Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu M5 M6 winterization

ahopkins22LSV

Adding to this for the newer ballast pumps with the electronic valves. It is been mentioned a few times here that they can crack if the fill pumps are not run during the winterization process. 

ahopkins22LSV
11 minutes ago, gahvey said:

do you mean filling them with antifreeze or just making sure they are drained?

The suggestions @csleaver has posted is just to run them. I don't think sucking antifreeze up is required. He can probably confirm though.

ahopkins22LSV
13 minutes ago, gahvey said:

What year did they start doing these new pumps?

2021/22 ish. I don't fully remember. Even if you don't have the e-valves, it won't hurt to run all of the fill pumps.

• 3 weeks later...

I am summerizing my boat. 23LSV 2019. The dealer winterized it. I replaced all of the blue T handle plugs but there was a Brass 5/16 threaded “plug” they had in the bag that came from somewhere and I can’t locate where it came from. Does anyone know where this plug goes on the engine? I’ve looked everywhere. 

Edited by Gerrad
Spelling

The VD might have a square drain plug, but the blue mouse ear was the only “winterization plug” involved in the winterization process for the VD IAW the manual on my M5. On my old 2010 Monsoon, the trans cooler had a brass drain plug in the bottom of it. The only other brass plug would be the transom drain plug but it is 1/2”.

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, Gerrad said:

I am summerizing my boat. 23LSV 2019. The dealer winterized it. I replaced all of the blue T handle plugs but there was a Brass 5/16 threaded “plug” they had in the bag that came from somewhere and I can’t locate where it came from. Does anyone know where this plug goes on the engine? I’ve looked everywhere. 

Did you check the transom plug under the wedge? There is not a brass plug on these engines that need to be removed for winterization. 

What about the plug under the V-drive? I think in the first year or so of that engine all the plugs weren’t blue. When I pull mine there are 4. Two on drain lines on each side of the engine, one on the bottom side of the engine starboard side, and one under the v-drive.

• 3 months later...
OtherBoatisaCessna

Ahhh, time to think about winterization again!  

I think I’m going to get a 5-gallon bucket and run AF into the boat this year for peace of mind.  Where is this raw water intake valve - I looked for it last year and couldn’t find it (I.e. where is the valve that causes the boat to “pull” water from the hose fitting on the port side of the transom)?  Thanks for the help.

11 hours ago, OtherBoatisaCessna said:

Ahhh, time to think about winterization again!  

I think I’m going to get a 5-gallon bucket and run AF into the boat this year for peace of mind.  Where is this raw water intake valve - I looked for it last year and couldn’t find it (I.e. where is the valve that causes the boat to “pull” water from the hose fitting on the port side of the transom)?  Thanks for the help.

If you have a '21+ newer boat, the shutoff valve in at the the transom, not far from the drain plug, right below the sea strainer.  Shut that off and hook up the garden hose and you're good to go.

Hello new to the Crew, taking delivery of 21LX right before winter in PA so brushing up on winterization.  Looks very easy but one area of confusion in the online manual referring to "tape shut the water inlet" followed a sentence or two later by "the water pickup does not need to be taped"  What in the world is that referring to?  Isn't there just a brass valve that cuts off the water intake for cooling the heat exchanger?  

Thanks for any advice!

49 minutes ago, SurfinPA said:

Hello new to the Crew, taking delivery of 21LX right before winter in PA so brushing up on winterization.  Looks very easy but one area of confusion in the online manual referring to "tape shut the water inlet" followed a sentence or two later by "the water pickup does not need to be taped"  What in the world is that referring to?  Isn't there just a brass valve that cuts off the water intake for cooling the heat exchanger?  

Thanks for any advice!

It's a confusing statement. I asked the dealer about that. They weren't sure and said they never tape anything. Basically, pull drain plugs and bump the engine over to get the last water out.

2 hours ago, BvrGuy said:

It's a confusing statement. I asked the dealer about that. They weren't sure and said they never tape anything. Basically, pull drain plugs and bump the engine over to get the last water out.

Thank you!  It almost seems too easy.   One last question, if out of water and you want to use the flush valve on the transom, do you need to close the water intake on the bottom or will it just suck the water into the exchanger once the boat is started?

Appreciate it!

