box (except the front). 

4) It takes about two hours to harden to the point you can add a second coat. Lightly touch it. If it’s still sticky wait longer. I’m doing this in my garage on a warm day (mid-80’s) with the garage door open. If it’s colder it will take longer to set. 

5) Do two coats on the elevated box.  Once completely dry, flip it and do two more on the front. Plan on a full day to get it all done. Lots of drying time. 

Total cost for resin and supplies was $38 for me, and that included the measuring cup, syringe, Tupperware, and even a newspaper. You may have these items already laying around. 

21 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Supervision looks like it’s going well. :Tease3:

Always love getting the kids involved. You should have heard him though... 

“Dad, I can feel the cancer forming in my lungs!”

ahopkins22LSV
1 minute ago, IXFE said:

Always love getting the kids involved. You should have heard him though... 

“Dad, I can feel the cancer forming in my lungs!”

What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger right? Lol

When you are done, feel free to fly to MI and do this to mine too! :biggrin:

7 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Glass, huh?  I would have skipped that and just used polyurethane (Interlux).  That stuff is astounding.  60 bucks a pint though.  But what a finish!

I debated several different options. Ultimately this was cheaper and easier for me.  Besides, this box will be 99% invisible, so I’m not really worried about how it looks. 

Just now, Eagleboy99 said:

Ten bucks says you paint it down the road. :)  Black.  

Already planning to paint the front black since it’s the only part you might see through the factory grill. 

The other reason I did glass was it’s easier to find locally, which is a huge premium for me. I hate waiting around for exotic materials. 

I win!  LOL  Seriously,  for your next project look into Interlux PU paint.  The stuff is amazing AF.  Most marinas and marine places (West Marine etc.) carry it.

16 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

I win!  LOL  Seriously,  for your next project look into Interlux PU paint.  The stuff is amazing AF.  Most marinas and marine places (West Marine etc.) carry it.

I have a feeling this will not be my last subwoofer box. :Doh:

Finished up the resin yesterday and applied a coat of black spray paint this morning.  Again, this is just to camouflage the baffle. I honestly don’t ever remember seeing the factory baffle behind the grill, but maybe that’s because it was black!

2319AAB6-2246-4E10-B940-7F30FA5E1D6C.jpeg

Great progress!

The lazy man in me wants to know why you taped it off?  The inside of the box can't be seen (and who cares about overspray), and same goes for the sides?

20 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Great progress!

The lazy man in me wants to know why you taped it off?  The inside of the box can't be seen (and who cares about overspray), and same goes for the sides?

Idk... if just felt like the right thing to do after all that work!  Took me maybe 5 mins (reused the newspaper off my garage floor). 

Unfortunately the box will sit like this until later this week (work travel). 

Edited by IXFE
9 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Unfortunately the box will sit like this until later this week (work travel). 

probably for the best. Gives the paint and resin a chance to fully cure.  You'll be glad to have waited in the end.