3 minutes ago, SurfinPA said:

Thank you!  It almost seems too easy.   One last question, if out of water and you want to use the flush valve on the transom, do you need to close the water intake on the bottom or will it just suck the water into the exchanger once the boat is started?

Appreciate it!

Pretty sure there's a check valve that engages once you start the engine and the impeller starts spinning. For me, when I hooked up to the flush connection on the transom, water would shoot out of the raw water intake until I started the engine.

15 minutes ago, teamerickson said:

Pretty sure there's a check valve that engages once you start the engine and the impeller starts spinning. For me, when I hooked up to the flush connection on the transom, water would shoot out of the raw water intake until I started the engine.

Thanks this forum is wonderful!

My boat has no check valve that I can tell. I start the engine with the ball valve for the hull intake open so I don't blow a hose off inside the engine compartment due to the pressure from the garden hose. After the engine is started, I close the valve to make sure I don't starve the engine of water. The pressure should be a lot less when the engine is running.

2 hours ago, SurfinPA said:

Appreciate it!

you should shut the raw water intake valve when using the flush/garden hose hookup.  Don't want to be sucking in all that air from an open water intake valve.  Just remember to open valve after done so you don't forget it's closed.  I believe the maunual also mentions to shut intake valve.

On 4/10/2019 at 7:03 PM, hethj7 said:

I buried this info in another thread but was urged to get it here for future reference.  

The manual points out 6 points to winterize.  This includes the midship and transom drain plugs in the hull.  3 others are on the motor and 1 is on the v-drive.  

Apparently not all builds have the drain plug on the starboard side hose as shown in the manual (photo below).  If that is the case, just disconnect the hose from the heat exchanger.  

The manual also references to blow out the heater, if you have one.   My dealer confirmed with Malibu the heater is indeed part of the closed side of the cooling system and therefore does not need to be drained. 

Finding the drain tubes the first time is easiest if you remove the engine side panels, but once you know where they are, they can easily be reached without removing the panels.   

Winterization on these motors really couldn’t be much easier!   

A big shoutout to #Stateamind for clarifying things and providing the winterization diagram, which isn’t found in the manual.  

5CC0D438-97EB-4B40-B134-69133B5941CF.thumb.jpeg.c9d3ee6336c317f62a746444216b438d.jpegDF2A55E6-07DC-4BBB-B656-B80481BCF316.thumb.png.34e4dbcaa66219b38d35d8477b64d743.png

Port side manifold drain tube plug location, with cables shown below.  When pulling this plug, you may want to hold the tube and direct water away from the battery cable connection that is somewhat below it, just to be safe. Note, don’t get confused  by the oil drain whip that is shown in this photo attached to the lifting eye.   The drain tube has the blue plug on it   

E03C771E-F35E-456B-AE2A-71C9E3EA14E4.thumb.jpeg.168b00bb488911c7f54f03099a83bef1.jpeg

Starboard side manifold drain tube

5E41EC13-5383-4370-9D06-27B1CDAB5502.thumb.jpeg.b26a1f278a2ef30ae0a5f83cc32b0c88.jpeg

Hi, I have 2019 22LSV. On the first picture from the manual,  I don't have the blue plug near the Heat Exchanger, so do I unscrew the (2) clamps and pull the black hose off to drain the water.  Thanks, 

1 hour ago, Jasondao25 said:

Hi, I have 2019 22LSV. On the first picture from the manual,  I don't have the blue plug near the Heat Exchanger, so do I unscrew the (2) clamps and pull the black hose off to drain the water.  Thanks, 

Yes, pull the hose off of the heat exchanger to drain the water out. You will get very little out of it IME. I got more water out of the VD than anywhere else and that was barely a 2 tablespoon amount. 

6 minutes ago, wdr said:

Yes, pull the hose off of the heat exchanger to drain the water out. You will get very little out of it IME. I got more water out of the VD than anywhere else and that was barely a 2 tablespoon amount. 

Thanks.  I just took out the rear panels to see and pulling that hose off will be a pain in a.  Almost like you have to put your head all the way down to locate the hose/clamp, then unscrew.  

1 minute ago, Jasondao25 said:

Thanks.  I just took out the rear panels to see and pulling that hose off will be a pain in a.  Almost like you have to put your head all the way down to locate the hose/clamp, then unscrew.  

Yeah, thats what yoy need to do. Its not quite as bad as it seems....